Different Fuse Manufactures worth the extra cost for Sound Quality ?

clive101

Does anyone have experience of different fuse manufactures..?

Price per performance for example Bussmann vs Synergistic Research or any other manufacturer ...?

Big Red Machine

I have had nothing but positive results with anything containing graphene be it speaker cables, power cables, or fuses. I highly recommend the SR UEF fuses. Like putting a new fuel filter and injection cleaner in your car.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
In 40+ years of trying to be a good audiophile have tried several tweaks, but never uber expensive and never more than once as only two have made a significant difference, and that was 1.) swapping out my tiny equipment rack for a shelf on the floor to hold my small system (it cleared up the blockage in the soundstage the rack created); and 2.) Swapping out a $2 cap to try a borrowed $50 cap on a $20 ambience tweeter (if that makes any sense). 

Tried a boutique fuse once, made zero difference.

Life is too short and money too scarce to worry about such minutia.  But YMMV.

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
The only place I have tried boutique fuses is in my Magnepan speakers.
And even there, after many years of never blowing a fuse or a panel, I bypassed the midrange fuse bracket entirely.

Since I have never tried any sort of boutique fuses in the vast majority of equipment. I really refrain from saying they are sonically better or not. I have though, read a lot about the idea of 'upgrading' fuses in various websites.

However I am willing to say the boutique fuses in general are not tested and made to the same fail safe ratings of the standard well inspected and tested fuses.

One thing I DO know, is sticking in a fuse one rating (or amp) higher can sound better, even for cheap common fuse. (And I suspect, with no proof other than a good hunch) that being able to pass more current IS the reason the boutique fuses sound better.
So really IMO you are paying $$$ for some other guy to decide you can risk running a higher value fuse. (rather than the exact rating spec'ed by the designer)

And as I am not even interested in this enough to experiment, I leave it to folks who give a damn (and who might respect or take a mild interest in my glorified guess/opinion) to see if I am right.
LOL

I ONLY mention below about other AC stuff to offer a background of my attitude about AC products in general, and not to discuss them in this thread.
I am not much on fuses, but other AC power products I have tried and use. Like aftermarket power cords, better duplex outlets, power conditioners.. I have tried some of those and have modest use of them in my system. The most money, and the most experience, having owned several previous ones, for me, is in the AC power conditioners. I still own two, combined retail $4,300 which I bought both used for a total of $2,400. I would NEVER have spent the retail money on them, I just lucked out finding exactly the ones I wanted used, local enough to go pick up. (Greater Chicago area) MY power cords are all entry level aftermarket. I doubt I will ever go more $$$, ditto the Duplex.

I want other big ticket things way more than I want some better AC products.
Maybe some day I will have money to burn, and discover what I was missing? maybe I have no idea (but actually do not think I am missing much from my AC)
I ONLY mention this about other AC stuff to offer a background of my attitude about AC products in general, and not to discuss them in this thread.

wushuliu

• “Forget it, Jake. It’s Internet-town.”
Does anyone have experience of different fuse manufactures..?

Price per performance for example Bussmann vs Synergistic Research or any other manufacturer ...?

Depends on the component. IME components that have higher current draw benefit more like amps, certain power supplies, etc. low draw like blu ray player or dac not so much (if lower powered).

You dont have to spend a lot to test differences. Start with ceramic vs glass bodied like littleman, bussman etc or even acme silver plated. If differences audible then move up.

For amplifier fuses always made a difference and quite audibly.

clive101

Thanks for the information.
I thought I would update as to my particular set up.
I have tested some expensive power cords and a Torus power supply and the Torus won by a large margin and in the camp that power supply conditioning makes a big difference so lead me to research power fuses.
Reading up on the net it would seem fuses make a difference as well.
How easy it is for the power to get though the fuse would make sense as reading up on power supply this seems to be an all round issue.
So for Amps it would seem more critical ( as suggested earlier ).
So the main fuse for the Torus takes all the power UK 13 amp ( although the Torus I have is rated 16 amp long story it could be connected with a 16 amp mains plug ) and then every thing is plugged into the Torus.
It would seem I would have to purchase fuses for all items connected to the Torus as well..?

Elizabeth

It would seem I would have to purchase fuses for all items connected to the Torus as well..?

Well it would be an experiment on your part.
LISTENING is the key.
Perhaps trying a few (like in the amplifier) first. You would need to form your OWN opinion of which fuse makes a difference.
The internet is full of notions. The only way to definitively find out for yourself it to do some reading, then take the plunge with one you think, after careful consideration, is worth trying out.
The LISTENING is the only way to decide if it actually is better  IN YOUR SYSTEM, To YOUR EARS.

clive101

Well it would be an experiment on your part.
LISTENING is the key.
Perhaps trying a few (like in the amplifier) first. You would need to form your OWN opinion of which fuse makes a difference.
The internet is full of notions. The only way to definitively find out for yourself it to do some reading, then take the plunge with one you think, after careful consideration, is worth trying out.
The LISTENING is the only way to decide if it actually is better  IN YOUR SYSTEM, To YOUR EARS.

Hello Elizabeth,

I do agree, and will try if need be.

Rather than purchasing many types thought I would ask the forum to see if any one else had a similar experience with fuses, before embarking on the expense.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
A question to all these audiophile expensive fuses custumers: This expensive fuse has worked in an electrical event and has protected your amp?

Elizabeth

A question to all these audiophile expensive fuses custumers: This expensive fuse has worked in an eçectrical event and has protected your amp?

Agree that is the problem. Most of the boutique fuses really are not tested and rated by any authority capable of giving some assurance of the fuse behaving as required.
The only hope is that the boutique fuse is close enough so the product does not destroy itself.
IMO the boutique fuses are relying on the fact most designers allow some safety factor  headroom in the fuse choice.
(rather like a car manufacturer and aftermarket 'tunes' where the manufacturer has a safety factor to not have warranty problems, and the 'tune' maker is willing to blow up your engine to get you a few extra horsepower.)

clive101

Agree that is the problem. Most of the boutique fuses really are not tested and rated by any authority capable of giving some assurance of the fuse behaving as required.
The only hope is that the boutique fuse is close enough so the product does not destroy itself.
IMO the boutique fuses are relying on the fact most designers allow some safety factor  headroom in the fuse choice.
(rather like a car manufacturer and aftermarket 'tunes' where the manufacturer has a safety factor to not have warranty problems, and the 'tune' maker is willing to blow up your engine)

You make a very good point, does any one have a definitive answer on the quality of protection boutique fuses have ..?

Hopefully they are manufactured to a certain standard. US and UK do have sales standards if it states a certain amps surely it would not be able to be sold if it did not blow at a certain ampage ..?

Elizabeth

You make a very good point, does any one have a definitive answer on the quality of protection boutique fuses have ..?

Hopefully they are manufactured to a certain standard. US and UK do have sales standards if it states a certain amps surely it would not be able to be sold if it did not blow at a certain ampage ..?

THAT is exactly the problem. The boutique fuse makers are selling tiny numbers of items. I know for a certainty in the USA no one is watching.
In the UK or EU, there may be someone overseeing the issue you raise. However it may take a consumer raising an issue (or not??) before anyone 'in charge' takes a look at if the fuses meet requirements.

I would say ASK the fuse makers what they did to meets the fuse standard. The response you get (along with proof of meeting the specs) may or may not give you a feeling of trust in them.
I do not think the dealers can give you anything but lip service about the proof the fuses meet specs and ratings.

clive101

THAT is exactly the problem. The boutique fuse makers are selling tiny numbers of items. I know for a certainty in the USA no one is watching.
In the UK or EU, there may be someone overseeing the issue you raise. However it may take a consumer raising an issue (or not??) before anyone 'in charge' takes a look at if the fuses meet requirements.

I would say ASK the fuse makers what they did to meets the fuse standard. The response you get (along with proof of meeting the specs) may or may not give you a feeling of trust in them.
I do not think the dealers can give you anything but lip service about the proof the fuses meet specs and ratings.

Just contacted a major manufacturer lets see what answer we get.

I.Greyhound Fan

I tried AMR fuses in my Magnepans and I did not like them.  They made things sound bright.  Total waste of money.

clive101

I tried AMR fuses in my Magnepans and I did not like them.  They made things sound bright.  Total waste of money.

Thanks for the update, I looked up AMR Fuses are they not standard fitment for your Magnepans..?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/power_connectors/amr_audio_fuses.html

Johnny2Bad

You can test whether a fuse marketed as a replacement for conventional fuses reasonably inexpensively by choosing a fuse designed to be used in a microwave oven. They are properly safety rated and of the same construction as exotic audio types. Try one and see for yourself.

A_shah

I use the Synergistic SR 20's in my Magnipan 1.7i, I believe at "least to my ears" they made [audible difference the Bass seems to be better, the other tweeks I made are changed the metal  jumpers to home made mogami cable #3103 jumpers  and $49 PS audio power port( don't think they made any difference as far as I can tell ) but at least I have the mental satisfaction they are good quality outlets . I have a bunch of cables(wireworld, Kimber Kables  TC 8, Monster ZZ series, audioquest ) but I seem to enjoy using home terminated Mogami #3103 cables( purchased from sweetwater for less than $ 3.00 a foot) with WBT type connectors the geometry and the build quality  on them is excellent , the sound is puncher, mellow , and just about the right Bass not to thin nor to heavy , I would like to try the Duelund silver cables or the  DCA16GA tinned copper /cotton oil hook up cables (expense ) don't know if anybody has used them as speaker cables
The SR 20's were on sale at Partsconnexion last year , hope this helps 

I.Greyhound Fan

Thanks for the update, I looked up AMR Fuses are they not standard fitment for your Magnepans..?

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/power_connectors/amr_audio_fuses.html

They fit perfectly, they just sounded like crap with my 1.6's.

clive101

I have just ordered some new Synergistic Research BLUE fuses.
Anyone interested if there make any difference in SQ...?

OzarkTom

An AMR fuse in a cheap chip amp made a positive improvement by about 15%. I refuse to spend more money. And yes, the fuse wuold blow if I made a mistake in turning the amp on wrong.