7.1 speaker set up

MaxCast

7.1 speaker set up
« on: 24 Nov 2004, 10:31 pm »
Please direct me to the "official" speaker placement guide.
Also, which back speakers play the surround from sacd/dvda?  side surround?
Rear surruond for dPLIIx and ex, es??

Thanks

bubba966

7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2004, 10:46 pm »

That's a diagram for EX/ES speaker placement.

The speaks marked SL/SR are going to be your rears for SACD/DVD-A.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: 7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2004, 05:15 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Please direct me to the "official" speaker placement guide.
Also, which back speakers play the surround from sacd/dvda?  side surround?
Rear surruond for dPLIIx and ex, es??

Thanks

The decision on which surround speakers play in the DVD-A and SACD arena is usually up to you.  On my system, which has been 7.1 since 1987 or so (early Lexicon loyalist) I combine side and rear with a simple switcher when playing hirez 5.1 sources like DVD-A and SACD and then, of course, make sure the calibration is correct since the dual output is louder than it should be.   I have a Lexicon MC-1 that handles 7.1 digital surround (DTS, Dolby Dig) but my analog hi-rez stuff goes to a Sony TA-P9000ES analog 5.1 preamp (which has a 5.1 bypass from my LEx and a 2 channel bypass from my tube preamp).   It's out of there that I do my combining, so that the Lexicon output is untouched, as is any dedicated stereo listening, etc.  

On most newer receivers and pre/pros that accept analog 5.1 inputs the decision is made in the setup; i.e you tell the box which surrounds get the signal.  That would  remove the switcher from my config.

I've had my 7.1 set up a bit differently than the diagram.  My sides are ever so slightly ahead of my ears on the direct left and right, and my rear surrounds are on the back sloped wall (coffered ceiling) over my left and right shoulder, about  120 degrees.  In the Lexicon Logic7.1 world, those rear surrounds are stereo in most applications, so I make sure they are not simply stuck too far behind me.  
Ted_B

MaxCast

7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2004, 02:33 am »
Thanks guys. my SR is going to be the tricky one :|

Marbles

7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2004, 02:42 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Thanks guys. my SR is going to be the tricky one :|

Tell me about it!!!  :cry:

MaxCast

7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2004, 03:47 am »
That's about how close it woud be.  I have a bar to my right.  I might be setting a sm6.9 right on the bar :(

bubba966

7.1 speaker set up
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2004, 05:57 am »
That's about how my SR speaker is positioned as well... :roll:  :lol: