RAM 301 review finally available!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« on: 4 Mar 2003, 12:06 am »
Here's the link:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/ram301_e.html

It's nice that it was compared against the stock 301 and gave credit to the modification as a nearly complete rebuild.

But I wish he (Scott Faller) hadn't used the Dynaudio 42's for his review.  (I just can't get excited about them, they sound like hifi not music to me and they have no bass.)  Why wouldn't a reviewer use speakers that outclass the amp so that you can really tell what the amp is doing?  I doubt if anyone would think the 42's could do that or that they would be a natural match to the RAM 301.  And why use a speaker that cannot reproduce part of the natural musical spectrum?

He did try a couple of other speakers, but....   One was vintage and relatively unknown (at least in the U.S.), so that doesn't help the reader much.  The other was another unknown that he admits are unrefined.

The only other amp mentioned in comparision was a $1,600 2A3 SET (not exactly apples to apples).

But he did spell the names right.

Rocket

ram 301 review
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2003, 06:19 am »
hello,

i thought it was a reasonably written review.  may'be the amp is that good he could still hear the difference, i think scott likes to look at affordable products that's probably the reason he chose the dynaudio's to review.

regards

rod

Marc Migliore

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2003, 10:49 pm »
Overall, that was a good review, yet Scott mildly conveyed a perceived price inequity with really no similarly-priced unit to compare the RAM with.  I'm not saying he was unfair to the RAM, just incomplete for those who are looking for market comparison. I love my music, but I couldn't possibly modify an amp to any meaningful outcome. In fact, my version of tube rolling results in broken glass. There's gotta be others in my category...well.... Maybe Scott will compare that Adcom to the RAM, but there would be some "pride" bias there.  :guitar:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2003, 04:56 pm »
I'm sure there are others that feel the same as JLM in regard to the Dynaudio's being used throughout the review. But....for those who wish to see how the RAM interacts with various speakers will want to follow his (Scott Faller's) ongoing speaker reviews at TNT-Audio. As his mentioed in his methodology http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/speakertests_e.html a few weeks back, he will continue to use the RAM 301 throughout the speaker reviews/shootout. This will give a good reference to a wide verity of speakers.

I personally find the Dyns a good choice due to their sonic reputation and the fact that they show some of the little RAM's obvious limitations with some harder to drive speakers. Bringing this out in a review, I feel, is better than finding out the hard way...... when it's to late. Every product has it's limitations and I feel Scott did a nice job with this review. I wish more reviewers out there would be as honest in some of their reviews of the high dollar stuff.