If it's free it's for me. Need help choosing speakers for free receiver

amb3cog

Thank you. I saw the Polk. I actually heard a set that was basically the same from Polk. They were all bright midrange. I ended up with the Paradigm Esprit v3. Loved their sound. Much better then the other 8 or 10 I listened to. Very nice indeed.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Congratulations on the purchase amb!

pinkfloyd4ever

Another sale alert:

Amazon has the Polk Signature S20 on sale for $250 if anyone is interested in trying those out. Or use the best buy price match guarantee and get them today 8)

amb3cog

Okay. So I ended up buying another pair of Yamaha NS-A350's for $20. I liked them better. But they're beat up. So I kept looking, and found a pair of KLH Model 33's in immaculate shape from the original owner for $25. They are not very loud compared to the other speakers. But oh the sound! And they are loud. Just compared to the Yamaha party speakers not much is probably.

So I brought back the Paradigms. And now I bought a Toshiba SA-620 from Epay for $100 in good shape. I plan on eventually redoing the caps on the KLH and spiffing up the luster on the cabinets. And if the Toshiba sounds as nice as I expect it to. I may do over that too. The Yamaha's and the Sherwood will be used, until they fail.

I've come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of the new sound. I even heard some $330 Scanspeak ring radiators on a high end SQ setup. And while they were very nice. They're just too clinical for me. I'll keep listening. But I want that warm sound. My ears are sensitive, and just seem to prefer it. I like distortion it seems. :)

So two systems for $155. And I'm happy with everything so far. Let's hope the Toshiba is even nicer. My first receiver that got me into HiFi back in the day was a Toshiba. So I think it will.

How's that for Cheap and Cheerful HiFi? I think I did good.

Thank you for all your help. :)

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Don't lump modern hifi as clinical.  There are many speakers that have warmth and musicality that also feature that detail-rich sound.

If you are looking at vintage amps, don't pass up on those Mitsubishi powerhouses.  Excellent sound for the dollar on the used market.

amb3cog

Yes they're are. But they all seem to be out of my price range. Plus I don't like the sound of the bass on the new ones. I want that old school big woofer sound I grew up with. Maybe someday I'll build my own with new drivers, and get the perfect mix of both at a price I can afford.

And I was just looking at a Mitsubishi receiver. It's digital though. One of the lighter jobs too. But maybe. What's the sound like? Are they warm at all? I'm always trying to find the less popular stuff. Like that Toshiba. If that was Pioneer. I would have paid at least twice as much. Not that I even need any more, but I can always sell what I don't want, and keep the favorites.

DSkip

• Industry Participant
Yes they're are. But they all seem to be out of my price range. Plus I don't like the sound of the bass on the new ones. I want that old school big woofer sound I grew up with. Maybe someday I'll build my own with new drivers, and get the perfect mix of both at a price I can afford.

And I was just looking at a Mitsubishi receiver. It's digital though. One of the lighter jobs too. But maybe. What's the sound like? Are they warm at all? I'm always trying to find the less popular stuff. Like that Toshiba. If that was Pioneer. I would have paid at least twice as much. Not that I even need any more, but I can always sell what I don't want, and keep the favorites.

I haven't experienced their receivers, but I have experienced their amplifiers and so have some other ears I trust.  They aren't game-changers, but they do sound MUCH better than they should given the market pricing.  The baby Marantz recievers are also darn good (2215, 2216).

amb3cog

Yea I like the Marantz stuff. My brother had one with the gyro tuning wheel thing, and 60 watts per I think. In EPI 2 ways. Couldn't tell you what models for sure. But very very nice.

I'll keep my eye out for the Mitsubishi. They're certainly worth trying out.