Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????

rif

• Not a cowboy or a dog owner
Re: Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jun 2017, 12:55 pm »
just bought a SurgeX used on ebay for under $100.  6 receptacles, 8 amps. Some of the two receptacles have gone for $50

I've always been hesitant about buying used surge equipment since you never know what abuse or surges it's had to handle.  Is that a valid concern?

S Clark

• Measurements don't make your toes tap
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jun 2017, 01:16 pm »
Yes, it's a bit of a gamble. This one has a 30 day return option.  But it's easy to test- push the "Test" button. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jun 2017, 02:12 pm »
I've always been hesitant about buying used surge equipment since you never know what abuse or surges it's had to handle.  Is that a valid concern?

Yes, with MOV based gear I'd avoid entirely as they wear out. With the SurgeX/etc. type devices there are electrolytic caps that can wear out (they are easily replaceable) but even if they are worn the surge suppression will still work to a large degree. SurgeX/etc. does not use MOVs or dump surge energy to ground.

ExileSt

« Reply #43 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the place for this. 

In my new apartment, every time the air kicks on I get a small pop through the speakers.  I assume this is ... bad.  And I further assume I need some kind of surge suppressor. (?)

Having read the thread, it seems like non-MOV is the way to go.  And in looking for the cheapest thing I can get away with, I see this Zero Surge on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Surge-Power-Quality-Filter-Surge-Protector-2R7-5W-ZeroSurge-New-In-Box/382160918001

My question:  Is 7.5 amps enough for power amp, buffer, and DAC?  Or do I need something beefier?  Or a different direction altogether? 

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 5 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the place for this. 

In my new apartment, every time the air kicks on I get a small pop through the speakers.  I assume this is ... bad.  And I further assume I need some kind of surge suppressor. (?)

Having read the thread, it seems like non-MOV is the way to go.  And in looking for the cheapest thing I can get away with, I see this Zero Surge on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Surge-Power-Quality-Filter-Surge-Protector-2R7-5W-ZeroSurge-New-In-Box/382160918001

My question:  Is 7.5 amps enough for power amp, buffer, and DAC?  Or do I need something beefier?  Or a different direction altogether? 

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Honestly, I don't know... but I think there's some chance the unit will limit dynamics. I'd look for a 20A unit.

WGH

• Artwork that Opens and Closes
    • WGH Woodworking
« Reply #45 on: 6 Dec 2017, 02:04 am »
Try the Tripp-Lite Isobar mentioned many times in this thread, it is good at filtering out noise.
The Isobar Ultra 4 is only $38.71 at Home Depot and if it doesn't stop the pops you can return it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tripp-Lite-Isobar-4-6-ft-Cord-with-4-Oulet-Strip-ISOBAR4ULTRA/203139329