USB Cable Shootout

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: USB Cable Shootout
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2017, 12:16 pm »
Thanks for the info Johnny2Bad.

In my case , MacBook Air that only has two USB jacks, the only thing plugged into my laptop was the USB going to my DAC (and maybe the magnetic power connector).

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2017, 06:06 pm »
This is a little off topic but for people that are using a laptop and dac, I just built a dedicated music desktop computer to replace 2 of my SOTA high end music laptops (over $1K each  I7 6700HQ cpu) and the improvement in sound is fabulous.  Blacker background, more transparency, detail and resolution.  I am hearing things in some songs that I did not hear before.

I am running the desktop with out a monitor and controlling it with Windows Remote desktop with one of my laptops but a tablet and cell phone can work.  Splashtop personal a free remote program works almost as good as Windows Desktop Remote if you don't have Win 10 Pro edition on you desktop.

I suspect it is due to the better power supply and the fact that I placed my 5 TB WD Red HD inside the computer.   I was using it in an external HD case via usb 3.0 to the laptop.

This was clearly a much bigger improvement than any of the usb cables that I have tried.

My computer build-
I7 7700K cpu
Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR4 Ram at 3000mhz
Gigabyte Z270 Motherboard with upgraded caps
Samsung Evo 850 SSD for OS and music players
WD Red 5 TB internal HD for music storage
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo cpu fan
TP-Link Archer AC1300 wireless network card PCI-e
Win 10 Pro
Crucial RM550x power supply with a silent fan and very low ripple
Fractal Design R5 Mid tower case with sound insulation

All for just under $1K with parts on sale from New Egg and Microcenter.  You can build a similar computer for less by going with an I5 cpu, cheaper SSD and a little slower ram.

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2017, 08:30 pm »
I suspect it is due to the better power supply and the fact that I placed my 5 TB WD Red HD inside the computer.
Instead of using the computer's power supply, replace the HD power supply with a linear regulated ps and you will get another jump in clarity along with deeper, tighter bass. All the electronics on the motherboard (and the hard drive) throw noise back into the system, a stand alone ps eliminates that noise. I hot wired my HD to a TeraDac U9. You will have to make your own 5v USB to SATA power cable (10 minutes) and remember to turn on the ps before booting but the results are amazing.

And even with the isolated HD and a V2 Paul Pang USB card ($129) running off an Acopian 5EB200 (there is a Acopian 5EB250 for $15 on eBay right now) the USB cable choice still makes a big difference, maybe more because all the grunge is gone.