BDP-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #200 on: 3 May 2017, 01:19 pm »
Hi James,

I read on the BDP2 3D that you were thinking about adding DSD native as an alternative on DOP. Will this be implemented on BDP3 as well?

Have a nice day

Hi Grant

The BDP-3 gives us a lot more computing power so I know Chris is working on a new software package that will allow for Native DSD.

That said DOP is a true DSD file it just uses PCM as the carrier for the file. Either way you get the same performance.

james

Xinon

« Reply #201 on: 3 May 2017, 02:47 pm »
I was more than happy with the Bdp1- Bda1 combo, played beautiful music to my ears.
Today everybody seems more focused to get the highest decoding possible, DSD512 ,384Ghz, MQA etc, the more bells and whistles the better.
Isn't the mastering more important than the format, and if the mastering is good maybe 24/96 is high enough?

Grant Hill

« Reply #202 on: 3 May 2017, 02:52 pm »
Thank you James!

Yes I know that native DSD and DOP are the same, but I'm glad to hear that there will be a new software packing for BDP3 with further upgrades

Grant Hill

« Reply #203 on: 3 May 2017, 03:00 pm »
I was more than happy with the Bdp1- Bda1 combo, played beautiful music to my ears.
Today everybody seems more focused to get the highest decoding possible, DSD512 ,384Ghz, MQA etc, the more bells and whistles the better.
Isn't the mastering more important than the format, and if the mastering is good maybe 24/96 is high enough?

Hello, I agree with you.

as the mastering is the most important thing, it is good to be able to play well pcm and dsd formats because great masters sometimes can be found only in the pcm version or in the dsd one...

I don't care about dsd512, dxd because there aren't interesting titles in those formats... anyway it's nice to know that your dac/digital player is able to play them as good as ordinary 14/44 pcm files

Grant Hill

« Reply #204 on: 3 May 2017, 03:05 pm »
btw, did you knwo that were just released new ECM remastering in DSD format (both SACD and DSF downloadable fiels) of some classic works by K. Jarret, C. Corean and Pat Metheny?

it seems that it is a new remaster made form original analogue masters using a DSD Platform... sacd layer and Dsf file contain the new master, while cd layer and 24/96 flac file are from the old master (so same stuff you can find in hdtracks 2013 issues). you got the new mastering only with sacd/dsd.

that's why is important to have Dac and digital player which are able to perform well both pcm and dsd  8)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #205 on: 4 May 2017, 03:18 am »
Thank you James!

Yes I know that native DSD and DOP are the same, but I'm glad to hear that there will be a new software packing for BDP3 with further upgrades

To clarify native DSD isn't coming until the release of the next major firmware release nutty narwhal, which will bring native DSD to both the BDP-2 & 3.  When the BDP-3 ships in the coming weeks it'll be shipping with the same DoP support as the BDP-2. 

Grant Hill

« Reply #206 on: 4 May 2017, 12:21 pm »
Thanks Chris, this makes sense. Any news about Roon core?

Davesworld

« Reply #207 on: 7 May 2017, 06:41 am »
Someone asked why usb3 was included. It seems obvious to me that it would have been difficult to use a modern motherboard with modern chipsets and processors and not have usb3.

I'm more interested in what Bryston came up with to replace the ESI board.

Rocket

« Reply #208 on: 7 May 2017, 08:45 am »
Hi,

Isn't the mastering more important than the format, and if the mastering is good maybe 24/96 is high enough?/quote]

I totally agree with this statement as the hardest thing to find is a good quality recording.  My system comes alive when I play music mastered and recorded by companies such as Chesky records.

Cheers Rod

witchdoctor

« Reply #209 on: 8 May 2017, 01:42 am »
Hi,

Isn't the mastering more important than the format, and if the mastering is good maybe 24/96 is high enough?/quote]

I totally agree with this statement as the hardest thing to find is a good quality recording.  My system comes alive when I play music mastered and recorded by companies such as Chesky records.

Cheers Rod

Have you tried www.concertvault.com? It isn't even redbook but the recordings are fantastic and not available anywhere else. Most of these performances were recorded right through the mixing board at the live performance and WOW!

http://www.concertvault.com/duke-ellington-and-his-orchestra/newport-jazz-festival-july-05-1968.html

http://www.concertvault.com/al-di-meola-john-mclaughlin-paco-de-lucia/video/bill-graham-introduction_1008080.html

Xinon

« Reply #210 on: 12 May 2017, 01:28 pm »
Have you tried www.concertvault.com? It isn't even redbook but the recordings are fantastic and not available anywhere else. Most of these performances were recorded right through the mixing board at the live performance and WOW!

http://www.concertvault.com/duke-ellington-and-his-orchestra/newport-jazz-festival-july-05-1968.html

http://www.concertvault.com/al-di-meola-john-mclaughlin-paco-de-lucia/video/bill-graham-introduction_1008080.html

Just listened to Jimi Hendrix-Red House Live https://www.wolfgangs.com/jimi-hendrix-experience/music/audio/1180-9960.html?tid=23880
and compared to same song from Freedom (Live) Album in Spotify.
The Spotify version sounded much better, so saved my money this time.
I know its not the same recording, but Im not paying unless it sounds better.

Listened to some other songs, and the one you linked to(Al Di M.........), and they seemed a little loud and noisy, turn up the volume and the sound collapses.

Hoiman

« Reply #211 on: 12 May 2017, 02:31 pm »
I'm wondering how the test are/went of the first 10 players?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #212 on: 12 May 2017, 03:05 pm »
Hi

OK so far - have 2 units at home - one in my office - and one going to the Munich audio show.

james

Xinon

« Reply #213 on: 1 Jun 2017, 03:51 pm »
I just ordered one  :thumb:
Any news on when they start shipping and you catch up on the backorders?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #214 on: 1 Jun 2017, 03:58 pm »
I just ordered one  :thumb:
Any news on when they start shipping and you catch up on the backorders?

Hi Xinon

Great  :thumb:

We shipped 39 this week and hope to get another 25 out over the next few weeks.  What dealer did you order from?

james

Hoiman

« Reply #215 on: 1 Jun 2017, 04:18 pm »
We shipped 39 this week

Also to The Netherlands (to Mafico) ?

Xinon

« Reply #216 on: 1 Jun 2017, 08:08 pm »
Hi Xinon

Great  :thumb:

We shipped 39 this week and hope to get another 25 out over the next few weeks.  What dealer did you order from?

james

Wow they are flying off the shelves  :thumb:
Ordered from Lyric Hifi Norway.
I miss Tor, but seems like the new owners also are very service minded.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2017, 05:22 pm by Xinon »

bjski

« Reply #217 on: 3 Jun 2017, 01:23 pm »
I just ordered BDP-3 to replace my BDP-2 in my 2 channel setup. The BDP-2 will replace my BDP-1 in my home theater. The BDP-1 sounds great just very slow in loading my library, 25,000 songs.

I really wanted the cube amps but I think this makes more sense!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #218 on: 3 Jun 2017, 01:37 pm »
I just ordered BDP-3 to replace my BDP-2 in my 2 channel setup. The BDP-2 will replace my BDP-1 in my home theater. The BDP-1 sounds great just very slow in loading my library, 25,000 songs.

I really wanted the cube amps but I think this makes more sense!

OK - great - please let me know what you think.

james

bjski

« Reply #219 on: 3 Jun 2017, 02:39 pm »
Will do James. You surprised me with the BDP-2 sound card along with the BDA-3! Excellent upgrades!