BDA-1 USB Port

Marius

Re: BDA-1 USB Port
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2017, 11:52 am »
Hi Pete,

You might be interested in Hans Beekhuyzen's channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wxRGiBoJg

Maybe off topic here, but you started the move to MQA ...

Hans also has a video on need for 192Khz which could be of interest contemplating.

Cheers,
Marius

^ Interesting article. Given the recent debunking of MQA's alleged "lossless" quality, it may be prudent to be cautious. Also, some "hi-res" files may be 44/16 (or worse) that has been manipulated ("upsampled").

Others of potential interest: (YMMV as usual)

https://warmleftovers.com/2012/08/05/no-flac-does-not-sound-better-and-you-are-not-an-audiophile-because-you-use-it-heres-what-it-actually-is-and-why-its-important/

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

On my system (BDP-1/BDA-1), it's hard for me to reliably distinguish 44/16 CD rips from some MP3 320.

I agree, the BDA-1's USB does files up to 48/16 quite well.

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm »
Hi Pete,

You might be interested in Hans Beekhuyzen's channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wxRGiBoJg

Hans also has a video on need for 192Khz which could be of interest contemplating.

Cheers,
Marius

Thank you, Marius. Good tutorial there.

I think there are enough audio formats flying around. Life's complicated enough. Flac/Wav for me.
A good day for me if if I can open an attachment.  :lol:

cheers
Pete

Excerpt from a memo by Benchmark re. 192/24:

Created: 21 October 2010

To S. Andrea Sunduram,

All of Benchmark’s A/D converters and D/A converters support sample rates up to 192kHz. However, we strongly recommend 96kHz for optimum performance. There is a performance penalty for operating at 192kHz. The problem is that all A/D and D/A converter chips operate at reduced oversampling ratios when converting at 192kHz. At the current time, the negative consequences of the reduced oversampling ratio far outweigh any benefits derived from the higher sample rates.

At 192kHz the stopband attenuation of the digital filters is usually much poorer than at 96kHz. Many converter ICs have 120dB of stopband attenuation at 96kHz, but only 80dB at 192kHz. This makes 192kHz converters very susceptible to aliasing and poor image rejection. These artifacts clutter the audible spectrum with low-level non-musical distortion.

It can be shown and demonstrated that there is no loss of time-domain accuracy when operating at 96kHz versus 192kHz. It is a myth that 192kHz gives better time-domain accuracy.

To date, Benchmark has no evidence that 192kHz performs better than 96kHz, but we have a substantial body of evidence that shows that 192kHz has defects that are not present at 96kHz. These issues are also shared openly by one of our competitors: Lavry Engineering. We suspect many other manufacturers are aware of these issues, but choose not to talk about them.

Bottom line: Be very careful about any claims that 192kHz sounds better than 96kHz. Our experience points in the opposite direction.

John Siau
V.P., Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Marius

« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2017, 02:57 pm »
Hi Pete,

Should we take this out of this topic?
I will post this to Hans, I've read it before, and must admit, since I've started downloading the 24/96 files instead of the 24/192 files of one of my favorite suppliers/lables I've enjoyed these recordings better  :scratch:
Discussed about the with the lable  manager and they insist in 192 being the better files. Well anyways, lets see what Hans has got to say.

Or  the Bryston team here for that matter. James/Chris, please chime in, and if it pleases the board better, move it to another topic.
Cheers,
Marius

Thank you, Marius. Good tutorial there.

I think there are enough audio formats flying around. Life's complicated enough. Flac/Wav for me.
A good day for me if if I can open an attachment.  :lol:

cheers
Pete

Excerpt from a memo by Benchmark re. 192/24:

Created: 21 October 2010

To S. Andrea Sunduram,

All of Benchmark’s A/D converters and D/A converters support sample rates up to 192kHz. However, we strongly recommend 96kHz for optimum performance. There is a performance penalty for operating at 192kHz. The problem is that all A/D and D/A converter chips operate at reduced oversampling ratios when converting at 192kHz. At the current time, the negative consequences of the reduced oversampling ratio far outweigh any benefits derived from the higher sample rates.

At 192kHz the stopband attenuation of the digital filters is usually much poorer than at 96kHz. Many converter ICs have 120dB of stopband attenuation at 96kHz, but only 80dB at 192kHz. This makes 192kHz converters very susceptible to aliasing and poor image rejection. These artifacts clutter the audible spectrum with low-level non-musical distortion.

It can be shown and demonstrated that there is no loss of time-domain accuracy when operating at 96kHz versus 192kHz. It is a myth that 192kHz gives better time-domain accuracy.

To date, Benchmark has no evidence that 192kHz performs better than 96kHz, but we have a substantial body of evidence that shows that 192kHz has defects that are not present at 96kHz. These issues are also shared openly by one of our competitors: Lavry Engineering. We suspect many other manufacturers are aware of these issues, but choose not to talk about them.

Bottom line: Be very careful about any claims that 192kHz sounds better than 96kHz. Our experience points in the opposite direction.

John Siau
V.P., Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:09 pm »
^ Marius, I will take a more middle, diplomatic ground: Much depends on the quality of studio mastering -- sometimes 192 may sound quite good. My experiences with about < 20 albums at 192, tell me otherwise. For example, Abbado/BPO Beethoven's 9th, at 192 sounded horrid to me -- compared to my CD of the same recording. Don't know why exactly, but I rarely get poor quality with 96/24 or 88/24 masters. The bit depth means more to me than the sampling rate -- 24 bits even at 44 or 48, sound darn good vs. 44/16 or 192/24.

By all means, show it to Hans.

Let's not hijack this thread any longer....

cheers,