Usher 6 Series Modifications

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher 6 Series Modifications
« on: 2 Nov 2004, 05:35 am »
I had to post this here as it would not be proper to post in a general circle.

Yes, I have done extensive modifications to the Usher 6311. Below is some of the mods performed. Due to the custom nature of most of these mods, they are not laid out on my website. Below are the modifications recently performed on a customers custom ordered pair.

* Crossover capacitors upgraded to consumer's preference with AuriCap, SoniCap, Oil caps or a well thought out combination. (AuriCaps were used in this particular pair).
* Mills non-inductive resistors were used in place of thesand cast units
* The bi-wire capability was removed in favor of a single wire setup to eliminate the sonic robbing dual post and bridges.
* Seperate runs of Sonoran wiring was run from the binding post to each of the crossover boards.
* All internal wiring is replaced with Star Sound Technologies Sonoran wiring featuring Micro Bearing technology
* Bybee Purifiers were installed at both the positive and negative terminal of every driver.
*ALL internal damping material was removed and a predetermined amount and thickness of card wool lines the cabinet walls.
* ALL hardware holding the drivers on and securing the cross-overs was replaced with solid brass hardware.
* A predetermined amount of Micro Bearing fill is placed in the sub-chamber located at the bottom of the cabinet.
* Audio Point were used in place of the stock cones

This was a very time consuming and obviously costly modification but the results were stagering. Everyone who was able to hear these speakers while I had them in the facility burning in was amazed and put them in the leage of $6k plus speakers.
 Due to the time consumption of a modification of this extent, I do not like to take to many on but for those who can appreciate the time, effort,  technology and results involved, they do go on the list.

I have also custom built many pairs of X-708, X-718 and CP-730 with two pairs of X-718s currently on the benches. Further information on these modifications will be posted on my website very soon. There is some new "stuff" incorperated into our mods that has not yet been released.

Now people are going to want to know how the 6311's sounded. Maybe later, right now I need to get to bed. Long day tomorrow.