Nuforce STA200

Hogg

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2017, 02:23 am by Hogg »

srb

Re: Nuforce STA200
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:13 am »
Reading Audio Advisor's copy, it says

"A linear power supply, which is uncommon in most Class-D amps, produces the ultimate experience for audio enthusiasts."

It then goes on to say

"The purist design philosophy of this class AB amp is evident in many of its features, from the hand-selected components and circuit designs to the minimalist acoustically damped all metal chassis."

So which is it - a Class D switching amplifier or a Class AB linear amplifer?

Steve

Hogg

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:23 am »
According to the Absolute sound review it is  class A/B.

Jim

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:16 pm »
Google images show a class A/B topology for sure. Very interesting amp.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:57 pm »
I wonder whether it can be monoblocked.  It would be a giant slayer then, especially if I believe the review in TABSound. 
I thought NuForced was folded into nothing after its acquisition and merger with Optoma but I am glad that they are producing gear/ :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2017, 05:30 pm »
I wonder whether it can be monoblocked.  It would be a giant slayer then, especially if I believe the review in TABSound. 
I thought NuForced was folded into nothing after its acquisition and merger with Optoma but I am glad that they are producing gear/ :thumb:

I don't know all of Nuforce's markets or distribution locations. However, the brand is alive and well in Taiwan where it is based. Optoma did buy it as you mentioned, but they have not swallowed it whole. My impression is that it is marketed to the mostly younger crowd who don't have deep pockets. I guess their products are mid-fi to somewhere in entry-level hifi.

There is a similar Taiwan based brand called DA&T that directly competes with Nuforce products. My impression is that DA&T is more popular than Nuforce. Their reputation is better. I got to listen to a 100w/ch DA&T integrated amp powering a pair of entry level Usher monitors. It was definitely mid-fi sound, but perfectly suitable for background listening.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2017, 05:42 pm »

Most often if an amplifier can operated in a bridged mono mode, the rear panel legend indicates that the two positive speaker posts are the connections for a single mono speaker (with polarity marked) and which of the two stereo inputs is designated for the mono input.

Steve

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2017, 10:27 pm »
Looks pretty much identical to the JOB 225 amp with half the output transistors.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: Nuforce STA200 vs JOB 225
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2021, 01:04 pm »
am super impressed with the sonics of the sta-200.   its fantastic on speed, dynamics, soundstage etc.  wondering if anyone has compared the sta-200 to its "parent" job 225 amp?

like, could the 225 be even better?

thanks for any input

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:03 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if these amps can still be purchased as I don't see any for sale on the internet.

Cheers Rod

annamarykahn

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2021, 07:36 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if these amps can still be purchased as I don't see any for sale on the internet.

Cheers Rod

uncertain if i should reply, but i have one that i'm thinking of selling

genjamon

Re: Nuforce STA200 vs JOB 225
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2021, 02:18 am »
am super impressed with the sonics of the sta-200.   its fantastic on speed, dynamics, soundstage etc.  wondering if anyone has compared the sta-200 to its "parent" job 225 amp?

like, could the 225 be even better?

thanks for any input

I have owned one for a few years since they went on sale as in the original post of this thread.  I also used to own a Job 225 for a couple years back in 2013-14.  I recall reading a couple posts a few years ago when I was researching the Nuforce before purchasing that had compared the two.  The general consensus was that the Nuforce was a touch warmer/fuller than the Job.  The Job definitely could be considered a bit thin/threadbare in the wrong system.  It leans toward a faster and leaner sound character.  My feeling is the Nuforce shares the general strengths of the Job, but is a just a touch less clinical.  It's right at home in my TV system driving some older Tekton Lores.  But I have found that I need to match it with warmer cables to get the right tonal character out of that system.

skiroe

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2021, 04:48 pm »
There is a seller on ebay that indicates he has a couple for sale new in box.   I was really getting close to pulling the trigger (yesterday)    but now that I think about it and especially after reading a thread over on Audiogon re/issues with preamp matching deciding not to.   Im thinking that they simply designed the amp with too much gain (for some reason) --It is so much more than what is usually implemented.    But what do I know.. Just my thoughts--maybe If I heard one first ..  The thread though seems to indicate  that it is more or less hit or miss  with tube pre's and why should one be worried about what pre can or can not be used--at least to the degree that users reported in the A'gon thread.     Not sure If I saw this comment as well over here but posters in the A'gon thread say they have used an interface passive between their tube pre and the STA200..   Why go there?

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2021, 05:21 pm »
In addition to what genjamon has noted, I'll add that this amp does it's best work into a speaker with a fairly benign impedance curve. In other words, genjamon's Tekton's are a great fit. When I matched the the STA200 up with the 4 ohm Spatial M2 Turbo's, not a good match.  After about an hour, the amp got fairly warm and the presentation became somewhat ragged. So in summary, I'd say speaker matching is every bit as critical as pre-amp matching. In the end, I shipped it back to Audio Advisor within the 30 day audition period.

skiroe

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2021, 06:44 pm »
FWIW dept.   Sure some may  have more patience than I to spend some time on it.   It is contradictory though in regards to what many have heard with their own ears.   

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nuforce-sta-200-power-amp.5039/

ExileSt

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2021, 03:12 am »
Because I don't want to let Audio Science Review have the last word here  :wink: ... I'll revive the thread and throw in my $.02 on the STA200:

I love it. 

It's got both guts and air, and for about two years it's gotten the most playing time of any of my amps, going in to Spatial Audio M3TMs (there's that benign impedance curve mentioned above.)  Plays very well with tube pres, but a word of caution, the gain is unusually high in the Nuforce -- I think that was probably mentioned in one of the reviews.  So with sensitive speakers like mine, I found the Freya+ with it's stepped attenuator to be a better match than my Odyssey Candela which (1) didn't give a lot of useful range on the volume pot and (2) ended up being a bit noisy through the Nuforce.

I don't anticipate selling mine anytime soon, and definitely recommend picking one up.