Watkins Audio Speakers....ONE of the BEST SPEAKERS on the MARKET...At Any PRICE?

Batman Basmati

But some good came of it as our ServerAdmin uncovered a dual personality.  Other than that, it's run its course.
Negative comments, conjecture and pomposity are so frustrating when a person merely wants to read something educational or
informative on so many of these audio forums.  Why can't people just stick to facts and not go off insulting each other and the product or services trying to be discussed in an intelligent manner?

wushuliu

• “Forget it, Jake. It’s Internet-town.”
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/watkins-stereo-generation-four-loudspeaker/

What stands out is that it is a double chamber reflex speaker which based on my limited experience can sound incredible. Why more speakers don’t use it I don’t know. Actually I do, because it involves a little more work than standard bass reflex and time ismoney. Other than that though it just looks like a typical peerless/seas monitor with very good $50 woofer and tweeter, both of which are popular in diy circles.

Note the admission about dealer markup. The internet direct makes speakers more reasonably priced. But Bargain of the century? Put them up against the CSS Satori monitor and say, a Fritz - both internet direct with muuch better drivers - and then maybe decide. But the double chamber reflex is a clever advantage.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
...the double chamber reflex is a clever advantage.

But comes with its own compromises too.

dave

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
But comes with its own compromises too.

dave

Oh ... please explain.

Lester

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
A less flat impedance curve, and one has 2 be careful to not end up with 2-note bass (as a single chamber can have 1-note bass). Since we are tuning 2 boxes we have 2 resonances to deal with.

dave