Cartridge Selection and Step Up Transformers

Rocket

Re: Cartridge Selection and Step Up Transformers
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2016, 10:56 am »
Hi,

I used a shure m97xe cartridge a long time ago in a rega rp3 and was really happy with the sq.  Its up to you but I wouldn't spend too much on cartridges with the system that your using at the moment.  I went on to using a number of different cartridges and currently use a denon dl103 with my gold note TT.  The denon dl103 is a low output cartridge and isn't suitable for your phono stage.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to use. Lots of really good advice here.

Cheers Rod

BobRex

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:11 pm »
  The denon dl103 is a low output cartridge and isn't suitable for your phono stage.

Ummm, no.  The Lehman Cube series has an MC stage with a maximum gain of 66dB.  The Denon is fully suitable for that phono stage.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2016, 07:41 pm »
Whoa!  You guys have been busy while I was away.

I have to apologize. My L shaped listening room is really 14X21X7'6" not 14X14.  The 14X14 is where my speakers and listening chair are.  The speakers are placed along the 14' wall.  My listening chair backs up to a kitchen island as the room includes the living room and kitchen/dining area.  The room extends another 10 plus feet behind the chair.  I have heavy, floor to ceiling drapes that sit behind the speakers which sit about 14" off the wall because of their front mounted ports.  They are more than 2' off the side walls.  Audio gear sits on a rack that I built into a door less closet off the listening area to the side of the speakers.  I also have fake plants behind the speakers and in corners.  The speakers sit upon spikes on top of stands that I made out of two layers of Baltic birch that are separated by felt pads.  The table sits on its own shelf of two laminated layers of Baltic birch approximately two inches thick total.  I have a Record Doctor V, a couple of record brushes, an In The Groove record cleaner, some Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solution, and some Moongel, an Audio Additives Stylus Force Gauge, a Zerostat, and a stainless steel 12" ruler.  A copy of Get Better Sound by Jim Smith started me out.  I use an AV3000 PS Audio power center.  I ran a couple of dedicated 20 amp circuits to the closet when I started building that in.  I also ran CAT 6 cable throughout the house then while I was at it.  There's probably a couple of more secrets that I haven't shared.  But that's enough for now I guess.

I really do appreciate all your comments and suggestions.  I know they are all given in the best of spirit, speaking of spirit journeys...

I am going to try writing down the cartridge/arm/transformer, phono stage calculations like in 8th grade algebra to see if it sinks in.  I am not doing well trying to work just in my head.

Buying more records sounds like fun.  I like jazz thus the Cecile McClorin Salvant.  I heard a Nils Lofgren Live lp the other day that sounded good on some Tavish Design gear.  I also like anything acoustic, baroque classical, marching band, folk, pop, rock, etc. 

Btw, I like the idea of selling everything off and building a $20k set up.  But I couldn't live without music in the interim 4-8 week build/delivery period.  It's my spirit journey anyway!  So there...

Best Regards,

Blu

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2016, 08:43 pm »
Neopop,

Thanks for the link to the very thoughtful, complete write up of jsaliga.  Apropos with his use of the Pioneer PLX-1000 tables.  Gives me some pause.  But only in the spending money to get some place better.  I still want to understand about the relationships between the parts of audio systems without becoming an engineer.  Unless by second intention over a long period of time...   Some of the understanding will have to come through reading, some through listening to gear.  I might try a second table though to set up a mono cartridge.  That part is interesting and costs just a little more $ relatively if I stick with the Pioneer PLX-1000.  I don't have a lot of mono lp's at this point though.

Thanks for your comments.

Best,

Blu

mkane

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:40 pm »
  An AT OC9III or a AT ART 9 would be a nice upgrade.

mkane

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:41 pm »
DP Sorry

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2016, 11:40 pm »
Hi mkane,

I am not familiar with the AT line of cartridges yet.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I see they are on sale right now, too. 

Best Regards,

Blu