Mag

Re: Need advise where to look with Bryston gear
« Reply #40 on: 9 Apr 2016, 10:23 pm »
It might be a case of too much kitty.  :dunno:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #41 on: 10 Apr 2016, 12:11 am »
Another thing you might try  :D. I notice you are using treatments. (imho) there is a direct correlation between room treatments and the internal dampening of speakers. So what I see is a heavily treated rear wall using heavy internally damped PMC speakers. Since the treatments are already up go into your PMCs and pull out all the internal stuffing. Start with all of it. Do not listen too loud but figure the best internal dampening amount by putting more back in as you go. This will help with the intensity or tension in the soundstage..lightens it up. Makes it sound more floaty ....lol.

PMC's are transmission line speakers and that " internal stuffing " is a big contributor to how those transmission lines work. It is literally part of the design. It is absorptive material which is there to allow only select low frequencies to exit the transmission line. Remove it and you will likely have a seriously negative effect on the speakers' performance. You will also almost certainly void what I assume is the 20-year PMC warranty.

From your photos, you need to reposition those speakers more than you need to replace them. If there is nowhere else to put them during your renovation, you may have to just live with the suboptimal sound as you could take almost any speaker, set them up too close to the back wall and stick one in a corner and you'll be no further ahead of where you are now.

D.D.

werd

« Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2016, 10:13 pm »
PMC's are transmission line speakers and that " internal stuffing " is a big contributor to how those transmission lines work. It is literally part of the design. It is absorptive material which is there to allow only select low frequencies to exit the transmission line. Remove it and you will likely have a seriously negative effect on the speakers' performance. You will also almost certainly void what I assume is the 20-year PMC warranty.

From your photos, you need to reposition those speakers more than you need to replace them. If there is nowhere else to put them during your renovation, you may have to just live with the suboptimal sound as you could take almost any speaker, set them up too close to the back wall and stick one in a corner and you'll be no further ahead of where you are now.

D.D.

You are just a scaredy cat. No one will lose their warranty on removing fibreglass (like) material. If drivers go they do not want the whole speaker. They will only want the driver back. They will never know. Just do not crank it with no stuffing if it makes one nervous. I was not suggesting leave it with no stuffing but it helps form a point of reference to start with none. 

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:32 am »
Space does seem like a premium there....  :scratch:

Like in any Megapolis 15 mln + in the world :)

It seems, that i have got to sound which i can live with until renovation of main room is complete. A least 30-40 sm from the back wall, enough space between Speakers gives 60-70% of what i heard in terms of envolving and comfort in 20 sq room with 1 m from the walls to speakers, and 2 meters between speakers.

Gibalok

« Reply #44 on: 30 May 2016, 09:38 am »
Im writing to show the solution i have. So i have changed the speakers to Penaudio Cenya Signature.
And i didnt ever listened such a balanced, natural, deep melodic sound.

Rocket

« Reply #45 on: 30 May 2016, 09:53 am »
Hi,

The speakers look to have a reasonable width now so you should obtain higher quality sound.  Glad you're enjoying the new
speakers.

Cheers Rod

Gibalok

« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2016, 09:55 am »
Thanks
Also i tried manley shrimp as a preamp. And it seems to be a little bit melodic than bp26 in my case, so im trading my bp 26 at the moment.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2016, 11:49 am »
Im writing to show the solution i have. So i have changed the speakers to Penaudio Cenya Signature.
And i didnt ever listened such a balanced, natural, deep melodic sound.

You really should try to move away from the side walls. Your R-speaker is too close to the wall. 

Enjoy your system.

memota

« Reply #48 on: 30 May 2016, 11:54 am »
That's a big tv yes? Show us the rest of the room so we can help place it all.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2016, 04:46 am by memota »

guest61169

« Reply #49 on: 31 May 2016, 04:44 am »
If you are going to place it like that you might as well sell it all and get a Bose radio.

Gibalok

« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2016, 05:00 am »
I have NAD Viso 1. And it sucks against this system anyway :)

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jun 2016, 06:03 pm »
Hi

Yes the MIni A is a small 3-way  bookshelf and does not have the same output capability of the larger Middle T's. The Mini A's have been getting great reviews and in a smaller room perform very well.

All the Bryston speakers have the same design philosophy so it is not a matter of "Better - Best". It is a matter of matching the speaker to the room as well as desired volume levels and frequency response capabilities.

One of the mistakes I think some make is that bigger is better - but if the larger speaker pressurizes the  room excessively they can sound dull and lifeless due to sever standing wave issues. Sometimes a smaller speaker in that same room will sound much better because it is not exciting all the room nodes.

Remember that when you listen to a speaker you are not listening to the direct on axis frequency response of the speaker you are listening to the overall 'Sound Power' of 'that' speaker in 'that' room!

james

Quote of the century!  :thumb:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #52 on: 12 Jun 2016, 06:56 am »
If you are going to place it like that you might as well sell it all and get a Bose radio.
+1.
The bad sound stage definitely is not caused by the gear, but by a complete lack of knowledge and the refusal to listen to suggestions.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #53 on: 12 Jun 2016, 11:32 am »
Speaker positioning, and synergy with upstream gear/room dynamics are critical for excellent pinpoint imaging.

audioMirror

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jun 2016, 03:34 am »
You really should try to move away from the side walls. Your R-speaker is too close to the wall. 

Enjoy your system.

I agree.  Symmetry in speaker placement is very important for soundstage (and keeping them away from walls is a good idea no matter what).

It sounds like the OP just didn't like the character of the PMC speakers in his room.  That is entirely possible.  Good sound starts with the front-end, but you have to live with the tonal characteristics of the speakers (plus, I find that the speakers and amp should be considered a unit.  Always audition them together).  If different speakers work for him, that's great.

I had mixed feelings about PMC speakers.  There was loads of excitement and energy, but there was also a distortion that I think would fatigue me over time.  Still, I was tempted (ended up with Revel Ultima Studio, second hand).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jun 2016, 11:06 am »
It is one of the issues our industry faces today with the interior decorators or total emphasis on the so called WAF.  "I want a great sound but I do not want to see any gear"  is often what I hear.  This is not the case with Gibalock obviously as his is just more a restriction on where the speakers need to be placed - I am sure it is very frustrating for him but it is what it is and all he can do is try and make the best of it till other options allow him more flexibility in placement.

The interior decorators simply do not understand IMO the physics involved in setting up or placing a stereo speaker system in a room to allow for the things that make a great stereo great - namely Soundstage, Dynamics, image placement etc.  Folks its a sad state of affairs and I feel for people who spend many thousands of dollars and never ever realize or experience the full potential of what a great audio system can do and the enjoyment it can bring to their lives.  All else is elevator music!

james