Speaker woofer size

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Speaker woofer size
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2016, 02:28 pm »
James, so there are different versions of the mids and woofers between models, but are the tweeters the same across the models?

Yes tweeters are the same.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2016, 03:02 pm »
So the Model T cabinet was designed and the compliment of drivers and cabinets we went through involved about 5 different aberrations .....

iterations ?  ;)

Yitshak

« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2016, 03:28 pm »
Very nice read James

Finely I have it in one place to show friends
Who always ask when they hear the outcome- how the Mini-T's behave like so.

In real life you and Bryston score even without an opening,
The ball in the basket no doubts.  :thumb:

Itshak

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2016, 04:42 pm »
iterations ?  ;)

Oops - iterations is definitely kinder  :lol:

james

Yitshak

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2016, 05:09 pm »
but it's worth a try to plug up the reflex ports of your speakers to see how well their natural rolloff (when sealed) matches the room's boost. A reflex port extends the flat frequency response lower than sealed, but then rolls off very fast, so the reflex ports could be exacerbating your problem. Plugging the ports to make sealed woofers will improve their transient response and phase response, so it could sound clearer, depending on room acoustics, speaker placement. You might be accustomed to the fat sound of ported speakers and switching to sealed might sound too lean in a big room. But if your small room's boost adds only a little more than the woofer's rolloff subtracts then it could make the bass sound nicely fat in the midbass without too much low bass from the port.

I'm curious,
is it safe to plug a reflex port speaker when driver extrusion and and coils were not design
With this tought in mind?

Is it the same simple aproch when sealing a 3 way and changing the balance or output
Of the mid as well compare to a 2 way??

Yitshak

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2016, 05:22 pm »

I'm curious,
is it safe to plug a reflex port speaker when driver extrusion and and coils were not design
With this tought in mind?

Is it the same simple aproch when sealing a 3 way and changing the balance or output
Of the mid as well compare to a 2 way??

Yitshak

Hi Yitshak

Yes it is OK to plug some or all ports - what happens is the speaker starts to rolloff at a slightly higher frequency.  So if you problem is too much low energy at a given frequency it may help as it will not excite that frequency as much.

Here is an example of the Model T which has 3 ports on the rear - graph shows the different rolloff as you stuff each port in turn.

james

Yitshak

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2016, 06:07 pm »
Thanks

That's very interesting
And good to know that we can use it safely
When In need.

It can be use to advantage
in some room acoustic circumstances.

Itshak

rmurray

« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2016, 03:48 am »
 Well I put a rolled up sock into each port and  it seems to bring down the spare base energy. I will try out at greater volumes when my neighbors are gone tomorrow :lol: :thumb:

rmurray

« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2016, 09:54 pm »
 I may take Redbook's idea of getting a good  equalizer to tame the room ... The DBX 1215 could be put into the tape loop and engaged for  recordings that have over the top base.....I think that's an idea that has fallen from style but has it's lace in cases as mine :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2016, 10:00 pm »
 Why not....? :dance:

spinner

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:09 pm »
 Was checking this idea out too. The parametric type eq units would be the best route but you need to go pro gear like  Manley or API to match the Bryston quality.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:38 am »
I took my DSpeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 to a friend's house who was having a problem with his large ProAc speakers being too boomy.  It solved the problem immediately.  But instead of buying a DSpeaker unit, his ultimate solution was to get some much smaller speakers.