My Wedgies have been up and running since July but I just got around to making the sub amp boxes a
few weeks ago. I was about to start wiring them up in June when my wife knocked one of the Wedgies off
the base and damaged the top and scratched up the veneer.
My original goal with these was just to make them look better as I never thought they would be a nice looking
speaker from a finishing standpoint. I just wanted back as soon as possible so I cut corners. But they were coming
out much nicer than expected so I went back and did a better job with them.
I had originally just put a piece of veneer on, put a few coats of lacquer it and painted them. They looked much better
but compared to the base with about 30 coats of lacquer it didn't look as nice. Also the sharp corners on the veneer
did not go with all the rounded edges on the rest of the speaker.
To make a nicer looking seam where the veneer met the paint, I made a template, rounded off the corners and cut a
groove around the edge of the veneer with a 1/8" straight bit. That made all the difference. Fixed the rest of the damage, put about 15 more coats
of lacquer on and repainted them.
This is the first version
This is it with the rounded corners. The 1/8" groove makes a much cleaner and nicer looking seam and the
rounded corners match the rest of the speaker.
Quickly built up some matching sub amp boxes a few weeks ago and they are now done.
They came out much nicer than I ever hoped for. They sound incredible, but everyone already knows that.
I had been listening to my X-statiks while I rebuilt the Wedgies, and as much as I love my X-statiks, hearing the
Wedgies again was another jaw dropping experience. They are in just a whole different ballpark.