Probably 2U with a 1U separate power supply = I want to include the active crossover for our speakers in it.
Great to hear.
Some other questions/suggestions (a few which I might have said in the past?):
1) Will it be a modular design. I imagined something like a BP + BDA combo in its base form, with the option to add crossovers. Keeps the price lower for people who just want the DAC and Preamp.
2) Power supply - same question as others. MPS-2 or different.
3) A pair of FIXED balanced outputs in addition to the variable output(s).
4) Remote control (I think you already said this will have remote control).
5) Volume control of the hardware analog section via ethernet (I don't know if this is a no-no from a design standpoint or even possible). Imagine having control of BDP and BDA and BP section on the same Manic Moose page!
6) Balanced Analog inputs - I think this would improve the longevity of the unit.
Can't wait to see what you guys do with it!