Sat Dec 4th Listening session

Mad DOg

« on: 24 Nov 2004, 07:29 am »
Ok, guys...I just spoke with Jeff and he would like to host this session on Dec. 4th.

Gear that will be present...

Main Event:
Dodson 218 DAC
Dodson 263 DAC
EA modded P-3/A DAC
MW level 2 P-3/A DAC

Ralph Dodson has shared that he would like to attend and may be able to make this date!!!  8)

Also available:
Herron Monoblocks
and the rest of Jeff's system consisting of mainly Audio Research gear...

Please weigh in if you're able to and plan on attending...

CONFIRMED ATTENDEES:

Mad Dog
Jon L
Russtafarian
rlcordiero
shauk786

Thanks.

Jon L

« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2004, 06:00 pm »
Maybe Jeff can list the gears/cables in his system in case we can bring something useful?

I'll be there, so don't forget to PM us the address to be mapquested.  

About 8-9 years ago, I had an opportunity to in-home audition Mr. Dodson's very first DAC.  Boy, his company has come a long way since, hasn't it?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2004, 07:06 am »
I'll try and make it.

shokunin

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2004, 04:49 pm »
I probably won't be able to make the 4th, I'll definitely try though.  Too many christmas dinners going on...  

I definitely want to hear how those three DACs compete.  Should be fun.

Mad DOg

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2004, 09:26 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
I probably won't be able to make the 4th, I'll definitely try though.  Too many christmas dinners going on...  

I definitely want to hear how those three DACs compete.  Should be fun.

sorry, shokunin...i really wanted to do it this weekend, too, but no EA DAC... :(

Mad DOg

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Maybe Jeff can list the gears/cables in his system in case we can bring something useful?

We're probably not going to have much time to compare much else since we've got 3 DACs to go thru and the Herron M-150 amps to audition as well.

Jeff's system

LOUDSPEAKERS
Aerial 7Bs in Bird's Eye Maple, coupled to the floor using OEM (optional) Sound Anchor stands.

ELECTRONICS
Audio Research SP-15 preamplifier--modified by Richard Kern of Audiomod, an Audio Research VT-100MKIII amplifier with twin Genalex NOS KT88 matched quads or the equivalent Audio Research matched quads of Svetlanas 6550Cs, and M-150 monoblocks by Keith Heron.

SOURCES
VPI Aries w/JMW 10.5 arm-Benz Micro Ruby 2 H cartridge, a PS Audio Lambda II Special transport--modified by Richard Kern of Audiomod,  and a Dodson 218 DAC.

CABLES
Cardas Golden Reference interconnects both XLR & RCA, Cardas Golden Reference bi-wire speaker cables,  Acoustic Zen MC-2 Silver and Audio Magic Clairvoyant S/PDIF digital cables, and PS Audio xStream Statement power cords.

ACCESSORIES
Bybee Magic Bullets, a PS Audio P-500 power regenerator for source gear and preamplifier, Wally Tools, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet 20 amp high-current version for the amplifiers, a VPI SDS power regenerator for the Aries table, two Townshend Seismic Sink stands, a Townshend Seismic Sink for the Aries, a Bedini Dual Beam Ultra Clarifier, Shun Mook Diamond Acoustic resonators under preamplifier, a VPI 17F vacuum record cleaning machine, 9 Bright Star Big Rocks under all gear except for VPI Aries, Bright Star Little Rock 3s atop PS Audio Lambda II Special and Dodson 218, 9 Bright Star Little Rock 2s on top of all gear except for VPI Aries and Audio Research VT-100MKIII, 3 Lovan Sovereign sand filled amplifier stands, 9 RPG Skyline diffusers (back wall), 32 RPG Melfoam diffusing/absorbing panels (front and side walls), 4 Echo Buster Corner Busters, a set of 3 Argent Room Lens diffusers/tuners, 3 Sound Connections 15 amp duplex outlets, and one 15 amp dedicated line.[/b]

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:29 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Is your EA P3A here yet, Mad Dog?

Mad DOg

Need headcount...
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:33 pm »
Guys,

Except for Jon L, please confirm ASAP in this thread whether you are planning on attending this Sat. Thanks.

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2004, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Thanks for the info.  Is your EA P3A here yet, Mad Dog?

i'm expecting delivery today...

Mad DOg

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2004, 09:47 pm »
Jon L,

since it appears the focus will be on source components, why don't you bring your laptop to compare if it arrives in time...

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2004, 10:05 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Jon L,

since it appears the focus will be on source components, why don't you bring your laptop to compare if it arrives in time...

The USB box shipped today, so yes I plan to bring my laptop with Empirical Audio USB box to the festivities.  Should be interesting..

Russtafarian

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:24 am »
I'd like to come.

At the risk of sounding silly compared to the rest of the gear on hand, can I bring my transformer output Pioneer 563A player?  

Last Saturday I compared it to my buddy's recently Modwright'ed SCD9000ES and while the modded Sony was better, the Pioneer came really close.  I only ask for a few minutes to fire it up, listen to a few tunes and get some perspective as to how close I'm getting to the "big boys".

Russ "Manley-Man" tafarian

Mad DOg

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:34 am »
Quote from: Russtafarian
I'd like to come.

is this a "for sure" or a "maybe"? want a good idea of how many folks are gonna show to let Jeff and Ralph know...no sense in having Ralph schlepp up if there's only gonna be a few guys.

since Ralph has already met Jeff and me, he's not interested in seeing us again. :wink:  :lol:

Mad DOg

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2004, 01:36 am »
At the risk of sounding silly compared to the rest of the gear on hand, can I bring my transformer output Pioneer 563A player?  

Last Saturday I compared it to my buddy's recently Modwright'ed SCD9000ES and while the modded Sony was better, the Pioneer came really close.  I only ask for a few minutes to fire it up, listen to a few tunes and get some perspective as to how close I'm getting to the "big boys".

since it seems like this session is pretty much dedicated to sources, sure, i don't see why not.

regarding the comparison btwn your Pioneer and ur buddy's modded SCD9000ES....what preamp was used for the comparison?

Russtafarian

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:00 am »
Yes, I'll be there.  Do we know what time we're going to get started?

The pioneer-sony comparison was done on Tom Newell's system.  Source  > PS Audio preamp > PS Audio power amp > Gallo Nucleus Reference/REL sub.  Tom can chime in if I've missed anything.

Russ

Mad DOg

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:05 am »
Yes, I'll be there.  Do we know what time we're going to get started?

Jeff had mentioned ~1pm...i'll have to ck w/ him again to be sure. since he's a verizon customer, he's having trouble logging on/registering on AC which is why i'm playing middle man...

Mad DOg

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2004, 02:07 am »
...The pioneer-sony comparison was done on Tom Newell's system.  Source  > PS Audio preamp > PS Audio power amp > Gallo Nucleus Reference/REL sub.  Tom can chime in if I've missed anything.

Russ

the reason why i asked is cuz when i was having a very tough time hearing differences btwn DACs, i suspected it might be due to my preamp and that turned out to be the case.

rlcordeiro

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2004, 04:45 am »
Guys count me in. Let me know the address and time

Mad DOg

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2004, 06:30 am »
i'll be PM'ing all confirmed attendees the address on Thurs...

shauk786

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2004, 07:52 am »
Count me in also.

Shaukat.