Serious Warning for Linux users

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: Serious Warning for Linux users
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jul 2016, 09:28 pm »
You can easily delete your whole documents, downloads, photos, music, and videos all at once... It will let you do that. And the recovery options may not work. I'm going back to windows as soon as I figure out how to spoof M$'s website into allowing me to download an ISO to use with my factory key. (The website says to call Lenovo but that won't work)

I'm just saying, it will let you do it, and they're gone before you know it.
You can also do that in windows.

If you want to recover your data then DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE with that hard drive.
Take it to a reputable computer repair shop and they could recover everything/somethings.

Data is not actually removed from a hard drive. Instead when you "delete" something the space that something resides in is now marked available to put new data.

Unless you specifically deleted the recovery partition it will still be hidden in the drive and contain all the original OEM install data.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jul 2016, 09:33 pm »
Have you entered you product key here?:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm »
Yes, that's exactly the problem.

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jul 2016, 02:15 am »
Unless you specifically deleted the recovery partition it will still be hidden in the drive and contain all the original OEM install data.

I was doing some research during lunch and Linux does strange things with partitions. The lsblk command may show if the Q partition is still there but I don't know Linux well enough.
http://fibrevillage.com/storage/53-lsblk-command-examples

Q? Lenovo gave the backup partition the letter Q although there is no guarantee yours is Q, is could be S or anything else. But if it is you need to find the program LenovoQDrive.exe
And if you do find the hidden partition what do you do with it? Ideally copy it to a thumb drive or USB hard drive, and then the fun begins.
The drive letter has to be changed to Q to begin with, that is what the .ini file looks for.
Then you have to run the LenovoQDrive.exe file.
But Linux probably won't run the .exe file
So you should boot from the Windows 7 Emergency Repair Boot Disk which you made as soon as you got your computer and use the Command Prompt to navigate to LenovoQDrive.exe on the new Q drive.

The emergency boot disk files used to be available from Microsoft but no more but PC River has Windows 7 iso files available to download, this is not usenet or torrent and is on page 1 of a Google "microsoft windows 7 emergency boot disk" search so as long as you use your legal registration number it looks like a legal download to me.
http://pcriver.com/category/operating-systems/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:20 am »
I not surprised Unix is a limited features OS for big business, the best server OS I had work was the OpenVMS from Digital Co.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2016, 10:23 pm »
The problem with Linux & Unix (2 different yet similar OSs) is the assumption that you know what you're doing.  I've used both for decades and have no problems with them.  I also did several dozen wipe/reinstalls as I was learning. 

If I'm building a desktop for a user it is Windows.  If I'm building a system to provide services or be extremely reliable I use Linux.