C & C music server help

Odal3

Re: C & C music server help
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2016, 06:45 pm »
Read this and let us know if you have any questions. If you built up computers in the past, I would say you are almost over qualified for the task  :D

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/638-geek-speak-raspberry-pi-hifi-here/

Some of the dedicated streamer might be better, but the value you get for the pi is unbeatable.

Btw here's a writeup on chromecast: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/677-basic-bit-perfect-testing-35-chromecast-audio/

Firejedi

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:12 pm »
Read this and let us know if you have any questions. If you built up computers in the past, I would say you are almost over qualified for the task  :D

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/638-geek-speak-raspberry-pi-hifi-here/

Some of the dedicated streamer might be better, but the value you get for the pi is unbeatable.

Btw here's a writeup on chromecast: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/677-basic-bit-perfect-testing-35-chromecast-audio/

Any thoughts on whether it is the same with the new Raspberry Pi 3?

Odal3

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:30 pm »
JohnR and others have been playing around with it so they can probaby answer better. I don't think the software has been fully updated yet but it's getting close if not already here. You can still use the RPI3 but last time I checked, it required some manual tweaks using the terminal to get it to work with e.g. Moode. I'm still on RPI2 and don't feel like I'm missing anything from the 3. But if you don't already have USB wifI dongles, it may be easier to use the built in wifI you get with the RPI3. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait until the software has been sorted out and get the 3. But on the other hand, it's only $35 for the 2...not counting the case and psu.

charmerci

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:31 pm »
Don't forget to get an extra external backup drive or two. It's going to take a while to back it all up and if you lose it, it's a real pain.

Odal3

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:33 pm »
Don't forget to get an extra external backup drive or two. It's going to take a while to back it all up and if you lose it, it's a real pain.
+1000.  Best advice so far in the thread :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2016, 07:45 pm »
+1000.  Best advice so far in the thread :thumb:

Not only did I get a virus once - I soon lost a external HD soon after that. Been fortunate otherwise.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:02 am »
Best Buy has an Asus laptop on sale this weekend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-chocolate-black/4831400.p?id=bb4831400&skuId=4831400

Any thoughts?

I've never been a huge fan of Celeron processors, but for something that will only be dedicated to the audio task it may be enough.

I plan on loading it up with FLACS (or other file type) and connecting to my DAC with USB.  Will also use it for streaming Pandora, maybe Tidal.

On a side note, I picked up a Google Chromecast Audio to play with to give me a temporary solution.

Another bad idea. If you like your sources with a big dose of noise go right ahead. If you can't fork out the $500 or so for something new like a Auralic Mini or Bluesound Node, even a used squeezebox or Mac mini would be preferable.

charmerci

« Reply #27 on: 24 Apr 2016, 11:04 pm »
Nonetheless, thanks for the heads up on the Asus laptop - I got me one as mine is 5 years old now.

Odal3

« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2016, 04:37 am »
Forgot to mentioned that the most important thing of all is make sure you pick a hardware platform that supports a user-interface that you can live with. Afterall, the interface (JRIVER, mpd client, HQ player, roon, foobar or whatever you may prefer) is what you will use all the time so it's important to make sure you really really like it. Nothing worse than trying to play some music and it's too cumbersome to use or the software have many bugs. So I really recommend to take a look at the suggestions in the thread and other you consider and and make sure your preferred player will be supported and user-friendly before determining what to get.

90% of the time I would pick a system that is easy to use and the whole family can envoy it over a complicated but perfect hardware/software set-up

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2016, 10:50 am »
Forgot to mentioned that the most important thing of all is make sure you pick a hardware platform that supports a user-interface that you can live with. Afterall, the interface (JRIVER, mpd client, HQ player, roon, foobar or whatever you may prefer) is what you will use all the time so it's important to make sure you really really like it. Nothing worse than trying to play some music and it's too cumbersome to use or the software have many bugs. So I really recommend to take a look at the suggestions in the thread and other you consider and and make sure your preferred player will be supported and user-friendly before determining what to get.

90% of the time I would pick a system that is easy to use and the whole family can envoy it over a complicated but perfect hardware/software set-up

This. I continue to use free Logitech software as the interface is great.  Free helps too. 

I run LMS on an aging netbook with 2GB RAM.  Ipeng on the iOS devices and it is a go.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 25 Apr 2016, 11:48 am »
Another bad idea. If you like your sources with a big dose of noise go right ahead. If you can't fork out the $500 or so for something new like a Auralic Mini or Bluesound Node, even a used squeezebox or Mac mini would be preferable.

Noob question here Jon, why is a laptop noisy and a Mac Mini not?  And what advantages does something like an Auralic Mini have over both of those?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:47 am »
Noob question here Jon, why is a laptop noisy and a Mac Mini not?  And what advantages does something like an Auralic Mini have over both of those?

A Mac mini is not noiseless - just less noisy than a standard Windows laptop. For one, the screen on a laptop generates a lot of noise as does the battery / charger and many other components. A typical laptop is optimized to do the myriad thousand different data processing as cheaply as possible.  They are not optimized for low noise or audio playback. Even all the different functions / processing it performs running the Windows operating system is a detriment to sound quality as it generates heat and noise. A typical Windows machine is literally running hundred if not thousands of processes all the time in background. That why you see stripped down versions of Windows or Windows "optimizers" out there intended to severely curtail all those processes that are not critical to playing back a music file. I've heard a demo from even one of the audiocircle guys here the difference between a file ripped with all the same hardware, just one with a totally stripped down Windows OS and the other with regular Windows, and the differences in resolution between the two and blcker background were substantial and easily audibly noticeable.

An Auralic Mini - like other stripped down Linux streamer boxes - has the advantage over a standard PC  of running minimal hardware and a stripped down OS just to play music, all of which generates less power consumption, heat, and noise. You could attempt to build your own and use free third party software, but honestly the Aries mini is already so cheap and the software basically decent and capable of playing and doing much, I really don't see the point unless you really like to tinker. After discounting for the $240 annual tidal subscription, it's a little over $300. Yes, you could get a very cheap laptop for less, by its not going to sound better, be any easier to use, require routine maintenance (updates, virus & malware software, etc etc) and given Windows proclivity to go senile after a few years of use, will probably require a fresh reboot / OS reinstall after a few years.

So that's why at the risk of sounding like a shill for Auralic, I recommend the Aries Mini to people who are looking for the least expensive dedicated digital audio streamer. And for those who don't need to do DSD and want a warmer more full sounding internal DAC, the Blusound Node. For most I actually recommend the Bluesound Node, if nothing else because no one seems to have a problem setting them up and the technical support is very good - and considering my personal profit for a Mini or Node is not more than $15, I literally can't afford to spend hours with someone troubleshooting.  If I know the customer is relatively computer literate and more of an audiphile who wants to do DSD, use it as a streamer only, or do upgrades such as linear power supplies, I recommend the Aries.

Hope that helps!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2016, 02:15 am »
Yes it does, thanks!  Very succinct and yet completely clear.  Outstanding post.

charmerci

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:01 pm »
Best Buy has an Asus laptop on sale this weekend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-chocolate-black/4831400.p?id=bb4831400&skuId=4831400

Any thoughts?

I've never been a huge fan of Celeron processors, but for something that will only be dedicated to the audio task it may be enough.

I plan on loading it up with FLACS (or other file type) and connecting to my DAC with USB.  Will also use it for streaming Pandora, maybe Tidal.

I picked up this computer. I downloaded the JRiver 21/22 onto it and my old 2011 Acer laptop - and yes, it actually makes a difference in the sound! The new Asus gets rid of a lot of HF harshness on less than perfect recordings. I'm glad I got one.