New Subwoofer

StevenACNJ

New Subwoofer
« on: 30 Oct 2004, 01:03 pm »
I recently got a new subwoofer from John @ Aespeakers.com formerly Stryke.com.

It is heavily constructed from 1.5" thick mdf. Cabinet alone weighs in at over 85lbs. Internally braced. Veneer is fiddle back maple. All verticle coners are rounded off.

Front driver is 12" Lambda, side passives are 15". 300 watt plate amp from Art of Sound. Same plate amp that are used in Rell subs.

Bass sound is very tight and musical. Finish is absolutely first rate!

All this for about $1600.

Pictures in Gallery: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=435

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
New Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2004, 02:12 am »
Nice sub !!! Now you know what I'm wondering....do those nick-nacks stay in place when it's on ??? :o
    http://[img]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=4090[/img][/list:u]

JoshK

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:58 am »
    very nice looking!  beats all the REL's I've seen in the looks department easily, probably the sonics department too, for the same change.

StevenACNJ

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2004, 12:00 pm »
    Lonewolfny42,

Yes they stay in place  :lol: . The sub is built like a rock. Nothing moves or rattles at all.

John_E_Janowitz

• www.aespeakers.com
    New Subwoofer
    « Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2004, 05:48 am »
    I figured I'd just pop in and give a little more info on this sub.  The veneer is a 10mil paper backed FiddleBack Maple veneer.  It is cut at a different angle than a standard flat cut curly maple to give a tighter grain.  It is applied with a 3M water based adhesive.  

A lot of care is put into the veneering to get all the seams done properly.  We first do the veneer wrap, then spray with one coat of a Sayerlack catalyzed polyurethane base coat before trimming the edges.  We use a spiral downcut flush trim bit in a laminate trimmer to trim up the edges.  The first basecoat helps to hold the veneer together at the edges and eliminate chipping.  This, combined with the spiral downcut flush trim means there is no chipout at all along the edges.  After the wrap is done and trimmed, the top and bottom veneer is put on.  It is sprayed and trimmed like the wrap.

Then everything is sanded to a 220grit.  Two more coats of the basecoat are applied filling up all the grain.  A final sanding is done with 220 on the basecoat .  Three coats of the clear topcoat are then sprayed on.  This topcoat alone is a very high gloss, but we are going for a piano type finish here.  After the third coat is dry, the entire enclosure is wetsanded with 600grit and then 1500grit paper to a very smooth finish.  Then it is buffed with a 3M fast cut buffing compound and followed up with a 3M swirlmark remover.  The end result is a nearly glasslike finish that you can see yourself in.  The following is a picture during the spray process just showing the nice figure to the maple.

The pictures don't do it justice.  I didn't get a chance to actually take any of the finished enclosure before it shipped.  I do have some from during construction that you can see in the gallery here:

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/modules.php?set_albumName=album03&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

The cabinet itself weighs about 85lbs.  Built from 2 laminated layers of 3/4" mdf with one brace vertically.  The PR's being on opposing sides cancel all the net forces on the cabinet so it stays very still.  

John

Double Ugly

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2004, 02:43 pm »
    Very impressive work, John.  

Welcome to AC.

DU

John_E_Janowitz

• www.aespeakers.com
    New Subwoofer
    « Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2004, 03:46 pm »
    I just realize that gallery was not set to be viewed by everyone.  It should work now.

Thanks for the compliment DU.

John

Kenobi

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2004, 04:38 pm »
    Hi,

Just wanna add that that is one damn fine-looking subwoofer!  Now if it sounds half as good as it looks then you should be doing a lot of business really soon if not already.

:D

Kenobi

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2004, 04:41 pm »
    Hi,

Just wanna add that that is one damn fine-looking subwoofer!  Now if it sounds half as good as it looks then you should be doing a lot of business really soon if not already.

StevenACNJ

New Subwoofer
    « Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2004, 07:03 pm »
    Quote from: Kenobi
    Hi,

Trust me it sounds better than it looks!