Info Please...I.E. Mono Extremes!

amandarae

« on: 28 Nov 2004, 11:35 pm »
I was on sabbatical in this forum until recently.  I have the regular monos (2 years, 360,000 uF caps, Copper faceplate) and very happy with the amps.

But I recently talked to Klaus and ordered the Extremes!  ( I fear for the day to talk to him again since everytime I do, I cannot resist buying one of his product :oops: )

I read all available info so far and posting by Extreme Mono owners (including those who sold theirs) in this forum and generally on the net.  Read the specs per Edwardo's (AVM) site, but I want some more.

What are the positive attributes between the regular monos and extremes? (I also read Don's, Musky_Don, post who owns both of the amps) Negatives not counting the size and power consumption if there's any?

What is the new PCB, new transformer as to performance wise?  I do not want specs, it is the music that counts. :D

Please do not hesitate to e-mail me directly if you wish.

My equipments are as follows:

1.)Magnepan 1.6 QR

2.)Teres 255 TT with OL Silver and Denon 103R loaded at 140 Ohms via K&K Lundahl L9206.

3.)Supratek Chenin Full function preamp with Tungsol roundplates VT-231, Telefunken CCa(phono), Sylvania Gold Brand 6C4(phono), Mullard Metal Base 5AR4 (rectifier),and Sylvania 6F6G's (regulators).

4.)Acoustic Zen speaker cables and DIY copper interconnects using Cardas Rhodium

5.)CD player is highly modified (clock, diodes, Jensen and blackgate caps, and Cardas wires) Jolida JD100A

6.)Amps:  Odyssey monos, Dynaco ST-70, Eico HF-30, Threshold Stasis S500

7.) Power cords are virtual Dynamics P2 and P3's.

Room is 25 x 28 feet, fully dedicated.

Thanks, and I am glad to be back!

amandarae

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2004, 04:56 am »
Forgot the tuner:  It is a Fisher 100B.

Thanks!

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2004, 03:15 pm »
Here is all the info you need:
DO IT!
 :D
No I don't have the mono's but for what he charges I would do it.

F-100

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2004, 04:56 pm »
Quote from: amandarae
But I recently talked to Klaus and ordered the Extremes! ( I fear for the day to talk to him again since everytime I do, I cannot resist buying one of his product  )

Amandarae,
  Congratulation!! I know what you mean. I think Klaus got a spell on me too. :) My Extreme mono blocks and Extreme Tempest are due to arrive  this week (I hope). You're welcomed to come by and check them out.

- Denon DVD-2900, Odyssey Tempest Extremes, Odyssey Extremes Mono, Groneberg TS Prenium IC and speaker wire, Onix Reference 1 speaker.

Room is 12' x 12' , fully dedicated and  acoustic treated :)

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2004, 05:45 pm »
Amandarae,
Welcome back to the Odyssey family.  Klaus  "definitely" glad to hear from you again.  You got lots of amps, I envy you.  Godspeed.

amandarae

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2004, 08:55 pm »
Quote from: F-100
Amandarae,
  Congratulation!! I know what you mean. I think Klaus got a spell on me too. :) My Extreme mono blocks and Extreme Tempest are due to arrive  this week (I hope). You're welcomed to come by and check them out.

- Denon DVD-2900, Odyssey Tempest Extremes, Odyssey Extremes Mono, Groneberg TS Prenium IC and speaker wire, Onix Reference 1 speaker.

Room is 12' x 12' , fully dedicated and  acoustic treated :)

F-100,

Whereabouts in SoCal are you?  I am in Diamond Bar (91765) and hope to hear the Extremes in your system once they arrived and settled of course.

With this kind of offer, I will find time during the holiday season to drop you a visit.  Of course, if it is fine with you that is.

thanks

amandarae

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2004, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: Doc Jr 8156
Amandarae,
Welcome back to the Odyssey family.  Klaus  "definitely" glad to hear from you again.  You got lots of amps, I envy you.  Godspeed.

DocckkkieeeJayyyyrrrr,

Yes, I do have "lot's of amps" as you put it!  In fact I also have your Odyssey Stereo (with caps upgrade) here with me remember? :D

I will return it soon 'bro! 8)

F-100

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2004, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: amandarae
F-100,

Whereabouts in SoCal are you?  I am in Diamond Bar (91765) and hope to hear the Extremes in your system once they arrived and settled of course.

With this kind of offer, I will find time during the holiday season to drop you a visit.  Of course, if it is fine with you that is.

thanks

Amandarae,
  I'm out in the high desert  area (Lancaster) and you're welcomed to come by if you don't mind commuting :). PM or email me when you have some free time.
According to Klaus, all my equipments are due to ship out this week.  :bounce:

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2004, 09:52 pm »
good for you f100 :mrgreen: its that time of year for the santa klaus to arrive :xmas:
i already pm'd him my opinion about the ex and standard monos :beer:
might be the best upgrade for the money around(not that the standard ones are not great)but you do find another level with the ex monos.

audiojerry

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2004, 09:57 pm »
amandarae,
if you haven't been around, where did you go?  :D

Without getting into specifics, rest assured that your upgrade to the mono xtreme's is a good decision. The improvements are easily heard and worthwhile.

amandarae

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2004, 12:51 am »
F-100,
Will do!  I have a relative in Lancaster.  Maybe it is time to visit him!

rosconey,

Thanks for the PM!  I will call Klaus to chose the face plate color asap!

amandarae,
if you haven't been around, where did you go?  

Without getting into specifics, rest assured that your upgrade to the mono xtreme's is a good decision. The improvements are easily heard and worthwhile.

audiojerry,

Thanks for the assurance!

I went to the single driver/SET road and vintage low power amps and speakers road for a while!  Change of scenery, change of perception.  Journey was great, and kept some of the equipment I bought along the way. Definitely my 300B SET amp and MLTL speakers are here to stay, so as my 21 year old Bozaks.

But now, it is time to buy a "keeper" SS amp that will drive my 1.6 to oblivion!  Frankly, I do not listen that loud but it is a good feeling that when it is called for, the amp can deliver!  I just move to my new place recently and my room is now quite big.  I was fortunate because I thought when we bought the place, my listening room will be the family room.  That is why I experimented with smaller amps and low wattage speakers.  

cheers!