Tube Sharing

denoiad

Tube Sharing
« on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:35 pm »
I'm not sure if this exists or has come up before.  If so please point me in the right direction. Also let me apologize in advance if this is frowned upon.

Like many of you I like to tube roll, and I'm often curious to see what a different set of tubes would sound like.   There are so many variants and the cost is prohibitive.  So i was wondering if a group of people might want to start a tube sharing group.   

Come up with a list of tubes we would be interested in trying, split the costs and ship them around to each other to try, say for a week or 2 at a time.  Sell them at the end and distribute the proceeds amongst the group or use it for the next round of purchases.     Or better yet,  share tubes we already own for a period of time.   

I'm personally interested in 300B and KT88,6L6,6550.   But no need to keep it to my interests. 

Is anyone interested in something like this?

JakeJ

Re: Tube Sharing
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:48 pm »
Who buys the tubes that are shipped around?  Like you said it's so cost prohibitive that it's unlikely to get the base group of tubes together to start off.  Also most are into rolling the small signal tubes as they tend to have a greater sonic effect than output tubes do.

thorman

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2016, 03:47 pm »
 Just a Thought : To me it would make more sense to start a Matrix of all tubes. Input and Power tubes. Adding tube type and sound of tube into a given component....This would provide an Operator a guide to follow when considering tube for a specific  Component....Evert Manufacturer seems to have a " Type Of Sound " and knowing what tube will fit where might help tube rollers....

I think shipping tubes around the country could lead to excessive handling and eventually end up with tube that no longer function properly...To me providing a Matrix of Various tube and how they sound in a particular situation might be more beneficial .  Just my 2 cents worth........

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2016, 10:40 pm »
Just a Thought : To me it would make more sense to start a Matrix of all tubes. Input and Power tubes. Adding tube type and sound of tube into a given component....This would provide an Operator a guide to follow when considering tube for a specific  Component....Evert Manufacturer seems to have a " Type Of Sound " and knowing what tube will fit where might help tube rollers....
+1 this seems interesting, do you have a link to this Evert Manufacturer site?
I had fail to locate.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2016, 11:22 pm »
Sharing tubes is good idea if mail costs can be worked out.

Matrix is another good idea. But I think description/vocabulary is hurdle.

thorman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2016, 12:19 am »
Sorry for the spelling mistake. I meant to say " Every Manufacturer " , not evert

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2016, 11:58 am »
It sounds like a fantastic idea, gents.  However, in the past I was quite generous about lending out tubes; some to sell, some just so others could hear for themselves.  Things went fine for a couple of tries.  Then I got one pair of 12AX7s back where both had severely bent pins and one had become noisy.  I'm not entirely sure I got back the same pair I sent.  That was the last time I did that.  It's a shame that, for me, one person ruined the experience for all.  Just know this will likely happen eventually if youz guyz proceed.

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:15 pm »
Perhaps the best way to approach the need to try different tubes in your own circuit is to contact a tube vendor and tell them your needs/desires along with the gear being used and see if they can provide some trial tubes to test for a nominal "rental" fee with all the legal agreements in place, of course.

In my VAC CPA-1 MkII there are 6 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7, and 2 x 6922.  Re-tubing with NOS could easily top $1000 so for me it is far too cost prohibitive to roll those but it might be interesting to roll some of the new production tubes that are affordable.

Some vendors have knowledge of the gear we use and can make suggestions, help weed out tubes that may not be worth testing.

Any thoughts on this?