DIY Powerbox

MarinRider

Great to see lots of people not buying rip-off Mains Boxes
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2003, 08:52 am »
I am using something similar to the http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/ac_outletc/page01.htm  suggested by Black Cat, but it's even simpler. I call it the octopus (even though mine only has 7 legs).

A while back I noticed that it makes a difference where/how I plugged in my hi-fi. The conclusion I came to is that it sounds better with everthing plugged in close together - my belief is that this is due to the impedance of the earth connections relative to each piece of equipment.

I wanted the simplest solution with the shortest cables and fewest connections, fortunately it also cost next to nothing.

Basically it's a black ABS box (for discreet appearance and electrical isolation) containing two 30A mains terminal blocks - in the UK these are the rectangular ones made by MK. One of the "legs" has a mains plug fitted and the other 6 have IEC sockets fitted. Because the terminal blocks have removable screws it is possible to use one continuous cable from the mains plug to one of the IEC sockets - strip the cable mid way along to connect through both terminal blocks in "series". You can use the same technique for the other IECs i.e. an IEC at each end of each cable, with the connection to the terminal block in the middle. The advantage of this technique is the that there are less wires through the terminal block (so you can use larger gauge if you want) and less plug/socket connections between mains-in and your equipment.

Adjust the lengths of the cables to suit your system, add VDRs and/or X and Y caps to taste and you have a neat, cheap and effective mains box.

Dave

grub

DIY Powerbox
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2003, 04:37 pm »
Incidentally, I built one of these a few days ago because I needed a fourth plug for my rig (active pre).  I wish I would've looked at this thread beforehand as it would've helped out a lot.  

I picked up all my stuff at Lowes and had it together in about two hours.  I used Cooper hospital-grade outlets (they don't have Eagle outlets anymore) along with a Cooper plug, and Yellow Jacket commercial 12 gauge cabling.  It went together rather easily, and works well.  I'm especially comforted by the extra tight grip the hospital outlets have on my plugs.

For $40 you can't go wrong...I just wish I would've gotten a plastic gang box instead of the metal unit.

-->grub

MaxCast

DIY Powerbox
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2003, 05:01 pm »
"The grip"

Yep, it can be a bitch reaching around an epuipmint rack trying to plug in a cord at a wierd angle.  Man those suckers are tight!