The Loudspeaker Kit - TL6's

Tabascosauce

« on: 13 Nov 2004, 06:26 am »
Anybody have any experience or views on these?

I had a listen yesterday.  They seem like good value.  I wasn't quite sure if they had enough top end for me.

Rocket

tl6's
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2004, 12:07 am »
Hi,

Sorry i haven't heard speakers from that particular company.

You should check out War Audio in osborne park as they have some wonderful designed finished or kit speakers.

Regards

Rod

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2004, 01:07 am »
I don't think you should buy it if you heard it and didn't like it. Is this your first speaker kit? If so I would suggest building something smaller and cheaper first. You could build their $200 mini-monitor and see if you enjoy the experience. Or if you want to go ahead in that price range there are others you could look at such as the source Rod suggests or the Aksonics (AKSA forum here).

That company does have the advantage of providing precut panels. But, you still have to finish them.

bluesky

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2004, 01:15 am »
Hi Tobascosauce

I have not heard these particular speakers but would have to recomend the Aksonics speaker kit from Hugh Dean of Aspen Amplifiers.

These really are great speakers and are reasonably comparable in price and have much better drivers IMO plus they are "tweakable" to suit your listening room.  They use the new Vifa ring tweeter which provides exceptional top end.  Up to 40kHZ which is well beyond human hearing range apparently.  Bass is good but the transmission line design may best the Aksonics in this area but I have to say I have not found this a problem at all.  I was listening to Joe Satriani with my son the other day (he is learning bass guitar) and the bass was very good indeed and the definition being such that we could follow the base line with ease (and it was not a one note bass that so many speakers portray).    

I keep being pleasantly surprised by them each time I upgrade some other part of my system.  Recently I installed a Tent Clock and some caps and the extra resolution was great.  Just this morning I put some Western Electric 396A valves in my Shanling CD player and yes, even more resolution and detail.  My system now has a very live feel to it and I can easily hear the harmonics and decay of notes on instruments like an acoustic guitar and piano.  Imaging is quite extraordinary as well.  

They are not difficult to build but I do have a Triton table saw and Jasper circle jig which makes the cutting of all the panels a lot easier.  I have now made three sets and can do the various cuts required fairly quickly now that I am familar with the design.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Tabascosauce

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2004, 05:21 am »
Thanks Ian.

By coincidence, the other speakers I was considering were the Aksonics.  I have heard them, and they were outstanding.

The TL6's have two 6.5" woofers in each speaker, and an impressive transmission line.

However, individually, the drivers are better on the Aksonics.  The tweeter on the TL6 only goes up to 20khz.  Despite what the salesman told me, I could tell the difference!

Pricewise, the Aksonics are slightly cheaper, but more fuss to construct.

I'm running an Aksa 55N+ and a MAS Charisma II.

WerTicus

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:32 am »
the LSK TL6's, being a kit you could easily upgrade its cross over, especially behind the tweeter and you will no longer have a problem with the top end... that is what I did with mine... being a kit it is make to fit a price... thankfully the cost wasnt cut on drivers but on the xover so 'fixing it' is easy to do!

also the xover is adjustable to be brighter or what not to suit your room.
you cant do better for the price i dont think.

I can offer you free advice on this when your building them....

Rod is right about WAR having some excellent offers.  But thats is a totally different level to LSK, price and performance wise.

Rocket

loudspeaker co. kits
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2004, 12:32 pm »
Hi,

Although my speaker would cost quite a lot of money to build now, Pat does have affordable kits for sale.  His xover's use axon caps, are very well designed and are world class.

He has axon speaker kits, an mtm access (focal) 7 inch driver and focal tdx120 tweeter as a kit.  In fact that was my first speaker that i had built and it is phenomenal for the price.

War Audio's phone number is (08) 9242 5538.

I would try them before the other company.

Regards

Rod

EchiDna

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:38 pm »
Rod, no disrespect, but occasionally you stumble over the line when it comes to shilling for WAR... if you don't know what that is, then please look it up. From an impartial veiw, it actually looks pretty 'ugly' - not an accurate term, but it can be a bit OTT ;-)

I believe your speakers are great and I wish you all the best with them, but not everyone in Perth must have 'em!

don't worry, I've done it myself with regard to AKSA in the past... it's all part of the online eticate learning curve!

Rocket

Loudspeaker kits
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2004, 11:58 pm »
Hi Echidna,

I'm certainly not one of the worst on this forum in regard to recommending products  :) .  Quite a strong statement to make imo....

Anyway, i was just giving another alternative in the same price range.  He does live in perth and if he likes he can go to war audio and make his own mind up for himself.

Regards

Rod

ps to be honest i have enthusiastically recommended hugh's kit amp more often than war audio speakers.

EchiDna

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:22 am »
you the worst offender? no chance! however, it's just that it is consistantly the same things, from companies that I know, which probably makes it more evident to me? a bit hard to translate into text...  

thats all ;-)

Rocket

Hi
« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:39 am »
Hi Echidna,

Just sent you a pm.

regards

rod

WerTicus

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:46 pm »
I dont think you should even compare WAR to LSK they are totally different markets.

But if your in perth check out both!

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:59 pm »
Rod's posts don't strike me as shilling (sp?) at all... :o

But while we're on the topic, who else in Aus sells speaker kits? I'll create a sticky with the list of suppliers for future posters.

Rocket

Loundspeaker kits
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2004, 01:26 pm »
Hi John,

I think it is a great idea to have an australian reference for loudspeaker kits and possibly other manufactured kits.

Unfortunately i don't know of any others and can't help with further information.

Regards

Rod

WerTicus

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2004, 03:07 pm »
JayCar
WAR
and LSK
the only ones i know of in Perth.

Iced Halo

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2004, 12:24 am »
Dont' forget VAF speakers.

Cheers,
Mike

EchiDna

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2004, 02:50 am »

Docster

Speaker Kits
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2004, 11:08 am »
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/index.htm

haven't heard them but these Jordan kits have a following

Seano

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2004, 10:48 pm »
WES Components in Sydney are the Oz distributors for Peerless, Vifa and Scan-Speak. They also do speaker kits designed by a dude called Russell Stone. Never seen 'em, never heard them but they are out there......

www.wescomponents.com

WerTicus

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2004, 01:50 am »
I have seen but not heard these wes kits actually... just slipped my mind.

I dont think they are very high end.  Using just entry level scan speak stuff.

If you call that entry level  :lol: