New member looking to assemble a reasonably priced forever system.

pslate

Buy used  :thumb: Also use your local resources. Duke/Audiokenesis is in that area I think. It can be so hard to strike gold on your favorite speakers on your first few times, but by buying used your performance for dollar ratio skyrockets. Also controlling speaker/lust id, and the search for a non- existing holy grail is so hard, but if you can be happy not searching for the last 10th of performance you can save enormous amounts of money. Trading post here is great, much better than Audiogon in my personal opinion. Lastly kits are a good option too if you can build and want something new. If you are blessed with woodworking skills and have tools and space that may be a great option for you. I have controlled my new speaker lust for about three years now. I think I need some sort of AA medallion or something. 

stmess

I amp really surprised at all the responses and do appreciate it.
I am retiring from my second career and downsized to a 130 year old Victorian home in a small town.
I retired from my first career as a professional musician years ago so I know what live music sounds
like.  My most recent home theater system was NAD electronics and Monitor Audio Silver speakers.
My most recent two channel system was Cary electronics, Sonus Faber speakers, and a Velodyne
subwoofer.  What I need now is a stereo system that I can also use for TV sound.  I am thinking of
Harbeth-Spendor-ATC type standmount speakers, no sub, an integrated amplifier, and likely an Oppo
disc player.  I really appreciate a clean-liquid-transparent midrange, sweet highs that are not too
prominent, and taut bass that need not be that extended.
I will read up on the Omega speakers.  I have heard most types of speakers over the years but have
not experienced Omega type speakers with SET amps but will research them.
Thank you again for the nice replys.
Steve       

roscoeiii

I'm not sure how well Omega will work for dual TV and music duty. Especially if oomph and impact is desired. That's a single 4.5" driver. Laws of physics still apply to those speakers, as nice as some of the qualities of high efficiency single driver speakers are.

On the other hand, damn I love those ATCs, especially the active models. Really impressive. From what I have read recently and from audio friends' accounts, Spatial may be another brand worth looking into. If you can have those speakers out a bit into the room, as they are open baffle they need some space behind them.

Good news on both is that you've got the option to return them if not satisfied if you buy new. Spatial sells direct with a good return policy. ATC is carried by Music Direct, which has a 60 day return period. I think two of the guys at Music Direct own ATCs. So maybe you can call them to talk about the speaker (ask for Chris or Mark, and tell 'em Roscoe sent you).

opnly bafld

I am thinking of Harbeth-Spendor-ATC type standmount speakers, no sub, an integrated amplifier, and likely an Oppo
disc player.  I really appreciate a clean-liquid-transparent midrange, sweet highs that are not too

:thumb:

I like this thinking.
ATC SCM 11v2 fan (Harbeth and Spendor aren't too shabby either  :wink: ).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Yes, nice selection of speaker brands, any would do nicely.  For the amp(s) I would talk to Klaus at Odyssey Audio or Frank at AVA, both here on AC.  They can both supply products at almost any pricing you could want, within reason, they have good return policies if you don't like something, and their sound signature would be what you described.  I'm pretty sure they both have integrated amps, but you may want to consider separate components when you see the prices.  And of course AVA is mostly tubes and hybrids with Odyssey being solid state, Frank's stuff is a bit more laid back than Klaus' amps, both having sweet top ends, lush midrange, and powerful bass.  NuPrime and Digital Amplifier Company are two I'd also put on my list, but I haven't heard anything but Tommy's older D.A.C. Cherry amp in person, which was very nice. 

Folsom

A budget would be good.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
A trip to an audio show would cost more than many good equipments due airfare, hotel and food etc.

But it could be a way to avoid expensive mistakes.  That would make the trip worth it and there might be other places in those cities where he could dump the family. 

Just sayin'.

OzarkTom

Audio shows are the pits and waste of time and money. I went to over 25 shows and most rooms sounded low fi. Even the 100K+ rooms.

For audio and  video, active speakers would be the best. ATC actives that matches your room probably would be one of the top choices. Stay away from low powered tube amps for video.

tabrink

• lake life is good
I amp really surprised at all the responses and do appreciate it.
I am retiring from my second career and downsized to a 130 year old Victorian home in a small town.
I retired from my first career as a professional musician years ago so I know what live music sounds
like.  My most recent home theater system was NAD electronics and Monitor Audio Silver speakers.
My most recent two channel system was Cary electronics, Sonus Faber speakers, and a Velodyne
subwoofer.  What I need now is a stereo system that I can also use for TV sound.  I am thinking of
Harbeth-Spendor-ATC type standmount speakers, no sub, an integrated amplifier, and likely an Oppo
I will read up on the Omega speakers.  I have heard most types of speakers over the years but have
not experienced Omega type speakers with SET amps but will research them.
Thank you again for the nice replys.
Steve     

Well I was totally in your shoes.. Spent way too much and wasted money.
Ended up with my forever system:
Tortuga Passive  pre
Channel Islands 200w mono blocks
Matrix Sabre DAC
Oppo 105D
LS-6 speakers by Danny Ritchey
Sounds sublime and it really is good enough!
Do not even tempt myself anymore!  :lol:

Folsom

I wouldn't consider ATC if I wanted home theater boomin-ass levels. Their amps will burn up if pushed too long because the heatsink is inadequate for the output at any sort of sustained, non-music, level.

But if you just watch TV and don't want earth shattering SPL for movies you'd be fine with most stuff.

stmess

Like you Tabrink after 50 years my goal is to get off the equipment merry go round.  By the way nice line source speakers!  Opnly bafld has a great system that is along the lines of what I will end up with, you found a great little known amp also.  I listen to acoustic music at a reasonable volume and want voices and instruments to sound real, not into special effects.
Thanks all.
Steve

roscoe65

But it could be a way to avoid expensive mistakes.  That would make the trip worth it and there might be other places in those cities where he could dump the family. 

Just sayin'.

It is also one of the few ways many of us can engage other hobbyists in real life.  Many of us spend as much time thinking and talking about our audio systems as we do listening to them.  Going to a show is not a substitute for buying audio gear, but rather a supplement.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hello,
I am a new member living in north Idaho.
I have gone through too much audio equipment over the years and at my age can no longer afford the revolving door.  I have been guilty of using music to listen to my equipment and am transitioning back to using my hi-fi to enjoy music more.
I was surfing the web for speakers and a pair for sale led me to this site.
I look forward to perusing the various areas for posting.
Thanks,
Steve
Mr.Steve I just remember: to avoid a preamp purchase cost buy a amp w/volume control as Decware Rachel.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm