McIntosh power amp to Bryston....

miatadan

• Industry Participant
McIntosh power amp to Bryston....
« on: 7 Jun 2017, 03:04 am »
After having McIntosh MC302 power amplifier for many years, sold it to purchase Bryston 4B3 cubed. Last year purchased Magnepan MG1.7i and did not find the match great with McIntosh.
Will miss the glass front and blue meters but I know Bryston has been paired many years with Magnepan at audio shows and even at Magnepan factory.
I do like the led clip lights to let me know if I get carried away with volume control )))
I have owned Bryston products in the past and yes they are world class and some of the best customer service.

cheers

Dan

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Re: McIntosh power amp to Bryston....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2017, 02:51 am »
Congratulations Dan. So how are you enjoying the 4B3 now?

Any updates?

Thank you.

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2017, 03:12 am »
Congratulations Dan. So how are you enjoying the 4B3 now?

Any updates?

Thank you.

Still have not received the Bryston 4B3

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2017, 03:31 am »
Still have not received the Bryston 4B3

When I bought my 4B-SST² I had to wait to get it made too.
My dealer had the BP-26 in stock, but the amp took ten days to arrive.

In a way it is nice to think it is being made on order just for you.

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2017, 03:37 am »
When I bought my 4B-SST² I had to wait to get it made too.
My dealer had the BP-26 in stock, but the amp took ten days to arrive.

In a way it is nice to think it is being made on order just for you.

Yes, you are right, I was even able to specify plitron transformers to be used )))

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2017, 11:53 pm »

I didn't know that there were options available. You specified Plitron vs standard transformers? What kind of upgrade will that give you? Please forgive my ignorance of how Plitron differs.

Yes, you are right, I was even able to specify plitron transformers to be used )))

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2017, 02:58 am »
A Plitron is a standard transformer. But Bryston doesn't use Plitron exclusively. So if you want a Plitron, just ask them for one. It should make zero difference in sound or performance.
It's sort of akin to saying you want Michelin tires vs Goodyears when you buy a new car. The tires have the same specs, ratings, performance, warranty, etc, but you prefer one vs the other for your own reasons. The dealer is willing to accommodate.....so, why not? If it makes you feel better about your purchase, go for it. I probably would too, to be perfectly honest. :thumb:

techguy0192

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:10 pm »
I hope the OP tried the different output taps on the McIntosh....even the 2ohm taps....before ditching it.  The MC302 is a very nice and extremely capable amplifier. 

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm »
I hope the OP tried the different output taps on the McIntosh....even the 2ohm taps....before ditching it.  The MC302 is a very nice and extremely capable amplifier.

I did try all the different taps but for me the 8 ohm tap sounded best. My MC302 would shut down after 1 hour from themal issues ( heat sink/fins hot enough to burn my hands ) I ended up using the 4 ohm taps without problems but did not have the same punch /slam of the 8 ohm tap. Miss the meters and general look of my MC302. Wanted to get another McIntosh preamp but other expenses preventing this at moment.