MAG-LEV Audio | The First Levitating Turntable

OzarkTom

Re: MAG-LEV Audio | The First Levitating Turntable
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2016, 12:36 am »

Anyway this thread was not about that, it was simply a public service announcement about some new Kickstarter gimmick table so I will bow out, and those that are looking to save money, and build something worth the money will look elsewhere anyway.

No big deal.

:scratch:

So Where did you get that idea? This tt popped up on my facebook feed, so I thought I would share it. I have no connection with Kickstarter or this tt company. In fact, I no longer own records or a phono preamp. I got rid of those 25 years ago.

Age 30? Before you were born I sold many tt's. VPI, Linn, Sota, Rega, Pink Triangle, Micro Seiki,  B&O, and the cheap AR. I will give you one guess on which one of these sounded the best.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2016, 04:49 am »
( ....)VPI, Linn, Sota, Rega, Pink Triangle, Micro Seiki,  B&O, and the cheap AR. I will give you one guess on which one of these sounded the best.

Now you've got me curious! Which one?

undertow

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:02 pm »

So Where did you get that idea? This tt popped up on my facebook feed, so I thought I would share it.

Sorry I did not mean your post was a public announcement, or that you were affiliated with anyone...

What I meant is my original response I saw as a sarcastic "Public announcement" that the table was a waste of money for the technology they present. Which just deteriorated due to mentioning something about the Technics new table as well. But actually I was saying "Your better off" literally as better off with a good proven table like the Technics which is still a bit over priced in comparison to this levitation device, and somebody took offense  :roll:

Problem with emails and forums tone and angle are always read 100 different ways!

Anyway to make it clear my comments had nothing to do with your original post, or reason for posting it I apologize.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:25 pm »
Hi, Neobop is so right! Whoever wants to invest in that turntable should do a little research.
    Stanton did that with the Gyropoise 8004-11 table in 1976 and maybe a little earlier. It sold then for 199 bucks. Look it up on Google. With my 1977 Stereo Buyers Guide on my lap I will copy the first paragraph for you......
    Here is a turntable whose platter literally floats in space. If you could take it apart and see the suspension you would actually believe that Jules Verne is alive and well working at the Stanton laboratories.
   It never caught on because of the magnetic field created or something to that effect.
   I don't want to quote Will Sonett, played by Walter Brennan but (no brag, just fact)........Mark Korda.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:38 pm »
Now you've got me curious! Which one?

The cheap AR beat all the others. Better soundstage, more detail, and better dynamics. But deaden the stock platter with another mat or mods and it ruined it. It sure shocked me. I always had thought a dead, heavy platter would be the best sounding.

I forgot one, I also sold the beautiful Oracle Delphi, the AR beat that one also. That sure was a bummer. :cry:

undertow

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2016, 02:01 pm »
I will throw in... Since it's better to make this a constructive post at this point.

Suspension Decks I have owned -

AR -

J.A. Michell Gyro S.E.

Linn

Solid Decks -

Technics 1200

Music Hall 9.1 S.E.

Rega Forget which one

VPI Scout

Nottingham Hyperspace/with heavy kit / AC servo motor

Zorin Audio / with custom Origin live DC motor, and controller, Plus 12" arm

Probably a few others just don't have them in mind right now.

_______________________________________ _______________________________________ __________

In my experiments over the years I have had little luck with the suspension tables so I am not a big fan accept for the J.A. was good. Almost the best. But it had easy arm board capabilities to swap around, and try things without major mods like the rest would require.

I have had much better luck with Solid tables. Not necessarily "High Mass" like the Hyper space, or the Zorin, but solid.

I believe any of them need these things to perform at their best -

1- Solid suspension as just too much hassle, and noise getting spring suspension tables right which is part of my opposition to the "Levitation" table.

2- a real speed controller, and way to adjust for as fine as possible, real time speed rotation is everything or you have nothing when it comes to analog, and every ones power coming in is different.

3- DC motors are far better in my opinion. Weird thing is they may make a little more noise physically if you put your ear up to the housing, BUT they don't bleed hum into the main system which I have had many times with big AC motors. I have had zero issues with adjustable DC motors.

4-
I just like longer arms better... 12" seems to be more correct, and accurate on setup which they argue that the original cutters were more mimicked by a 12" arm anyway. I have since abandoned 9" and 10" arms from the likes of Nottingham, VPI, Project, etc... after hearing proper 12" setup with full speed control. :thumb:

Finally out of all the materials in use for turntable builds, bearings, etc... Ceramic, brass, aluminum, stainless, carbon fiber, cork...

My honest opinion they all can work pretty well in the right combination, my current table has a little of every one of them! But for mats I prefer either Carbon fiber, or just plain old CORK. Natural sound.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2016, 02:38 pm »

So Where did you get that idea? This tt popped up on my facebook feed, so I thought I would share it. I have no connection with Kickstarter or this tt company. In fact, I no longer own records or a phono preamp. I got rid of those 25 years ago.

Age 30? Before you were born I sold many tt's. VPI, Linn, Sota, Rega, Pink Triangle, Micro Seiki,  B&O, and the cheap AR. I will give you one guess on which one of these sounded the best.

"Public service announcement" does not imply you have a stake in this. 

So we're talking around 1986 and before?

Dear reader,
This thread has gone far afield and I suggest you take opinions with a grain of salt.   One of the earlier AR's, the Xa I think, was a high value table with good potential.  There was a later, nice looking version which was not so good.
To say the AR was better than a mid '80s LP12, is just wrong IMO.  Tables with suspensions require careful set up, otherwise you haven't heard what the table can do.  Perhaps the AR was more forgiving.

I think it was 1985 when J Gordon Holt declared the Sota vacuum table as king.  Does that make it so?  Salt is cheap.
neo

undertow

« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2016, 02:42 pm »
I have heard good and bad with the Sota Vacuum tables.

Never had one, not sure they are worth the hassle either...

But yes technology has come a long way and it has it's place in analog as well to a degree. But it's sorta like "Tubes" most will never like NEW tubes over a good pair of NOS no matter what you tell them, or what they hear as long as they believe it was from the golden era it's gotta be the best!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2016, 02:51 pm »
I detect some testiness here.   :wave:

Peace on earth, gentlemen.   :angel:

Opinions are not facts -- so don't treat them as such and get all upset over them.
Your opinions are also not facts -- don't expect others to agree as if they were.

Truth -- it's there somewhere, I believe, but you won't find it on internet forum. 

So respect opinions from others and respectfully agree or disagree.  Then expect the same from others.

Thanks.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:47 pm »
So the platter must have an array of permanent magnets and the plinth has various electric coils to provide magnetism that will attract/repulse to spin the platter on an axis without a physical spindle.  I would be very impressed if the patented servo control system can lock in speed and position to minimize wow, flutter, wobble and keep it on steady level.  That seems a lot to ask from one dimensional magnetic interaction between the stator and the rotor while keeping magnetic field away from above the rotor. 

From that Euro show, video shows it works but I don't know how well.  The choice of stock arm and pickup could be an indication of it's expected performance range.  I don't know -- just a guess.  Call me a skeptic who is interested in testing it out in person.

simoon

« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2016, 06:11 pm »
This is my current turntable.

A Teac TN400, with Magnefloat.

Bought it back in the very early 80's. The platter, if no one guessed by the "magnefloat" nomenclature, floats magnetically. No bearing wear, way less noise transmitted from motor.

I have it mounted on a 1" plexi DIY plinth, with a 12" Opera tonearm, and some inexpensive, but very effective Ebay purchased isolation feet.

Everything old is new again...

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2016, 06:30 pm »
Been many moons since TT owned. It looks like an accident waiting to happen but am sure problems have been engineered out. I would forever be worried about angle of platter, if spindle in middle, stable RPM…

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2016, 06:31 pm »
This thing has no spindle.  It's creating a magnetic axis around which the platter turns.  How effectively is my question.

I have a magnetic floater too but it still has a mechanical spindle.

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:50 am »
Hey!

I came across this while on youtube and look like there's already topic posted on this one. So, I'll just post this here instead of starting a new one. I haven't been following audio much lately, I'm sure most older timers here on AC probably know that I haven't been here much lately.

Anyway, I didn't know about this TT until today. I have to say that sure looks cool. But it is me that the platter wobble quite a bit in the air?

https://youtu.be/JUlPN2A_r-g

And I find is funny that the guy seem to be a bit surprised when he's telling the viewers the price. Also, I have no idea who this guy is but he is pretty popular on youtube and people sure like waching unboxing videos? Got to love that background montage while he was playing music on it  :lol:

So, $2900? Wonder how it sounds and stable it is?

Buddy

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:45 am »
The Kickstarter launch has been pretty brutal for the backers. You can follow the action on the comment tab of their Kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245727224/mag-lev-audio-the-first-levitating-turntable/comments

Saturn94

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:25 pm »
That platter is wobbling a lot.

It just a high dollar conversation piece.  :shake:

bacobits1

« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2019, 11:53 pm »
I would never do anything on Kickstarter.
Much better ways to spend 3k on a table.

That platter wobble is unacceptable, that arm feels like a toy in use. Too light.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2019, 12:52 am »
The buy in at Kickstarter was about $500-$600 as I recall.  It's a novelty to be sure, but they are struggling with the technology.

SET Man

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2019, 12:59 am »
The Kickstarter launch has been pretty brutal for the backers. You can follow the action on the comment tab of their Kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/245727224/mag-lev-audio-the-first-levitating-turntable/comments

Hey!

Ouch! That doesn't look good. I've never backed anything on Kickstarter, but there are some great stuffs came out of it and at the same time I've seen some awful stuffs or worst nothing at all out of Kickstarter.

That platter is wobbling a lot.

It just a high dollar conversation piece.  :shake:
I would never do anything on Kickstarter.
Much better ways to spend 3k on a table.

That platter wobble is unacceptable, that arm feels like a toy in use. Too light.

Yes, I noticed that on the video too. I think the idea is great but seems like the designer took it to the extreme by having the platter floating that high, just to show off. By doing that the platter had to be light in weight and that cause wobble and this likely will get exaggerated by a somewhat warped records.

Oh! And I don't think having magnet field that strong around the cart or any audio equipment is a good idea.  :scratch:

But I do have congrats them for making it work though, it is pretty indeed. I haven't heard it myself so it might be good but until then I think I'll stick with my good old turntable.

Buddy

toocool4

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2019, 08:00 am »
I listened to it via headphones over 2 years ago at the Munich High End show and listened to it via a full system last year. All I can say is, it’s interesting but it’s not ready for prime time viewing yet.