Master Built Ultra Speaker Cable Review

gammajo

Master Built Ultra Speaker Cable Review
« on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm »
Ultra Speaker Cable Review

My system has been stable for past year using a Master Built Signature loom including power cords and speaker cable with Ultra Interconnect. My equipment includes an Ayon CD5s Transport-DAC-Preamp combo with NOS tubes, Nuforce/NuPrime Reference 20 mono amps and VR55 Aktive speakers.  I used a variety very well known (to me) recordings from many genres for this comparison. I was extremely happy with my system and felt that the Master Built Signature line was the best that I had heard. But after discussions with other Ultra users and the VSA team I felt it was worth auditioning the Ultras.

These are my initial impressions bringing Ultra biwire speaker cables into my system after they were four days in the VSA factory cable cooker and thirty hours at home. 
In the first hour of play, the Ultras seemed less relaxed, liquid, open, and warm which I attributed to break in.  Yet I immediately noticed the bass (particularly deep bass) sounded and physically felt more dynamic. It was fuller with better differentiation of tone and timing cues. For example soft background drum strikes could now be heard as hitting slightly different parts of the drum head and what I thought before was a uniform beat could now be heard as perhaps a half tone alternation of frequency and slight variations in loudness to maintain the beat. Thus rhythm and timing were better conveyed. Double bass string and wood were better conveyed and all bass had more punch and finesse.

Other enhancements were much more subtle - they did not jump out but unfolded as I relaxed and enjoyed the music. These included cleaner definition, a substantial increase in air, and clearer positioning of instruments within the sound stage. I newly noticed very faint sounds such as the shift of musicians position right before playing as they approached their instrument, I could more easily hear shifts in my equipment's warm up cycle, soft massed strings deep in the background sounded more differentiated, lively, and life-like, massed strings that before tended to sound a bit smeared sounded clearer. where the recording allowed there was a dramatic increase in depth.

Approaching the twenty hour mark I noticed that grand scale music such as full organ sounded grander and better grounded in the bass, and beautiful lyrical music sounded even more gorgeous and lilting.  The pieces I was playing felt shorter than usual in the sense that I would be absorbed in them and then surprised to hear that they were ending - this has never happened to me before in auditioning any system change.  There was also a sense of being drawn deeper into the musical field and the story being created by the players, and a better sense of the players and their personalities if you will, not just instruments.

Again all these changes except the killer bass and the amazing expansion of the soundstage air and depth, were very subtle because the Signatures are already so excellent. Yet taken as gestalt the effect was a substantial increase in feeling that you were at a live performance and being invited to be swept away with the music rather than by the music - if that makes sense.  Paradoxically given that the bass was much fuller yet better defined, the whole of the music felt much more nimble and airy in the way that live music sounds

As the Ultras relax and open they are soaring in a straight line towards perfection.  They do not seem cool, rather dead-on-neutral. I suspect that what you will hear is mostly what your other equipment is capable of and this may be a good bit more quality than you thought, given that with Ultra you are removing so much distortion from the system. If you want a touch of warmth or forgiveness of any harshness, the copper Signatures may be better, for example with a computer front end and mid solid state. And the Signature cable is indeed stellar in its own right. But with most turntables (I suspect), with very high quality digital, and with my tubed Ayon preamp, there is a natural warmth conveyed. In any case all this enhanced detail is never glassy, hard, harsh, peaked, or at the expense of the organic wholeness and balance of the music. It just sounds like a clearer window. At this point you would have to pry the Ultra out of my cold dead hands!

I will post any additional impressions as the Ultras settle further in.  Happy Listening!

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
Re: Master Built Ultra Speaker Cable Review
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2016, 12:03 am »
Great review!

The pieces I was playing felt shorter than usual in the sense that I would be absorbed in them and then surprised to hear that they were ending - this has never happened to me before in auditioning any system change.  There was also a sense of being drawn deeper into the musical field and the story being created by the players, and a better sense of the players and their personalities if you will, not just instruments.

The transparency of these cables in combination with the incredible accuracy and low distortion of the VR55s sucks you into the music with an immersive quality that is hard to resist. On various occasions, I've had friends visiting me who are not audiophiles and I would casually put on some music while we were chatting. Without exception, they would simply stop talking and fall into the music, totally engrossed until I lifted the needle and the music stopped 8)

They would invariably ask if I could play more - which would lead to an evening of almost exclusively listening to music :lol:

On one occasion, the wife of one of my friends literally started out the front door telling her husband over her shoulder to find another way home as he kept asking me to play another selection :duh:

As the Ultras relax and open they are soaring in a straight line towards perfection.  They do not seem cool, rather dead-on-neutral. I suspect that what you will hear is mostly what your other equipment is capable of and this may be a good bit more quality than you thought, given that with Ultra you are removing so much distortion from the system. If you want a touch of warmth or forgiveness of any harshness, the copper Signatures may be better, for example with a computer front end and mid solid state. And the Signature cable is indeed stellar in its own right. But with most turntables (I suspect), with very high quality digital, and with my tubed Ayon preamp, there is a natural warmth conveyed. In any case all this enhanced detail is never glassy, hard, harsh, peaked, or at the expense of the organic wholeness and balance of the music. It just sounds like a clearer window. At this point you would have to pry the Ultra out of my cold dead hands!

Yup - well stated - these cables simply get out of the way and you hear everything that's going in in your system (good or bad!) :thumb:

You'll find they continue to improve in subtle ways for many hours yet - I've yet to hear any cables that so completely remove themselves from the music...

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:07 pm »
 :D

gammajo

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:16 pm »
MtJoe Thanks for writing. Sounds like you are a happy camper too! What music cuts do you find draw in non audiophiles, the subtle or the dramatic?

I was taught and felt that you got every thing else right about your system and then started to play with cables. Now I am leaning toward get the best cables you can afford first, so you can really read the potential of your current equipment and any equipment you might audition.

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:56 pm »
MtJoe Thanks for writing. Sounds like you are a happy camper too! What music cuts do you find draw in non audiophiles, the subtle or the dramatic?

I was taught and felt that you got every thing else right about your system and then started to play with cables. Now I am leaning toward get the best cables you can afford first, so you can really read the potential of your current equipment and any equipment you might audition.

Regarding music selection, I tend to go with some specific vinyl selections that I feel present the most natural, analog sound with wide and deep soundstage and low distortion. A sampling of the selections that fit this category - in no particular order (imho):

• Eagles - Eagles (first album) - huge soundstage!
  • Miles Davis - almost any of his albums but Kind of Blue and Seven Steps to Heaven
  • almost anything recorded in the Church  :thumb:
  • Pink Floyd - anything but Meddle and DSOTM in particular
  • Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments (some of the best recorded piano I've heard)
  • Thelonious Monk - Criss-Cross (same here wrt piano)
  • Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
  • The Doors - Soft Parade (the title track has mind blowing dynamics, transparency, and distortion (as in none) on a good copy)
  • Fleetwood Mac - The Pious Bird of Good Omen (first track is awesome!) and Mystery to Me (Hypnotized is a personal favorite and simply amazing sound)
  • Al Green - Still in Love With You (a personal favorite - just listen to the organ on these songs! - and Al's breathy and perfectly modulated voice comes shining through)
  • David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name (truly stunning sound quality!)

Of course, the music itself needs to have impact  :duh:

Regarding starting with the cables - I tend to agree with you as I went through some tribulations at first with the Ultras as they revealed some harshness in my system that wasn't in evidence with the previous cables. At first, I attributed this to the Ultra cables but after some poking around, realized it was an issue in my source - meaning there's a benefit to starting with truly transparent cables as you will hear exactly what each component you insert into the signal chain is doing to your sound.  :scratch:

Of course, it can be difficult to justify this approach when you are building out a system and I would add one caveat - I firmly believe you should start with the speakers as they will define the ultimate personality and quality of the sound you will be able to get out of your system (i.e. the transducers are the single largest contributor of distortion in the system and no other component in the system can correct for this).

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2016, 12:22 am »
Terrific selection... I have about half those.

I've got a few of my own,, and my 55's sure highlight the dynamics, transparency and soundstage;

Roberta Gambarini-Easy to Love CD--- I've seen Roberta several times incl the Telluride Jazz Fest and The Blue Note in NYC.. She has an Ella like purity and range and she can scat her butt off..
Junior Wells-Come on in This House-"Give me One Reason" made popular by Tracy Chapman... Stunning
The Hot Spot Soundtrack---Chad Kassim from Acoustic Sounds gave me a heads-up on this one at RMAF..  Everyone from Miles to John Lee Hooker... ALL BLUES.
Mighty Sam McClain-Soul Survivor CD ck out "When the Hurt is Over".... starts slow and then BOOM.  Terrific piano and vocals...
Private Investigations:The Best of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler CD-Calling Elvis... terrific pacing, searing guitar and percussion work and silky vocals.
Stevie Ray Vaughn-Tin Pan Alley
Alan Parsons Project-IRobot CD, title track-cross btwn PF and Tangerine Dream
Robert Plant from The Principle of Moments CD-I'm in the Mood.. Robert at his transparent pitch perfect best
Eric Clapton's Unplugged and that steady kick drum...

enjoy!

Ric Schultz

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:12 am »
How much do these cables cost?  Is it some kind of secret?  I have never seen anyone post a price on any of the Master Built cables (at any level).  Is there a price list somewhere?  Do you have to call someone just to get info?  Why such a secret? 

tvyankee

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:02 am »
It's not really a secret.  They are like a min of 2500 or more for a meter interconnect  and double for a speaker cable.

This is not a knock it's just what it is.

Look if your happy spending this kind of money so be it.

maxima95

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2016, 02:49 pm »

How much do these cables cost?  Is it some kind of secret?  I have never seen anyone post a price on any of the Master Built cables (at any level).  Is there a price list somewhere?  Do you have to call someone just to get info?  Why such a secret? 

The poster asks legitimate questions.  In another AC thread, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140706.0, questions about prices were asked, and not answered.  Though other superficial information was provided.

There is a paucity of information about these cables.  Apparently, you have to email someone to get it.  If this is not a secret, it is the next best thing.

While no one expects them to provide trade secrets or proprietary information, is there a web site containing some basic information on them, to include pricing?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2016, 02:55 pm »
The poster asks legitimate questions.  In another AC thread, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140706.0, questions about prices were asked, and not answered.  Though other superficial information was provided.

There is a paucity of information about these cables.  Apparently, you have to email someone to get it.  If this is not a secret, it is the next best thing.

While no one expects them to provide trade secrets or proprietary information, is there a web site containing some basic information on them, to include pricing?

Post of the year!

gammajo

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:02 pm »
Questions about price are legitimate. Best I know and VSA can chime in, the folks in charge of the cables are at this time are getting the price list and a website firmed up. The VSA folks have been so busy lately given the popularity of their speakers that everyone is working to max capacity. I am reluctant to post prices that I was quoted here because there may have been changes since my purchase many months ago. But it is correct that a simple call (they do usually answer in a few rings) to VSA at (951) 682-0706 will satisfy your questions. It is not like a secret club or anything.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:39 pm »
Questions about price are legitimate. Best I know and VSA can chime in, the folks in charge of the cables are at this time are getting the price list and a website firmed up. The VSA folks have been so busy lately given the popularity of their speakers that everyone is working to max capacity. I am reluctant to post prices that I was quoted here because there may have been changes since my purchase many months ago. But it is correct that a simple call (they do usually answer in a few rings) to VSA at (951) 682-0706 will satisfy your questions. It is not like a secret club or anything.

I can build a website in a matter of minutes & have prices posted. :(

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #12 on: 5 Mar 2016, 04:39 pm »
Hello friends,

I feel that AudioCircle is a great place for posting just about everything except retail prices.  I feel that posting retail prices here would be crossing a line, which is why I don't post our speaker retail prices.

MasterBuilts website is under construction and with all the different cables being photographed it is taking a little while.

As far as the Ultra cables are concerned, they are very expensive but still less the the Nordost Odin 2's. And the difference in performance is HUGE.

If you are interested in pricing, you can email me or call.

leif@vonschweikert.com

951-682-0706

tvyankee

« Reply #13 on: 5 Mar 2016, 05:49 pm »
Hello,

I dont think its crossing any line. Many people in the Industry post pricing all the time.  If you post here that will be a lot less emails you will need to answer and a good way of saving some time.

Just a thought.

gammajo

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:42 am »
Update - My wife has been in Hawaii for these two weeks as a balance to my stereo purchases. She had a great time swimming with dolphins and whales. Meanwhile I have played my system nearly non stop, putting many hours on my new Ultra speaker cables, so thought I would post a follow-up.
The Ultras, great out of the box (see initial report) continue to improve. They became more open, relaxed, and liquid. I have been working through many recordings that I have not played in a long time, and about a third of them surprise me with shockingly new levels of sound stage depth with the Ultras. Other recordings are revealing delights in new found micro detail particularly in the highs yet still with no etch, grain, or over-prominence. Bass also continues to improve in impact and definition, enough so that I turned down the bass adjustment of my 55's a touch compared to when using the Signature cables. I am happy enough with the Ultra to consider this a substantial system upgrade which I judge to beat any currently contemplated upgrade to pre-amp or amp, and so I  boxed up my Signatures to ship back to VSA as part of the trade upwards. If anybody is in the market for a pair of well broken in but excellent shape Signatures VSA should have mine by today.
I talked to Albert this week and he states that several longer term Ultra owners are stating that in the first 6 months to a year one can expect continued improvements particularly in richness, fullness, and warmth. So I am listening happily, noting the biggest improvements over the terrific Signatures on very well recorded pieces including classical, large dynamic orchestral such as organ and piano concertos, live recordings, and some new age and world music. Sixties rock not so much change but even some Taylor Swift stuff is very impressive. Hope this helps give an idea of what is going on.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:08 pm »
Update - My wife has been in Hawaii for these two weeks as a balance to my stereo purchases. She had a great time swimming with dolphins and whales. Meanwhile I have played my system nearly non stop, putting many hours on my new Ultra speaker cables, so thought I would post a follow-up.
The Ultras, great out of the box (see initial report) continue to improve. They became more open, relaxed, and liquid. I have been working through many recordings that I have not played in a long time, and about a third of them surprise me with shockingly new levels of sound stage depth with the Ultras. Other recordings are revealing delights in new found micro detail particularly in the highs yet still with no etch, grain, or over-prominence. Bass also continues to improve in impact and definition, enough so that I turned down the bass adjustment of my 55's a touch compared to when using the Signature cables. I am happy enough with the Ultra to consider this a substantial system upgrade which I judge to beat any currently contemplated upgrade to pre-amp or amp, and so I  boxed up my Signatures to ship back to VSA as part of the trade upwards. If anybody is in the market for a pair of well broken in but excellent shape Signatures VSA should have mine by today.
I talked to Albert this week and he states that several longer term Ultra owners are stating that in the first 6 months to a year one can expect continued improvements particularly in richness, fullness, and warmth. So I am listening happily, noting the biggest improvements over the terrific Signatures on very well recorded pieces including classical, large dynamic orchestral such as organ and piano concertos, live recordings, and some new age and world music. Sixties rock not so much change but even some Taylor Swift stuff is very impressive. Hope this helps give an idea of what is going on.

And, placement???????????????????????????????

gammajo

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:30 pm »
Sunday - My friend was not able to come, so saved that project for another day. Too busy enjoying the way things are at the moment