US Audition AKSA 100W N+ REVIEWS

guest1632

« Reply #60 on: 25 Jun 2005, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: AKSA
Thanks Jon,

Very good points;  appreciate the suggestions.

At this point I cannot sustain a full-on preamp and amp at the same time;  right now I'm just putting the finishing touches to the GK1 Swift (getting that last shred of hum out of a tube preamp is always amusing, but I cracked it today!!) and have the next five accounted for to customers.

I strongly support the idea of lending the touring amp out to high end clubs;  and to this end, let the requests roll in.  It's a great idea, as it gets t ...

Hi Hugh, Well, an interesting read would be the Aksa compared to the Nuforce amp that is getting a lot of press here on the circle. I believe Tyicus  (sorry don't have his name correctly spelled) who lives in Australia too. He owns a Nuforce. I believe the going price for the Aksa here in the states would be about as I read somewhere $2200 or so. The Nuforce is about $1600. I don't own either yet. Is there something that could be done to give the Aksa mor bass authority, or is that just a reasonably high damping factor? Thanks.

Ray

AKSA

« Reply #61 on: 11 Jul 2005, 04:42 am »
Hi Ray,

Sorry about the tardy reply.  Better late than never!!

It's always difficult to comment on issues of comparative value with other products and 'bass authority'.  The perception that the AKSA could use more bass authority is not universal;  a number of people think that it has more bass authority than most, while others say there is more than enough, and a few say that they could use more.  The fact is that the bass response is flat to around 18Hz, so I can only assume that amps with more bass authority have a deliberately tipped up bass response to suit the perceived market!!

Haven't heard the NuForce.  Are they PWM amps, or linear?

Cheers,

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #62 on: 11 Jul 2005, 08:06 pm »
Hi Ray,

Sorry about the tardy reply.  Better late than never!!

It's always difficult to comment on issues of comparative value with other products and 'bass authority'.  The perception that the AKSA could use more bass authority is not universal;  a number of people think that it has more bass authority than most, while others say there is more than enough, and a few say that they could use more.  The fact is that the bass response is flat to around 18Hz, so I can only assume that amps with more bass  ...

Hi Hugh,  Well they are sorta PWM. You might read up on these on AA. Is the Swift gonna be in a kit form or just the GK1? Or has that been pulled altogether.

Ray

AKSA

« Reply #63 on: 11 Jul 2005, 11:53 pm »
Ray,

I was emailed by a good friend;  the NuForce uses the ICEpower switching module, so yes, it's a switching amp.

A linear and a switching amp have very different sounds, of course.

The GK1 is still available in the EL and Manual control version as a kit.  The remote control version, the R, has been pulled, yes, and is replaced by the Swift which is now shipping as a fully built product for $US2800.

Cheers,

Hugh

guest1632

« Reply #64 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:10 am »
Ray,

I was emailed by a good friend;  the NuForce uses the ICEpower switching module, so yes, it's a switching amp.

A linear and a switching amp have very different sounds, of course.

The GK1 is still available in the EL and Manual control version as a kit.  The remote control version, the R, has been pulled, yes, and is replaced by the Swift which is now shipping as a fully built product for $US2800.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh, It very well might be the ICE  type switching amp. They do some tricks that improve upon its performance a whole lot.

Ray

gonefishin

« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2005, 12:23 am »
Hi Hugh,

I've recently had the opportunity to listen to my AKSA compared directly to three other amplifiers on the same speakers with same source...etc.

There were four amplifiers in all...the AKSA 100n+, a Parasound SS, modded Jolida and a modded Golden Tube.

I was very surprised how well the AKSA does against other amplifiers.  I think the concensous at the meeting was that the Golden Tube was the best sounding.  But I think this is where people are listening/wanting some very different things.  

As you know...I've always been a fan of tubes.  Even though I've got nothing against PP design...the depth and clarity is always what had gotten my got with various 300b, 45, 2A3 amps.  

I've known what the AKSA does well in my hybrid HE system...but was interested (and nervous) about how it would stand up on a more "audiophile" type speaker, being the Ellis 1801.  

I was impressed at the sound.  Of the four, there were only two that would have grabbed my attention enough to actually sit down if I were passing in the room with these speakers playing.  This says nothing bad about the speakers at all...but about the differences that components can make (the modded Jolida was the other amp that I thought had grabbed a nice second place.  Nothing as "real" as the AKSA...but a nice sound modded tube amp...more pleasing than real attributes that I know look for in an amplifier.

The AKSA with the Ellis speakers was much as they are with my TAD/jbl EdgarHorn system.  Clear, concise, dynamic, layered with great imaging and a real soundstage.  They're just so focused, but this isn't alone what gets me about the AKSA (I've heard nice focus in other SS amps and I've still never been a fan.  The layering of sound is really what I've heard that has been missing in other SS amps that I've listened to.  Also, this layering is what I've also liked about some good tube amps...but the AKSA seems to have the ability to layer the depth of the music, while not creating a jumbled mess that leaves you more with the feeling of phasing parlor tricks, rather than good design/voicing.  Add into hear the dynamics that this amp delivers and I think you've got an incredibly nicely designed/voiced amplifier.

I've heard you talk about changing design or making a hybrid amplifier before...after reading your posts for a while now I would take assurance that you wouldn't just come out with a new amp for sale unless you actually felt it was worthy.  But I really think some people are after different things in audio.  To me...the AKSA delivers the consistency across the band of a well built/designed amplifier.  This is what I want to hear.  To me...this gives me the opportunity to let my music sound more like a concert (and real instruments playing music) rather than music playing on a stereo system.

I think I like what your ears tell you to design.  Please don't move away from that.  

With all that said...I'm still not sure what I'll do with my tweeter amp (the Cary 300se certainly isn't going to stay there long term).  But I may end up with some PP el34 tube amp up there...who knows?  

dan

AKSA

« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2005, 01:09 pm »
Dan,

Many thanks for the thoughtful post, appreciate your comments.

I do understand that the Aspen products have a 'house' sound.  It's actually an amalgam of my interpretation, Darl Singh, and Simon Williams, the last two fellows with auric ears, and it ain't changin' soon.......

The new amps would not supplant the existing kit lineup.  That will remain intact, promise!!

Cheers,

Hugh