Fat is back, baby!

ctviggen

Fat is back, baby!
« on: 3 Apr 2016, 09:19 pm »
I just seared my steak in home-made beef tallow, from fat from a grass-fed cow (we bought 1/4 of a locally grown and butchered cow).  I'm also cooking mushrooms in bacon fat and butter (from grass fed cows).  We also made home-made lard, from a half pig locally grown and butchered. 

I also bought The Art of French Cooking by Julia Child and will soon buy and cook a goose and keep its rendered fat for other cooking. 

At our house, we use all fats from animals and non whatsoever from seed oils (no canola, no soybean, no vegetable oils).  We still use olive oils and avocado oils, but not for cooking.

Anyone else brought real fats (not from seed oils) back onto the menu?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Fat is back, baby!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2016, 09:22 pm »
I use pig fat, great to fry and cooking, bestered only by coconut oil.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2016, 10:57 pm by FullRangeMan »

borism

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm »
For me the ideal is variety (vegetable vs animal) and moderation. We have also bought local grass fed beef (1/4) and acorn fed pig (1/2) in the past. They were very good.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2016, 11:28 pm »
Natural fats are healthy, including animal fats. Just eat a variety of all types, but strictly avoid processed garbage fats like trans fats. The less processed the better. I'd even look carefully at vegetable and corn oils. They're often not as healthy as you'd think, but people cook with them a lot because they're cheap and hold up to high heat (frying). When you don't need to cook with high heat, use extra virgin olive oil or similar varieties like avocado oil.
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2016, 03:39 am by RDavidson »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2016, 02:23 am »
I'm a duck fat kind of guy. 8) :thumb: