Different Fuse Manufactures worth the extra cost for Sound Quality ?

trackball02

My experience in replacing my 3A Buss fuse with a HIFI Gold Tuning fuse is the complete opposite of all of the hype out there.

I have two systems, each supplied by an Allnic L3000 Mk2 preamp either feeding a Tube Audio Lab 300b amp to Yamaha NS1000s or feeding a Tube Audio Lab 2A3 amp to Omega Alnic XRSs.  The test consisted of swapping the fuses while leaving every thing else the same such as volume and turntable source.

In both instances, the stock fuse sounded much better by a long shot. It was not subtle, I can hear the difference withing 30 seconds after a needle drop.

The HIFI Gold Tuning fuse lessened that special holographic 3D mid range associated with SET amps. The music sounded recessed and more ordinary. It did not change if I switched the direction the fuse was inserted. Granted this was not a blinded trial. In fact, I was rooting for the HIFI Tuning Fuse given the stupid money that I paid for it.

I would encourage that you try one out in your system yourself. Listening is believing. I might try in other equipment; otherwise, I have a used HIFI tuning fuse just sitting around. I wondering if it will fit in my Hickok tube tester?

clive101

I have purchased six synergistic blue fuses, 4 have been burning in on servers running 24/7 for the last few weeks.

Today I decided to blind test one of the six that has not been burnt in on a headphone amp with two identical power cables that came with my Bryston Amps.

I can  confirm I was  to identify with 100 percent accuracy the blue fuse in my headphone system, it was more transparent, vocals were more natural.

I will try in the HIfi system shortly.... more to follow

hi5harry

In the five systems I am familiar with, better fuses have made a very nice difference. The good thing is my system never did blow fuses, even when they were stock fuses, so now I have a decent stash of better fuses to " fuse roll", if you will. I am a HUGE fan of Audio Magic fuses. They are the best in my system. I think Isoclean's are great for the money. I didn't like the Furutech fuse in my gear. This could all be system dependent. Like trying swapping different power cords. It's also easy to reverse if you don't like the change. It's a fun rainy day project that may maximize your systems potential.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
  Yes they can make a difference in sound. For me though removing fuse and using a 10ga. wire instead beat any after market fuse we tried. Our favorite fuse is the Audio magic.
  Since all the components are protected from surges by conditioning used a breaker in lieu of fuse at conditioner there was no need for power fuse.
  It maybe living on the edge however to date no issues. Speaking of breakers the Gigawatt [1] pole 20A breaker made by Carling Technologies for Gigawatt uses a large fusible link eliminating the tiny fusible link common to breakers and fuses.
   Why throttle the electricity at the fuse or breaker ? Makes no good sense.

charles

WGH

...there was no need for power fuse.

Congrats, You get the 2018 WGH Award for bad advise   :slap:

Just this year I had a tube in my pre-amp go bad with a loud screech, the 5 amp left channel fuse in my amp did it's job and saved a $260 tweeter.

garyalex

I've replaced the four tube fuses in my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated.  I'm using the Synergistics Research Black Quantum fuses.  Against all reason and logic these things made a positive difference.  What I'm hearing is increased smoothness and clarity.  It isn't a night and day difference but it's still an audible improvement.  I admit that the possibility exists that I'm only hearing an improvement because I really want to.  Still, the amp sounds better with them than without.   

Wind Chaser

Against all reason and logic these things made a positive difference.

Yes, that is very true. I wasn’t expecting to hear a difference, much less a positive difference when I put one in my DAC, but there’s no doubt in my mind that these things really do (or at least can) make a positive difference. I’ve only tried one by HiFi Tuning, and contrary to all expectations, it really surprisied me.

twitch54

I admit that the possibility exists that I'm only hearing an improvement because I really want to.   

Thank you for your honesty ..........

OzarkTom

I have found very subtle improvements, maybe 5-10% in most amps. Blind folded, I might not be able to tell. The AMR's are $20 each, I refuse to pay any higher..

underdog64

I’ve tried several fuse manufacturers and Alan Maher’s Quadcell Graphene fuses are by far the best.-150db noise suppression in the circuit they’re used.Only downside is long breakin for top performance (200+hours) due to the Graphene.Oh price is very reasonable $75 for small size. :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Congrats, You get the 2018 WGH Award for bad advise   :slap:

Just this year I had a tube in my pre-amp go bad with a loud screech, the 5 amp left channel fuse in my amp did it's job and saved a $260 tweeter.

Same here.  My preamp has a special feature that tells me if a tube goes south.   It blows a power fuse.

Three times over 3-4 years the solution has been a new tube.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  Yes they can make a difference in sound. For me though removing fuse and using a 10ga. wire instead beat any after market fuse we tried. Our favorite fuse is the Audio magic.
  Since all the components are protected from surges by conditioning using a breaker in lieu of fuse at conditioner there was no need for power fuse.
  It maybe living on the edge however to date no issues. Speaking of breakers the Gigawatt [1] pole 20A breaker made by Carling Technologies for Gigawatt uses a large fusible link eliminating the tiny fusible link common to breakers and fuses.

charles

Gentleman NOT advising to pull your fuses, I just experimented using a 10ga wire. Sounds much better however as pointed out not safe. Now using gigawatt breaker in lieu of fuse. Even better and protected. A fuse in say a Maggie you can pull that one and try a wire. Best is a polished 1/4' copper tube if not looking to tame tweeter with fuse.
  Sorry for the confusion and thanks for deserved award.

charles

Wind Chaser

Gentleman NOT advising to pull your fuses, I just experimented using a 10ga wire.... A fuse in say a Maggie you can pull that one and try a wire.

I did that with my Maggie’s many years ago and I heard a difference, not a big difference but enough to justify leaving the wire in place. And unless one listens very loud where there’s the possibility of clipping, I don’t see the point of fuses in speakers.

As for replacing the stock fuse in a source / DAC with a so called audiophile fuse, my experience - contrary to all expectations - was very positive. So are they worth it? As with all things, opinions will vary, but I think it’s definitely worth exploring.

rollo

• Industry Participant
Absolutely worth trying. So far the Audio  Magic fuses were best for us. Maggies benefit from using a 1/4" highly polished copper tube in lieu of fuse. Try it and be happy.
The whole power thing from panel to outlet to conditioner to component is key for better sound. The most affective so far is using a sub-panel then splitting mono block amps and mono block preamp to separate circuits [ 20A ] and conditioning each. Then a third circuit [ 15A ] and conditioner used for digital gear.  All dedicated lines are same length to avoid ground loops. Breakers used do not have that tiny fusible link that throttles the electricity.
  Inserting a aftermarket fuse now is very easy to hear the difference. Audio Magic, Alan Maher and Synergystic research are the ones to try.

charles

hi5harry

I'm very happy with the difference Audio Magic fuses have made in my system. If I wanted  to spend a lot less, or that piece of equipment had a tendency to blow fuses, I would buy Isoclean's  because the price isn't too expensive. I tried the Furutech's in my system and they were not a good match. That's just my system.  It's just great to have some tuning options.