AKSA 100 N+ Listening

AKSA

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #20 on: 6 Dec 2004, 01:04 am »
Folks,

I hear what Tyson says, and believe I know the reasons.

I am presently discussing this with Mike, will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the open mind, watch this space......

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #21 on: 6 Dec 2004, 04:58 am »
It's almost bedtime so I'll be brief. It may be that my long (about 25ft) speaker cables are causing the AKSA grief. I have talked with Paul (Occam) and am in communicaiton with Hugh and will be doing some rearrangement to allow the use of the supplied (and much shorter) Tara Labs cables.

This evening I brought the AKSA, preamp and CDP to the basement and connected them up to my old Vandy 2Ci's in my home theater. I believe these are electrically quite similar to the 3A sigs and the sound of the 2Ci's driven by the same setup as was used yesterday was vastly improved over what we heard yesterday.

More to come but at least now it has a fighting chance.

mie

BradJudy

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #22 on: 6 Dec 2004, 05:50 pm »
Interesting.  25ft is long, but not absurd.  Is your speaker cable a design with higher capacitance?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2004, 06:02 pm »
If you want to bring it by my place and hook it up to the RM40's, I'm game for that this weekend.  Only 12 ft speaker wire at my place....

Mad DOg

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2004, 06:26 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I didn't realize that vandersteens were so hard to drive.  

vandies are 1st order xover speakers and generally they present a more difficult load to drive.

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2004, 03:43 am »
Brad,

No, actually my cables are fairly low capacitance at about 13pF/ft. Hugh indicated the amp likes to see 500pF or less and with my current cables it's seeing 668pF, about 33% more than is suggested. I'm going to experiment some more while I have the amp and see if I can make it happy.

Tyson,

I am shipping the amp on to the next person on the tour this week, so bringing it by this weekend is out. I do appreciate the offer though.

Mike

AKSA

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #26 on: 12 Dec 2004, 09:57 pm »
Hi Mike,

Any joy with the AKSA?

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #27 on: 12 Dec 2004, 11:51 pm »
Hello Hugh,

I am remiss in my duty to report. :oops: I've been insanely busy the past week and haven't had much time to do a proper write up. The short version is that the amp sounded very good driving both my old Vandy 2Ci's in my home theater system and a pair of Monitor Audio 5i's that I keep in my shop. Both of these were with the Tara cables.

I also re-arranged the cables in my main system per an idea that Paul had and reduced the overall capacitance to about 212Pf for the entire run. Unfortunately the 100N+ was still not a good match. I don't know if this is an interaction between the amp and the Vandy 3A Sigs or is caused by the long but seemingly benign cable load. The RLC for the cable was R = .1 ohm (near as I can measure), L = .011mH, C = 212pF.  The original RLC was R = .1, L = .006mH, C = 660pF.

I wanted to set up my gear in between the speakers in the main system to allow the use of the Tara Labs cable but I have been working very long hours and just didn't have time to do this.

Last Sunday I did bring the CDP, preamp, interconnect and power cables downstairs and set it up using the Tara Labs speaker cables and both of the aforementioned speakers. Driving the 2Ci's with the AKSA proved an excellent match and they sounded perhaps as good as I've ever heard them. Very detailed and clean with outstanding imaging. The placement of instruments and voices were very distinct and there was a very nice depth to the sound stage. Bass was not quite as tight as with the Outlaw 750 that normally runs that system but was still very articulate and tuneful. The old Outlaw has been a good amp for home theater use but never very satisfactory for music listening. Not horrible but not anything special either. The AKSA really made this apparent as the system sounded exceptional in the configuration.

The excellent sound in the basement also removed the possibility of a mismatch between the preamp and 100N+. I used the same components in both systems except for the speakers and speaker cables.

Again, I thank you for the opportunity to audition your product in my home. I have shipped it off to the next recipient and look forward to reading of his experience.

Mike

I will also post this in the official tour thread.