Super Alnicos - Need an active crossover recommendation

MarkR7

Interested in your thoughts on a great sounding and good "bang for the buck" active crossover to use with my Super Alnicos... I would like to utilize a high pass filter (at a slope of 6db/oct thru 18db/oct?) to send the lower bass to my subwoofer to free up the single driver Alnicos from that duty.  It really needs to be as transparent as possible, though I understand I am putting another component into the signal path.

I do have a rather largish room, and the Alnicos are just fine and loud enough for most music, but there are those times when I just want to rock out to some Zeppelin and such, and I can use just a bit more out of them.

A First Watt B4 and a Bryston 10b came to mind, but they are way overkill, and a bit too much $$ on the used market.

Other thoughts? :scratch:

Carl V

Re: Super Alnicos - Need an active crossover recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:36 am »
Paradigm X30 at 18dB/octave.

Marchand electronics can help.

Vandersteen uses this principle and there are used XO out there

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2016, 03:33 am »
Interested in your thoughts on a great sounding and good "bang for the buck" active crossover to use with my Super Alnicos... I would like to utilize a high pass filter (at a slope of 6db/oct thru 18db/oct?) to send the lower bass to my subwoofer to free up the single driver Alnicos from that duty.  It really needs to be as transparent as possible, though I understand I am putting another component into the signal path.

I do have a rather largish room, and the Alnicos are just fine and loud enough for most music, but there are those times when I just want to rock out to some Zeppelin and such, and I can use just a bit more out of them.

A First Watt B4 and a Bryston 10b came to mind, but they are way overkill, and a bit too much $$ on the used market.

Other thoughts? :scratch:

If your budget allows, go Marchand.  I have his XM66 variable xover.  Lets you move the crossover point with a rocker switch in real time with a nice LED readout.  Let's you adjust the gain at the crossover point up or down.  Also the gain for the high and low outputs.  I don't hear or feel anything added to the path (YMMV). 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134489.msg1501551#msg1501551

If you want to go a bit more purist, his XM-9 is a set xover frequency but you can buy modules for other frequencies and swap them out manually.  The modules are only $18/pair so you can take your best guess at desired xover and buy a pair for a bit above that and a pair a bit below.  He also has some passive pieces that would be even more purist.

BTW, Marchand argues for a 24db/oct slope (4th order) as the Linkwitz-Riley spec that minimizes any phase issues.  He has a fair about of info on his site:  http://www.marchandelec.com/xovers.html

........Peter

MarkR7

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2016, 07:27 pm »
Thanks Carl and Peter! I will check out the Paradigm and Marchand stuff.... :thumb: