Amber or Level 4 DAC

hifibuff

Amber or Level 4 DAC
« on: 22 Sep 2016, 05:29 am »
i am in the market for a DAC. Considering an Amber, used L4 (g3 or higher) or Audio Note 3.1 SE. As of right now, only playing RB and SACDs. Next year I will get a music computer together. There seems little user comments on the Amber compared to the higher models. I do like the Amber having DSD, which most L4 do not have. The L4 seems like it would give me the sound I am looking for and the Amber might be missing some of the magic the L4 or higher models offers. The Audio Note may sound like a Koetsu Black cartridge, while having the mids that I'm looking for but missing on other points.  My gut is favoring the L4.

Musicality comes first. My system is pretty good except for the digital. EVS modded Sony DVD player, First Sound pre, Quicksilver MS190 or RM9 Mk 2, Soundlab A3 with AU transformer all wire with Magnan or Music Advancement Co cables.

6N6P tube used in some of the Lamps should give me the sound I want more that 6922 or equivalent.

Steve

rpf

Re: Amber or Level 4 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2016, 05:57 am »
The Amber has just been replaced by the Amber II. 12AU7s with tube rectification and copper foil caps (the latter two absent from the original Amber, IIRC). Also a new digital converter (not the Sabre).

You might want to wait for some reviews of the new unit before committing. I ordered one that should arrive in a couple of days. I'll post when it's been broken in although I haven't heard the upper level Lampis.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2017, 04:04 pm by rpf »

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm »
Amber 2 and not by a small margin.  I'm sure rpf will likely update with some of his impressions, but it is a way better dac than the original Amber which in turn was better than prior generation L4s.

hifibuff

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:41 pm »
Thank you both for your reply's. Really thinking about the Amber II. I would like to hear rpf's thoughts on the sound when he receives his. I know it will take awhile for it to burn in.

Gopher, in what way is the Amber II better than the previous L4? Warmth, detail, PRAT, staging, etc?

I noticed I forgot to list me phono section.
Acoustic Solid Small machine w/copper mat
Denon DP80 w/Lead Balloon base
ET 2.5
Fuchs  tonearm
Benz Micro MC3
Keiski Purple Heart
Clearaudio Accurate
MFA Luminescence for phono stage.

Is the Amber II available in the USA or does it need to come from Poland?

Berto

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2016, 01:28 am »
Hi hifibuff

Listening to a burned in Amber II right now. I'm Gophers partner and have had the pleasure of owning every Lampizator from 3 on. Amber II is the 13th Lampi I've owned to give you an idea. While this is our entry level DAC, there is nothing entry level about the sound.  My Last L4 I owned over a year ago so it's tough to compare from memory. The L4 was DAC that made me and Gopher fall in love with Lampi.  I would say the Amber does everything the L4 did at 50% less cost. If it's not better, it's certainly as good.

With the musical quality the Amber II provides i'm lost for words IRT warmth, detail , PRAT, staging. This DAC does it all and at a very high level. My last DAC was our loaded GG and although alot better, I still get the same beautiful holographic house sound.

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:46 am »
rpf or Berto

Any more thoughts on the Amber II.  And to Gopher and Berto if you have heard both the Amber II and Atlantic some sort of thoughts on the two of them even with the price difference.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2016, 04:20 am »
It's amazing. I'll be posting a review by early next week.