ultimate mini systems

sponger

ultimate mini systems
« on: 14 Dec 2004, 09:12 am »
If this has been discussed on here before, then I apologize.

I've been looking around for a decent microsystem in the $250-$350 range in online prices. After doing a little research, I've narrowed it down to a refurbed yamaha mcr series for around $250 and a denon dm50s refurbed for about $300. I've read some online consumer reviews about both. Oddly, the denon reviewers compare it to the yamaha, and visa versa for the yamaha. Are they so similar that paying the extra $50 for the denon won't make a difference? thanks for looking.

Here's the denon:
http://www.audioreview.com/Mini%20Systems/Denon/PRD_129868_2749crx.aspx

here's the yamaha:

http://www.audioreview.com/Mini%20Systems/Yamaha/PRD_124627_2749crx.aspx

BeeBop

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2004, 10:14 am »
Warning: This site produced 2 popup ads when I entered it.

Tonto Yoder

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2004, 11:17 am »
I liked the "review" of the Denon:
"I just bought this mini stereo to put in my dance room. ...Anyways, I listened to it in the store, and it sounded really good, way better than the high end Yamaha next to it. The JVC with the cylindrical speakers was a good contender though, with it's seperate subwoofer. Anyways, the Denon sounds great, better than an Onkyo I looked at, with more or less the same styling.
The box is in the back of my truck right now, it says that it weighs 12kg. I'm not familiar with the metric system, but the guy who brought it to my truck was huge, and he had to use a dolly, so I figure 12kg is at least 500 pounds. I'm having a couple friends over tommorow to try to put it in the bedroom, but I'm not sure if the table I have for it will support that much weight."

A 500 lb. mini system?? "Reviewed" while it's still in the back of the truck??

tex-amp

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2004, 06:00 pm »
A huge guy that needed a dolly for something under 30LBS?

zachslc

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2004, 07:34 pm »
If you are lookign for small what about the NAD cd player/reveiver integrated one-box unit (not sure of the model number, imagine it goes for not too terribly much money on ebay) and some decent but inexpensive bookshelf speakers?  I think it is a natural audiophile reaction to cringe at anything with all components included in one package.  Then again I have never heard the products in question so I should reserve judgment.  I will happily carry on assuming they suck.

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
ultimate mini systems
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2004, 07:49 pm »
No recommendations here, per se. However, if you can buy the minisystem without the speakers, that's the best way to go, in my experience, because the tranducers are the weak link in most mini/midi systems. Then just go out and buy a great pair of easily driven speakers, like the little Axiom M2is or M3Tis, for example. You will be astounded how reasonable these systems can sound when the weakest link is sorted.

sponger

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2004, 06:40 am »
thanks for the opinions, everyone.

Passive Chappy

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2004, 07:40 am »
Check this Sharp out.  I'm burning one in for my Mom and it sounds pretty good.

I think you can get it at Overstock.com for around $80.

http://www.laaudiofile.com/sdex111.html

sponger

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2004, 09:28 am »
hmm. that's interesting. $80 seems like a damn good deal.

Also, someone mentioned upgrading the speakers right away. The major selling point that is stressed for the denon seems to be its Mission speakers. I'm not familiar with Mission speakers. Should they weigh heavily on my decision?

Tonto Yoder

ultimate mini systems
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2004, 01:18 pm »
Mission has been a well-regarded British loudspeaker company for some years, so the inclusion of the Missions with the Denon package MIGHT well pique one's interest.
(Of course, they still could be mediocre speakers just with the "Mission" badge on them).
There's a Stereophile review of one recent Mission speaker.

Or buy small Missions to go with that Sharp unit mentioned above?