BRYSTON ACTIVE SPEAKERS

servingko

Re: BRYSTON ACTIVE SPEAKERS
« Reply #260 on: 12 Jul 2019, 04:38 am »
Hi Folks,

Never figured on this but got an order for Mini T-REX  :thumb:

james
How does a mini T Rex differ from the TC-1 other than the crossover, or lack thereof?  Same cabinet and drivers?  Just curious.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #261 on: 13 Jul 2019, 10:53 am »
How does a mini T Rex differ from the TC-1 other than the crossover, or lack thereof?  Same cabinet and drivers?  Just curious.

Hi servingko

The TC1 is a Center channel so the spectral dispersion is adjusted differently (horizontal) rather than a vertical speaker dispersion like the Bryston Mini T. 

Also the T-REX is a stacked Active speaker whereas the TC1 is a single Passive speaker.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #262 on: 13 Jul 2019, 10:54 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T ‘ACTIVE’ – Customer Feedback

July, 2019

Hi James,

I picked up the Bryston BAX-1 Active Crossover today from Ron at Altronics. 

Ron said he spoke to Bryston and advised Bryston of my setup and that the BAX-1 was already programmed for me.  Basically plug and play.   

So that’s what I did and I remembered to reverse the cables for the one amplifier.  I powered up everything and the lights on the BAX started in red and then went to yellow and then turned green.   I put a CD into the player and listened to a few songs that I use to gage the quality of speakers and I have only one word.

WOW !!!!   

It is simply more of everything with much greater detail, imaging and presentation than I ever imagined. 

It is not just an incremental increase but a whole new ball game. 

The speakers now coax out detailed sounds in the music that I never heard before.  Bass, midrange and highs are all more pronounced and present.

Well done guys you deserve a resounding pat on the back.  I am officially addicted. 

I will put the speakers through their paces this weekend in more arduous testing.

Sincerely,
Dave

witchdoctor

« Reply #263 on: 13 Jul 2019, 10:56 am »
James, have you tried hooking up your active speakers to an SP4 yet? If so what configuration?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #264 on: 13 Jul 2019, 12:24 pm »
James, have you tried hooking up your active speakers to an SP4 yet? If so what configuration?

Yes at a show recently we setup the Active Crossover feature in the SP-4 to replicate a Bryston  BAX-1 Active crossover and it worked great!

james

witchdoctor

« Reply #265 on: 13 Jul 2019, 02:21 pm »
Yes at a show recently we setup the Active Crossover feature in the SP-4 to replicate a Bryston  BAX-1 Active crossover and it worked great!

james

It is a stunning combination, IDK if it is your taste but EDM (like Pet Shop Boys) with active speakers in an immersive setup just doesn't get any better. The entire room starts dancing, and it takes you right into a "club" type atmosphere. There is something that an active speakers does with bass that I can't describe. You can just push and push the volume and the bass is just tight and in your face. Yes action movies are great but I don't experience the type of nuance you get with bass heavy music. I know THX recommends crossing over all channels at 80 HZ but I found 40 HZ works best in my room. Where do you find the SP4 typically sets the crossover with Bryston Active speakers?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #266 on: 13 Jul 2019, 04:00 pm »
Hi

We tend to recommend the lowest frequency point possible on the Subs assuming the Mains are going down low enough to support the frequencies around the crossover point chosen.

THX recommends 80Hz because their systems tend to be built around smaller Mains.

james