Which WTL deck?

Norton

Which WTL deck?
« on: 9 Jun 2016, 08:11 am »
Thinking about buying a WTL deck for first time, can someone explain the key differences between the 4 decks up to GTA?  Or in other words what I gain in going beyond the Simplex (and is it worth having) and which deck is the optimum performance/ price  combination? 

Thanks

ADiG

Re: Which WTL deck?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2016, 11:28 am »
The GTA is great, because the tonearm length (10.5 inches) lowers the radial error compared to Simplex (9 inches) and, if still available, the price is cheaper.
The GTA MK2 is the same but with a new look tonearm and  lifter.
In all cases, I recommend the separate power supply DPS

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2016, 02:38 am »
Hi Norton, and welcome!
Please ignore my advice like everyone else, but here goes-
The Simplex is the shrunk down version of the original Amadeus. It actually sounds good, I just hate using the little arm so I always call it a p o s. The Amadeus, now in its Mkll status due to arm changes, is still the apple in the eye, the best value in tables out there. Also one of the best sounding. The GTA is the same except with heavy plinth action. It sometime seems to exhibit slightly more low end, but it's not obvious in comparisons.
The Verselex is the wooded model, since everyone seems wood crazed, like Rob. They want to touch it, see it, talk about it all the time. You might know the types. It also introduced the LTD arm, which was made to also be used on other brands of tables. Doubt anyone normal would do that, but if you knew this group, anything is possible. Then, there's the Firebaugh statement, the Royale 400, the big daddy of the line. 16" tonearm, heavy enough for two. Amazing musicality and low end. Currently one of the best tables out there.
So there you have it. Buy an Amadeus or Royale... two of the best- period. Or if you're in that wood group, then have at it.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2016, 06:22 am »
I will differ from Chaz (threadkiller) here

The Versalex was primarily designed for the US market. It hasn't been popular there but is the preferred choice in the UK. Aesthetically I actually prefer the Amadeus :o but like all the UK dealers that I am aware of and the Importer believe the Versalex has the sonic edge over it. It's a real cross Atlantic enigma!

One thing that is consistent is that ALL those that I know who have heard the 400 Royale wax lyrical about it.  They tell me that the bass is the biggest area of improvement over the other WTL decks which might be a little shy in that region but are still very neutral and musical decks. Ultimately your budget and ears will have to decide as there aren't many absolutes in the hifi game!
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2016, 08:12 am by rob400 »

Norton

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2016, 10:54 am »
Many thanks, so arm-wise, Simplex has 9" version of most basic arm, Amadeus II  is same arm but in 10.5" and with  half alloy half golf ball mount,  Versalex moves up to LTD tone arm but with plain golf ball and GTA has LTD  arm with the alloy/golf ball mount ? Is that correct?

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm »
Many thanks, so arm-wise, Simplex has 9" version of most basic arm, Amadeus II  is same arm but in 10.5" and with  half alloy half golf ball mount,  Versalex moves up to LTD tone arm but with plain golf ball and GTA has LTD  arm with the alloy/golf ball mount ? Is that correct?

No the latest version of the Amadeus GTA and Versalex have the 10.5" LTD arm which both have the half alloy/half ball mount. I found that it made a small but worthwhile improvement over the full ball with my XV1s cartridge.

Damping via the amount of goo we put in the cup is a personal preference thing. My distributer uses hardly any, my dealer likes to virtually cover the alloy half ball. I'm I'm the middle preferring about half the alloy section covered which would be about 25% of the old full golf ball.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2016, 05:57 pm »
That sounds about right.... although one of the heavenly angels told me you had too much...
Ah, another deaf dealer...should mate well with some of our forum members...:)

Norton, ignore all our tongue in cheek,( at least mine)  go buy a WTL, you'll be most happy.
Have good dealer support, make sure it's set up properly, don't try and redesign the poor thing, and get ready to buy lots more records...
Happy listening!