Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

JackD

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #280 on: 2 Jan 2021, 03:04 am »
I haven't found a manufacturer yet in all my years in this hobby that included rectifier tubes that would hold a candle to the higher quality NOS ones from the 50's and 60's and Gary is no exception.  He does however offer that as an option at the time of purchase and then you don't have to buy them on your own off of Ebay. Like many people alvinnir decided to source his own rather than buying the upgraded rectifier from Musical Paradise.  I had a box full of them so I took the standard issue one too.

alvinnir

« Reply #281 on: 4 Jan 2021, 02:48 am »
I think the assumption that a producer of audio gear would supply the best possible tubes is not realistic. They need tubes that are both reliable and can be acquired in large quantities. Most audiophiles who own tube gear eventually find the sound can be improved and modified to their taste with aftermarket tubes. I've done this with virtually every piece of tube gear I've owned. In fact the only gear I ever bought that didn't come stock with current production tubes were my Quicksilver Monoblock power amps. That's because they are a small production company and they bought up a large quantity of 1970s vintage Tesla tubes for their gear.

If you will excuse the analogy, buying tube gear is a bit like buying a bicycle. The seat it comes with usually is usually very basic and not that comfortable. So you buy a new seat to suit your butt so you can have more comfort performance. Same with tubes  :lol:

MttBsh

« Reply #282 on: 4 Jan 2021, 05:18 pm »
I think the assumption that a producer of audio gear would supply the best possible tubes is not realistic.

I hear you. I wasn't suggesting that the manufacturer ought to include the best (i.e. expensive) tubes possible. I was referring to your having found some relatively cheap rectifier tubes on Ebay that didn't hold back the DAC's performance like the stock tubes do. It seems like the manufacturer, as part of his R&D would check into these kinds of options, maybe not to everyone's taste but certainly better than the tubes he chose as stock. Admittedly, as you said, it also comes down to quantities of tubes available, and the mass produced are never the best.

alvinnir

« Reply #283 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:15 pm »
Having for the most part sorted out some tube choices I just took the plunge and ordered new Capacitors. Garry feels the new V-Cap Odam is the best option these days so I ordered the 3.3 values. Should arrive in the not too distant future assuming a quick clear through Canada Customs. I have seen posts on the Mundorfs and others but not these V-Caps so far. Hope they are a worthwhile improvement for the $$$ spent.

rodge827

• Phil 2:9-11
« Reply #284 on: 14 Feb 2021, 02:41 pm »
Anyone looking for a very good rectifier tube for your D2 Dac?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=174970.msg1845650#new