listening impressions: visaton b200 vs. wild burro betsy

AUDFILE74

has  anyone had the opportunity to directly compare the visaton b200 vs. wild burro betsy? i'm working up a project and those 2 driver's come up consistently in open baffle conversations.

Wind Chaser

Re: listening impressions: visaton b200 vs. wild burro betsy
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:36 pm »
Good question. Surely, there must be someone.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2016, 05:44 pm »
The b200 I have used for 10 years in a diy open baffle setup.

I have a lot to say about those.

I have never heard the others referenced though. 

AUDFILE74

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:43 am »
ok. share away gxr

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2016, 01:25 pm »
I have posted a fair amount about the b200 when I ran them for many years on OB.

Here is a link to when I got the Planet_10 phase plugs - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39536.msg354920#msg354920

For a full journey and exploration shared by many, try this oldie but goodie - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19253.0

To net it out, I never felt that I needed to try any other wide ranger on OB.  The Visatons did what I wanted, especially with the phase plugs added, and bass under about 90Hz passed over to a pair of 12 inch subs.

Were I to return to a DIY OB solution, I would likely look to pair the b200 with an Eminence Alpha 15 as there are lots of examples out there.

Have fun!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2016, 05:19 pm »
I like running a top end wide open and bringing up powered subs underneath.  I find that the crossover parts between a midrange and a tweeter are relatively innocuous (if you really need them), but any crossover parts between a midrange and a bass woofer tends to mess the signal up a lot.  JMHO. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2016, 07:31 pm »
I was always using active Xover, but do know what you mean about passives.

For a boxed wide ranger I agree about keeping the Xover out of it.  On OB you run the risk of running out of XMAX pretty quick on a wide range driver trying to reproduce bass.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2016, 07:58 pm »
I was always using active Xover, but do know what you mean about passives.

For a boxed wide ranger I agree about keeping the Xover out of it.  On OB you run the risk of running out of XMAX pretty quick on a wide range driver trying to reproduce bass.

Yes, very true!  I changed out the input caps on my amp to a smaller value, so the amp itself doesn't produce bass below 100hz.  Protects the midrange driver and is way better sounding than a big coil and cap in the signal path.

I've been active in the past with a miniDSP 4x10HD.  But I moved away from it in part because it bottlenecked everything to 24/96 and I have a lot of DSD recordings.  If I ever go back to fully active, I might check out the First Watt B4 which is from Nelson Pass. 

matevana

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:06 pm »
Or a pair of these...