AKSA 100 N+ Listening

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« on: 2 Dec 2004, 02:38 am »
The AKSA 100 N+ that is on tour was shipped to me today, I'm hoping it will arrive by Friday as it's only coming from Kansas.

If it arrives before the weekend I'd be happy to have any of the Denver crew over for a listen if you're interested. I only have a week with it, so this is somewhat short notice. If it doesn't arrive until next week, then the offer is still good with the date changed to the 11th.

I'll update this thread with a status once I know more. As of now the UPS tracking number I received isn't working, so I'm not certain as to the delivery date.

Post here or PM me so I can plan accordingly. Of course the offer is open to all the Denver area folks on AC. (as long as we don't have more than will fit in my living room :o)

Mike

BradJudy

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2004, 03:32 am »
Mike,

It would be nice to come down and see your place, but I'll have to see how all of the timing works out.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2004, 04:39 am »
I'm available Sat or Sun, just let me know and I'll be there, with a bottle of scotch, no less!

PeteG

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2004, 12:14 pm »
Mike,
 I'm interested, just let me know when.
It will be nice to hear your system.

Pete

Turk

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2004, 01:30 pm »
Mike,

I have been really curious about the ASKA amp.  But I have a meeting from 9 to 3 on Sat. and guests all day Sunday :(

And to boot, I will have to miss another sample of fine Scotch :(  :(  :(

I hope the DAM will post their findings.

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2004, 07:14 pm »
Well UPS shows delivery tomorrow, so barrring a UPS snafu, lets shoot for Noon on Saturday. Pete or Brad, shoot me a PM and I'll send you directions. Might be easier for you guys to carpool as I'm all the other way south from where you live.

I'll post here tomorrow once I receive the amp and verify UPS hasn't killed it.

Sorry you can't make it Jerry. Maybe you can swing by one night next week or perhaps tomorrow night after work if you're going to be in the DTC.

Mike

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2004, 03:12 am »
Looks like we have avoided another UPS tragedy and the amp has arrived in fine condition. I've alerted my wife and we're on for noon tomorrow. I received a PM from PeteG and it sounds like Tyson will be here. Pete said he's going to try and contact Brad.

Any other Denver AC folks are welcome, just let me know and PM me for directions.

mike

BradJudy

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2004, 04:34 am »
Mike,

Unfortunately I have been sick and won't be coming down.  Nothing too bad, but enough to keep me home for a couple of days.  I hope to make it down another time.

Brad

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2004, 04:59 am »
No problem Brad, hope you feel better soon.

mike

brad b

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2004, 01:38 pm »
would be an interesting listen, but having a get together tonight, and have been traveling way to much.  Christmas lights, tree, yada yada yada.  Have a great time, and happy holidays to all the DAM!
Brad B

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2004, 02:02 pm »
I understand Brad, just thought I'd make the offer. Looks like it will just be Pete, Tyson and I.

I suspect Tyson will bring his AVA EX550, if so hearing the differences should be interesting.

Mike

PeteG

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2004, 03:40 pm »
Hey Mike,
 Don't know how much time you guy's have? but I could lug over another
amp if you like, making it a little more interesting. I do have a show to go to
later on (ComdyWorks). Just shoot me a PM if you could.

Pete

mgalusha

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2004, 05:51 pm »
Go for it Pete, it looks like there will only be a few of us. I have my Stratos Exteme monos, the AKSA and a my pair of Transcendent SC150 tube amps. I'll shoot you a PM as well.

I figured we can play around to say 4:30 or 5:00, we should be able to get a good handle on the amps by then and that shouldn't overload my wife too bad, although she has the grandson and will be out most of the day. Gotta love good timing.

Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2004, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
Go for it Pete, it looks like there will only be a few of us. I have my Stratos Exteme monos, the AKSA and a my pair of Transcendent SC150 tube amps. I'll shoot you a PM as well.

I figured we can play around to say 4:30 or 5:00, we should be able to get a good handle on the amps by then and that shouldn't overload my wife too bad, although she has the grandson and will be out most of the day. Gotta love good timing.

Mike

Looking forward to your comments Mike.

George

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2004, 05:26 pm »
Well, since no one has posted on our listening session, I'll go ahead and start.  Unfortunately I have to say that the AKSA amp sounded very poor in Mike's system.  Highs were fairly harsh, midrange was opaque and grainy, upper bass was loose, and low bass was attenuated and artificial sounding.  When we hooked up the Odyssey Monoblocks that Mike owns, all of those problems disappeared and his system made very nice music.  Next up was the Sim Moon amp that Pete brought over, but it went in to shutdown mode due to a small amount of DC that comes off Mike's tubed preamp.  Next up was the AVA Omegastar 240, which sounded better than the AKSA in the mids and highs, but had the BIG problem that it just couldn't drive the bass on Mike's speakers.  Literally, there was NO bass.  It was like someone had switched his tower speakers for bookshelf speakers.  Last up were a pair of 100 watt tube monoblocks Mike had built.  It sounded better than both the AKSA and the AVA, but not as good as the Odyssey Monoblocks.  Mainly it didn't have the control of the Odysseys, and did not have any extra "tube magic" in the sound to make up for it's lack of control.

From all of this, I can say with relative certainty that Mike's speakers are extremely difficult to drive and that the AKSA and the AVA were not good matches with his system.

PeteG

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2004, 09:44 pm »
I would like to thank Mike for having me over, had a very good time.
Tyson basically summed it up, his thoughts are spot on with mine.
I would like to stress again how hard Mike’s speakers are to drive, you would be hard pressed
To bring in another amp that would match or better the Odyssey’s in his systems synergy.

My Simaudio W-5 shutoff do to DC offset from the tube preamp, but when I got home I reinserted it in my system using a Van Alstine T7 tube preamp and the amp ran fine, I'm a little confused with this one, since
Mike said there is very little DC coming out of his preamp.

JoshK

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2004, 12:28 am »
I didn't realize that vandersteens were so hard to drive.  That is too bad because you missed out on getting to hear a sweet amp.  I know it doesn't like high capacitance speaker cables either, so no cat5 speaker cables with the AKSA.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2004, 12:36 am »
I have heard the Vandy 3A sigs driven by lowered power tube amps and sound pretty good in a fairly large room (Mike has a pretty big room with two story ceiling).

According to the Vandy website:

IMPEDANCE
6 ohms nominal 4 ohms minimum.
EFFICIENCY
87dB with 2.83 volts of pink noise input at 1 meter on axis.
RECOMMENDED AMPLIFICATION
100 to 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms.
The amplifier must be stable into a 4 ohm load.

I thought the Aksa is 100 watts into 8 ohms and could handle a 4 ohm load?

George

JoshK

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2004, 12:43 am »
It can, it drove my RM40's no problems.

jonwb

AKSA 100 N+ Listening
« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2004, 12:57 am »
That is surprising to me too.  While noted to be pretty efficient speakers, I think I could've knocked my house down w/ the AKSA driving my Alpha LS's.  Its a shame you guys didn't get to hear the AKSA sound its best...  its a terrific amp.

Either way, I don't think the 100N+ can compete w/ the Statos Extreme Monos in terms of pure power output.