Pure Audio Project Trio15 Voxativ

beowulf

Pure Audio Project Trio15 Voxativ
« on: 12 May 2016, 09:20 pm »
This is a preview of an upcoming review from Dagogo (the link is for a different Pure Audio Project review using the Tang Band W8-1808 coaxial, but the preview of the Voxativ is in the comments section towards the bottom):

God’s Peace to all,

Here is an update that those interested in the PureAudioProject speakers may enjoy; I hereby reveal that I am working on an article regarding the Trio 15 Voxativ. Here is a teaser of my experience to date:

I have been blindsided by the beauty of the Trio 15 Voxativ. I didn’t expect this experience, and it has caused me to reconsider what top end sound is about. With the Voxativ there is a leap upward in terms of the refinement, the characteristics associated with the most beguiling systems. I could take an hour to discuss this – and I will in my review (Actually, it will take many hours to distill it to a review.) -but just as one immediately sees and if given opportunity to ride, sees and feels the difference between a sport sedan and a supercar, so also my ears hear the intensity, the focus, the brilliance of design of the Trio 15 Voxativ immediately.

Frankly, this speaker is causing me to reconsider my conclusions regarding premium sound. I had summarily dismissed single driver speakers over the years as inherently incapable of achieving the experience I wanted, mostly because of their limited frequency response. I also didn’t like the boxiness associated with hulking cabinets and the coloration contributed to the sound. These caveats are both removed by the Trio 15 Voxativ, and my ear tells me I am hearing a genre of sound as legitimate as full range dynamic, big ESL, line source, and omnidirectional speakers. In a nearer field setup the Trio 15 Voxativ is second to none in refinement, something I would not have predicted. I have to toss away my preconception that single driver speakers are more convoluted, less articulate than multi-driver speakers.

I’m still wrapping my head around this development; it’s forcing a paradigm shift in my audio worldview. I always knew that as I am a System Builder I would need to explore single driver speakers. I didn’t expect this one to perform at such a level that from the get-go it has to be included among the very best I have used. But, that is precisely what has happened.

Blessings,
 Douglas Schroeder

They are currently running an introductory pricing of $ 5,490.- shipped from the US.  My only curiosity of them is that they are using crossover (albeit with good components from Mundorf and they are also offering as an option something called a Leonidas crossover named after the designer).  But, I'm just wondering why they wouldn't run the Voxativ AC-1.6 at full range.  Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of adding the premium built full range driver?  Perhaps its an open baffle limitation or something?

More info on the Leonidas:

Leonidas unique fixed serial topology allows careful voicing of the crossover to the specific listening environment, the sonic signature of the equipment, and the personal sonic taste. All of this is done by simply swapping the relevant components to their best values and grade, one at the time, by only a screw-driver and on the same circuit board.