James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 & BDP-3 difference?
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2017, 10:17 am »
There is a little typo on page 13 of the manual:
Must be 3 ofcourse

On page 12 the front of the BDP-3 the number 8 must be 9.

james

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2017, 04:22 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate it. I like it. Faster and slightly more transparent than BDP-1. But it's very subtle. Not day/night. At the asking price, I could not resist.

BDP-1 ad:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649352861-bryston-bdp1/

cheers zoom.

How big is your library?

I currently use a 2TB hard drive and I've used around 1.1 TB. It does take a bit of time to initially redo the list when updating, but after that it's smooth.

James, do you know the max that the BDP-1 can take either together or one disc or the stuff is split across two drives. Does that make any difference? Just trying to see how that might impact future planning. Do you know the limits of both BDP-2 and BDP-3? What's the max size of the drive that can be handled and total number of tracks or data before it either stops working or gets slow?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2017, 07:23 pm »
How big is your library?

I currently use a 2TB hard drive and I've used around 1.1 TB. It does take a bit of time to initially redo the list when updating, but after that it's smooth.

James, do you know the max that the BDP-1 can take either together or one disc or the stuff is split across two drives. Does that make any difference? Just trying to see how that might impact future planning. Do you know the limits of both BDP-2 and BDP-3? What's the max size of the drive that can be handled and total number of tracks or data before it either stops working or gets slow?

I split my library onto 3 different USB drives: 2-TB (Classical), 1-TB (Prime quick-access), and 500-GB (Non-classical). No issues with BDP-2 -- I may update one drive about twice/month (1-3 albums), by detaching and rebooting the BDP. It takes about 5 mins max for BDP-2 to fully update on rebooting after re-attaching a drive. Once updated, I can still power down at night and power back up instantly when using it. As long as I don't detach a drive(s).

With BDP-1....takes more time, but I still used the same three drives -- connected thru a powered hub.

zoom25

« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2017, 07:48 pm »
I split my library onto 3 different USB drives: 2-TB (Classical), 1-TB (Prime quick-access), and 500-GB (Non-classical). No issues with BDP-2 -- I may update one drive about twice/month (1-3 albums), by detaching and rebooting the BDP. It takes about 5 mins max for BDP-2 to fully update on rebooting after re-attaching a drive. Once updated, I can still power down at night and power back up instantly when using it. As long as I don't detach a drive(s).

With BDP-1....takes more time, but I still used the same three drives -- connected thru a powered hub.

Thanks for the feedback. You said that the BDP-2 sounds a bit better. Is yours with the new IAD card? Do you plan on upgrading the BDA-1?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2017, 10:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. You said that the BDP-2 sounds a bit better. Is yours with the new IAD card? Do you plan on upgrading the BDA-1?

Yes, IAD card. Not worth upgrading, imo, with no IAD.

No plan to upgrade my BDA-1. It 's a great one.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2017, 10:29 am »
How big is your library?

Hi Zoom

Its the number of FILES the BDP has to deal with that determines its max.  I believe on the BDP-1 it was about 35,000.  The size(s) of the drive is determined by the voltage it needs to play it.  The BDP-1 was limited to very low voltage whereas the BDP-2 and the BDP-3 has much greater capability.

It you have a small library and do not use many of the features like ROON or Tidal and do not have the BOT for ripping or listening to CD's or do not care about start up times the BDP-1 should work fine.  Also transferring files over your network is much slower with the BDP-1 then the 2 or 3. 

james

zoom25

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2017, 03:08 pm »
Hi Zoom

Its the number of FILES the BDP has to deal with that determines its max.  I believe on the BDP-1 it was about 35,000.  The size(s) of the drive is determined by the voltage it needs to play it.  The BDP-1 was limited to very low voltage whereas the BDP-2 and the BDP-3 has much greater capability.

It you have a small library and do not use many of the features like ROON or Tidal and do not have the BOT for ripping or listening to CD's or do not care about start up times the BDP-1 should work fine.  Also transferring files over your network is much slower with the BDP-1 then the 2 or 3. 

james

Thanks. 35k was the number I was looking for. I was at 10-15k back when I was using Roon last summer. Since then I added more and still have to get around to transferring more. Voltage wise I'm fine with my drives.

Do you know the limit for BDP-2 or BDP-3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2017, 03:26 pm »
Thanks. 35k was the number I was looking for. I was at 10-15k back when I was using Roon last summer. Since then I added more and still have to get around to transferring more. Voltage wise I'm fine with my drives.

Do you know the limit for BDP-2 or BDP-3?

On the 2 and 3 I have over 100,000

james

zoom25

« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2017, 04:02 pm »
On the 2 and 3 I have over 100,000

james

Thanks.  :thumb:

Krutsch

« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2017, 07:37 pm »
Hi Zoom

james

The BDP-1 works perfectly with Roon; use it daily in this manner. Assuming, of course, you are on the latest BETA firmware and have a solid network connection between the BDP-1 and Roon Core/Server device.