HT Setup

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
HT Setup
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2004, 12:09 am »
Sorry,

No experience here. The only thing I heard on multi-channel was an Eagles recording.  The recording quality was actually quite decent.  This is the extreme exception with darn-near all pop recordings.  Allison Krauss (spelling?) has some very good recordings, but there just aren't many pop-artists producing high quality recordings.  I suppse this warrants another string in this chat window.  Certainly there are good recordings I am not familair with.

When I consider 5 channel audio, I consider a few things.  First, I am cheap.  I am really not willing to spend the $ necessary to get quality in a 5 channel setup.  I am quite happy with my 2-channel setup and teh sound quality provided.  Second, as mentioned above, there are so very few good recordings in 2-channel stereo.  The quantity of good recordings in 5-channel is... well... I think you know my sentiment about this.  

Further, when I attend the symphony, the instruments are in-front of my listening position.  I did hear a good 5 channel setup at Him Salk's home.  The quality was excellent.  However, I found it strange to have instruments behind my head.  I suppose my view on this is eschewed.  I am only a listener at the symphony.  Folks who actually play an instruement IN the symphony migth prefere the music-all-around deal.

Lastly, one of Jim Salks (1801) customers echoed Al Garay's remarks from a few years ago.  Jim's customer said the speakers sounded glorious, but rendered at least 50% of his recordings unlistenable.  Such is the case with most pop recordings.  I really don't mean to purvey a snooty or snobbish attitude about good and bad recordings.  It's a learned listening preference.   I prefere the good stuff.  For old rock-n-roll gimme' some big JBLs!

Oh, I see how you guys are.  

Yeah, that's how I am :)  .