Need Cassette to CD Copier

Don_S

Need Cassette to CD Copier
« on: 10 Jan 2017, 07:20 pm »
I wasn't sure where to put this but since price is a factor I thought this would be the place.  I am cursed. Family and friends think I am an audio genius and keep requesting my "professional" services gratis.  :lol:

I have a friend who is looking for an affordable way to copy cassettes to CDs.  She would like a player incorporated if possible but that is not a deal breaker.  I am sure some of you have probably copied treasured cassettes to CDs. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Don_S

Re: Need Cassette to CD Copier
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:09 pm »
Thanks Phil,

I am afraid my friend might find those too complicated and then I would have to help.  :lol:
She has an Apple computer.

I see this one does Mac.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQOO8BQ?psc=1

KR500

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:14 pm »
I have been doing this digitization of cassette tapes in 2016 and bought a $70 Behringer USB mixer from Guitar Center to connect between a cassette deck and my Mac. You would need cables from the cassette deck to the mixer which Guitar Center carries.
 I used the great free downloadable software program Audacity for editing and hiss removal , pitch correction , channel balance etc and burned CD's from the hard drive.
The toughest part other than the time invested in learning was locating a good cassette deck.
I wanted to accomplish this as the cassette life was ending after 15  plus years

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2017, 03:16 pm »
Tascam CC-222SLMK??...................

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2017, 04:03 pm »
May have to got to eBay or Craigslist as I believe the Tascam unit is discontinued - http://www.ebay.com/p/TASCAM-Professional-Cassette-and-CD-Recorder-Cc-222mkiv/1129756768

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2017, 04:27 pm »
Thanks guys.  The Tascam would be the slick ticket and probably the best fidelity possible considering other options available and the limitations of the entire transfer process.  Afraid it is over my friend's budget. 

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2017, 08:20 pm »
Afraid it is over my friend's budget.

Use it and re-sell it, otherwise it's off to Goodwill or Salvation Army Family Thrift Store or even a pawn shop for a cassette player.
The computer needs a line-in of course, Audacity for Mac is free.
Then all you need are blank disks and plenty of time.

Be aware that not all CD players will play all burned disks and I have discovered that DVD and Blu-ray players are even more picky, in a couple of years the carefully copied CD's may become shiny coasters. The safest solution is to archive the ripped cassettes as ALAC or WAV or FLAC files on a backup medium stored in a anti-static bag off site after burning the CD's.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2017, 08:34 pm »
If I still had my CD recorder, I could do it but I gave away my outboard CD and DVD Recorders when I moved a few years ago.  I had one cassette I transferred to CD for myself (for a song I wrote) and I still have my cassettes (probably should have done those but didn't have the time as I had not that), many of which were MoFi or other audiophile vinyl (when I had vinyl 35+ years ago) I put on cassette the first play.  I still have a cassette deck and dBx unit.  For video tapes I bought an Ion VHS to USB deck on woot.com about 5 years back for $30 plus $5 shipping and I have converted a copy of home VHS tapes to DVD for a couple of people.  If I ever see a similar deal on one of these - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=544917&gclid=CIqe86b7v9ECFRY2gQodICMO6Q&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&A=details&Q= (I've seen them a few dollars cheaper)

I'd probably end up buying it just to have it.  I didn't use the VHS to PC thing I bought for about 4 years but for $30 it was something that a single use would be worth it.