Legacy Signature III Speakers - comparables.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Legacy Signature III Speakers - comparables.
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2020, 03:45 pm »
I have Signature IIIs in my living room for occasional listening and they sound great with moderately high end gear there.  I have Focus originals in my custom listening room with high end gear.   For the price, I doubt it can be beat for musicality and moderately good sound.  I've auditioned dozens of $10K to $100K speakers and intend to replace them with higher resolution, superior listening width speakers (Von Schwiekert VR9SE MkIIs or VR55s) in the near future.  I would not replace my Focus with Magicos or Wilsons if they were gifted to me.  Those two brands do not engage my listening interest (smaller Wilsons are good though).  My room and equipment deserve better speakers but I am still greatly enjoying my Focus speakers until then.  I'll move them to the Family Room for theater use then.  Why sell such an easy to listen to, easy to drive, inexpensive speaker.

What amplifiers do you use?

After owning Focus HDs, factory hot rodded Classics, and Signature IIIs, I would not describe any of them as easy to drive. IME an amp with increasing power down to 2 ohms will reward with better sound and more bass.

dflee

« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2020, 03:56 pm »
"
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2020, 01:36 am by dflee »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2020, 05:00 pm »
"After owning Focus HDs, factory hot rodded Classics, and Signature IIIs, I would not describe any of them as easy to drive. IME an amp with increasing power down to 2 ohms will reward with better sound and more bass."
Pretty much true with any speaker within the same class of amp.

Don

Well that's one opinion, that I don't share. Plenty of speakers that stay above 4 ohms and don't require the same type of amp. It's obvious you have no experience with them. There are other speakers that benefit, but the majority do not.  Stereophile tests a lot of speakers that do not include a comment about a good 4 ohm rated amplifier recommended.
I have owned amplifiers that were great with many speakers, but when paired with Legacy speakers fell flat.
Some amps that were great with the Legacy speakers did nothing to improve other speakers.

Easy to drive is about the impedance and phase angle, not sensitivity. An 85 dB speaker can be easy to drive, whereas a 95 dB might not be.

SeagoatLeo

« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2020, 09:11 pm »
I can drive either speaker wonderfully with my modded Dynaco ST70 at 35 watts and quite well with the Yamaha CR620 receiver also 35 watts.  Yes the phase angle of the Focus is quite severe but not as bad in angle and impedance as its predecessor the Focus 20/20 which went down to 2 ohms in the bass at two frequencies.  I think the Focus (originals) went down to 2.8 ohms and the Signature IIIs to 3.5 ohms, not so bad.  My EAR 890 drives either speaker wonderfully as well with 80 Class A Watts.   Great punchy deep bass from either the 890 or the ST70.  Watch out though for inferior source or cabling, those speakers will show them up.   Poorly treated listening rooms (or too small a room for the Focus) will also be a big negative.  P.S. The Focus HD is an inferior sounding version of the Focus speaker, yuk!  I haven't auditioned the Focus SE or powered version. 

dflee

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2020, 01:34 am »
opnly bafld
obviously.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2020, 11:05 pm »
P.S. The Focus HD is an inferior sounding version of the Focus speaker, yuk!  I haven't auditioned the Focus SE or powered version.

I had the HDs for a year and realised that I was listening to music less and less, I sold them and bought a pair of factory hot rodded Classics (old version with dome tweeter). The new SE version (with AMT drivers) is much better than the HD.