New PC recomendations

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
New PC recomendations
« on: 3 May 2016, 01:17 pm »
Looking for suggestions for a new desktop PC to replace my current machine. Not interested in a laptop. I have a couple of tablets I use already. Mac is not in my future.

Currently running windows 7 64 with an ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card XONAR ESSENCE STX/90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z.
This works well for me but probably not going to be able to use that card in a new machine. Even if it has a slot to plug into, drivers probably no longer exist.

Optical out would work if available. DVD is nice for ripping but can pick up an external..

This forced upgrade is a concern since much of the software I have may not work. I will keep the current machine but use it offline.

Maybe using a streaming device with external HD would be better. Don't know but the search has begun.
Thanks for thoughts and info!

mcgsxr

Re: New PC recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2016, 03:28 pm »
For clarity Bob this is a dual purpose PC - both music and other use?

I run Logitech Media Server on an old netbook that recently updated to W10.  I was able to load LMS 7.9 and get it running right.  Lost only my playlists, not my many many favourites.  This is a dedicated music server for me.  I use a Logitech Touch and a Linux based hacked Pogoplug as my players (streamers).  Both with external DAC's.

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2016, 04:36 pm »
"For clarity Bob this is a dual purpose PC - both music and other use?"

That was my original thought but I'm open to ideas. I do want to replace my PC but does not actually need to be dual purpose....
Now I'm thinking... to bad nothing is happening.

I'm also not as up to date on the latest hardware/servers, ect. Although I have been looking at player software.
A point towards a learning spot for someone with lower computer understanding would help...
Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2016, 04:43 pm »
Hi Bob, what is your Budget?  I have built many desk top computers and also bought computers from cyber power.  They may be above your budget but you can customize just about every component with cyber power.  I built a few gaming computers for my son over the years and it was hard to beat cyberpowers prices.

I would suggest an I-7 or a good quad core I-5 cpu if you have any plans to run audio software like Bug Head.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Bob2

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2016, 04:54 pm »
Hi Bob, what is your Budget?  I have built many desk top computers and also bought computers from cyber power.  They may be above your budget but you can customize just about every component with cyber power.  I built a few gaming computers for my son over the years and it was hard to beat cyberpowers prices.

I would suggest an I-7 or a good quad core I-5 cpu if you have any plans to run audio software like Bug Head.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

What kind of budget would give me excellent sound, ease of playback and make me giggle every time I power up for a listening session???

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2016, 06:10 pm »
If this is a dedicated music server PC you might look at HALs MS-3 PC Music Server link here  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111932.msg1521158;boardseen#new
I have been running the MS-2 PC Music Server for a couple of years and I am very happy with the sound. I run an external DAC with jRiver 21. HDMI cable to Samsung TV for monitor with wireless mouse and keyboard as needed.
This is a music only solution not a multimedia PC, it will do music wonderfully but does not do video, that requires more powerful processor which means more noise inside the PC chassis.
Scotty

Bob2

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2016, 06:34 pm »
Scotty,
I have been looking at Hal unit. It wasn't till today after reading I Greyhound Fan's comments that I really looked at what I need to do.
Thanks very much for the reminder!
Bob2

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2016, 10:54 pm »
Bob, here is a good deal on a high performance PC for about $800 with a 1 TB HD and Quad core I5.  For another $100 you can move up to an I7 and 2 TB HD.  The I5 would do just fine as it runs at 3.5GHz.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z170_i7_Configurator

The benefits of using a PC are that parts are replaceable.  HD's can be added. Music servers are convenient though.