Do I need poly fill if I used No Rez

trito

Do I need poly fill if I used No Rez
« on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:08 pm »
Hi,

I recently upgraded my factory built AV123 X-LS Encores with Sonicaps and No Rez.  The Encores came with tons of poly fill which I removed to install the No Rez.  Since No Rez effectively has no effect on the internal volume, do I need to add poly fill back in?  If so how much do I need?

Thanks in advance!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Do I need poly fill if I used No Rez
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:40 pm »
Yes. I use about 1 ounce well fluffed out behind the woofer. Though I use AcustaStuff instead of polyfill.

The stuff in your picture looks different than the polyfill available around here which is white.

Mike

trito

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:51 pm »
Thanks Mike!  The material is from the stock speaker.  My X-LS Encores are factory built from AV123.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:52 pm »
I don't think it's necessary, not really. Every time I try polyfill I get bad results. And no-rez gives good results.

trito

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:40 pm »
An interesting side note, the factory cabinets have 2 horizontal braces.  I looked at the design from GR Research and it only has 1 horizontal brace.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2017, 09:43 pm »
Yes but the GR design has small corner braces that do about the same thing.

trito

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:59 pm »
The factory has corner braces too.  I wonder how much affect the extra brace has on the internal volume compared to the GR Research design.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:22 am »
Probably nothing noticeable

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:37 am »
Hi,

I recently upgraded my factory built AV123 X-LS Encores with Sonicaps and No Rez.  The Encores came with tons of poly fill which I removed to install the No Rez.  Since No Rez effectively has no effect on the internal volume, do I need to add poly fill back in?  If so how much do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Try the acousta-stuff from PE or  Amazon,  use about  1.5 oz   flufed up  . Over the  enitre rear wall and be sure not to block the port in any way.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:05 pm »
From my personal experience I like fiberglass insulation. It really does a better job of absorption with less material and I like the sound a little better.

And yes I would add just a little bit of something right behind the woofer. 

bdp24

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:21 pm »
Since no one said it, I will! NoRez and the polyfil, fiberglass, or Acoustistuff address different issues. NoRez is an enclosure panel resonance/vibration damper, the others are acoustic absorbers for the enclosures interior volume. The employment of one does not preclude that of the other---they serve different purposes.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2017, 03:50 pm »
Since no one said it, I will! NoRez and the polyfil, fiberglass, or Acoustistuff address different issues. NoRez is an enclosure panel resonance/vibration damper, the others are acoustic absorbers for the enclosures interior volume. The employment of one does not preclude that of the other---they serve different purposes.

Yes, the primary functions are different. However, No Rez does have a 1" foam layer. So it does perform absorption duties as well.

SteveRB

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2017, 04:56 pm »
How does NoRez preform in larger, older style enclosures like the 60's-70's Altec speakers (Valencia, Santiago, VoT)? Those enclosures usually have pink fibreglass adhered to 3-5 sides of the box and zero fill.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2017, 05:16 pm »
How does NoRez preform in larger, older style enclosures like the 60's-70's Altec speakers (Valencia, Santiago, VoT)? Those enclosures usually have pink fibreglass adhered to 3-5 sides of the box and zero fill.

The larger the un-braced panel area, and the thinner the box panels, the greater the effect of the No Rez.

SteveRB

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2017, 05:18 pm »
The larger the un-braced panel area, and the thinner the box panels, the greater the effect of the No Rez.

Thanks for the fast reply. What benefits would I expect in sound quality? Should I plan on lining all sides, corner to corner? Would I need to add the fibre glass lining back over top of the NoRez?

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply. What benefits would I expect in sound quality? Should I plan on lining all sides, corner to corner? Would I need to add the fibre glass lining back over top of the NoRez?

When the cabinet wall resonances are reduced it allows you to hear the bass as it was intended without added box coloration. So the bass is much cleaner and tighter. Lower vocal ranges are much cleaner as well.

Typically we line the cabinets with it wall to wall for maximum effectiveness, but just covering the middle of each panel can be very effective.

Fiberglass or poly fill is then added for additional absorption and tuning of the box. 

SteveRB

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:04 pm »
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

trito

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:54 pm »
When the cabinet wall resonances are reduced it allows you to hear the bass as it was intended without added box coloration. So the bass is much cleaner and tighter. Lower vocal ranges are much cleaner as well.
Yep that's exactly what I heard when I added No Rez to my Martin Logan Electromotions.  It has a decent size cabinet without any braces, the No Rez cleaned up the bass quite a bit.

Before

After

SteveRB

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:58 pm »
I'm interested, but cost of doing a large enclosure may be prohibitive. A Valencia would require 10 sheets: shipped to Canada. That would be over $500.

bdp24

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2017, 09:15 pm »
Martin Logan builds a woofer cabinet without a single brace?! Very surprising, as they are good speakers. I know what I would do---stick in at least one dowel (dowels don't take up much internal volume) connecting the two largest panels, to stiffen the enclosure and eliminate the resonances they are most certainly creating. That plus the NoRez would provide maximum improvement to an already good loudspeaker. The ESL's themselves are hard to improve upon!