doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: sleepkyng
decided a tuner might be nice

how are those tivolis?

cheers

my <$100 digital hitachi ft-8000 outperforms my tandberg 3001a sonically...  and, it's no slouch reception-wise, either.  so does my <$100 analog philips 185...dunno about the tivoli, but if ya have a magnum dynalab md-108, & it hasn't been modded, these two cheapies i own will likely outerform that as well...   :wink:  

doug s.

rosconey

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:06 pm »
might look for a old sansui also-i have 3 rare ones and they perform great.

doug s.

• makin' music
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
might look for a old sansui also-i have 3 rare ones and they perform great.

yes, the sansui's are *really* nice, but you'll have to pay >$100 for a tu-517 or tu-717.  and, the ones i mentioned are actually a hair better, imo...

doug s.

ohenry

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2004, 05:06 pm »
Tivoli's are okay if space is limited, but you'll need the portable PAL to get stereo (not the Model One).  

I'm thinking of getting one for a second system that could do double-duty as a portable.  I believe the headphone jack provides a stereo signal.  BTW, Bolder makes a quality interconnect to accomodate hook up.

Rich Carlson

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2004, 09:02 pm »
The Tivoli is fine if mono is all you want.  But you can buy some fairly nice tuners on Ebay for less than $100.  In the past year, I've purchased a Dynaco FM5, an NAD 4020A, and (my favorite) a Sherwood S-2400, each for less than $80.  (Why buy 3 tuners, you ask? Hey, I'm spending my time on Audiocircle, what more do you need to know ... :roll: )
Rich

sleepkyng

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2004, 09:04 pm »
i know how you old classic types are ;)

i'm interested in the pal (thinking that another hunk of metal in my dorm room might be too much)

is the pal as good as the model one?

doug s.

• makin' music
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2004, 09:11 pm »
Quote from: sleepkyng
i know how you old classic types are ;)

i'm interested in the pal (thinking that another hunk of metal in my dorm room might be too much)

is the pal as good as the model one?

jeez, sleepykyng...  WAKE UP!!!   :lol:  

a good tuna will easily equal your best cd or winyl source, w/a strong signal & a clean broadcast.  and, how much room does someting like this take up?

http://springair.org/d_20238_Hitachi_FT_800065411.htm

this one, at 59 euros, may be a tad overpriced, imo...

doug s., ol' fuddy-duddy

rosconey

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2004, 09:16 pm »
as much as i like my sansui tuners the lack of a remote led me to buy a jungson tuner-cost more than you want to spend though.mine is a custom  luxury edition case, polished stainless with a laser cut wood remote :mrgreen:

sleepkyng

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2004, 11:55 pm »
i'm diggin the pal, fellas, i know that's sacralige to some of you geez...i mean fellas  :D  

i like that it's portable and that i can plug it into the stereo etc etc.

Beezer

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2004, 01:30 pm »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I need some clarification!

a good tuna will easily equal your best cd or winyl source, w/a strong signal & a clean broadcast. and, how much room does someting like this take up?

I've seen you write this more than once and it confuses me.  Isn't the original source at the station a vinyl or CD playback system?  So, you start with whatever their source is, it travels through their signal amplifying equipment, it is picked up by your antenna, processed by the "tuna", then amplified by your system.  

How can that sound as good as the same software, processed in home by a high quality CD or vinyl rig (probably better than the one at the radio station), and sent through the same cables to the same amplification in your rig?!?!  Maybe the radio starts with better vinyl or one of those fancy tape systems, but that's about the only way this makes sense to me.  Is there some technology in the tuner that makes this possible?

Thanks,
Beez

doug s.

• makin' music
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2004, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: Beezer
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I need some clarification!

Quote:
a good tuna will easily equal your best cd or winyl source, w/a strong signal & a clean broadcast. and, how much room does someting like this take up?

I've seen you write this more than once and it confuses me. Isn't the original source at the station a vinyl or CD playback system? So, you start with whatever their source is, it travels through their signal amplifying equipment, it is picked up by your antenna, processed by the "tuna", then amplified by your system.

How can that sound as good as the same software, processed in home by a high quality CD or vinyl rig (probably better than the one at the radio station), and sent through the same cables to the same amplification in your rig?!?! Maybe the radio starts with better vinyl or one of those fancy tape systems, but that's about the only way this makes sense to me. Is there some technology in the tuner that makes this possible?

Thanks,
Beez

all i know is it will sound *at least* as good as whatever source the radio station is using.  it is true that if a station upgrades their front end, you will hear the difference in your rig.  if you have wery revealing preamp/amp/speakers, even a half-decent pro-audio set-up (which is what most fm stations run), would sound mighty nice if plugged directly into your rig.

on more than one occasion, someone has come over when i was sitting in the "sweet spot" listening to fm.  they'd come in, take a seat, be in awe at the sound, & ask what i had cued up.  when i'd tell 'em "i dunno, it's the radio", they'd look at me in disbelief, & walk over to where the gear was, to werify there wasn't any winyl or cd's cued up.  hearing is believing!   :wink:   but, if ya listen mainly to commercial pop stations & the like, it will sound like crap, as these stations inwariably play music that was compressed when recorded, & then they further compress the hell outta the signal at the station.  no dynamic contrasts at all.  a dbx 3bx or the like, will come in handy for listening to this type of broadcast.  fortunately, there's a coupla stations i listen to that have nice programming, *and* broadcast a quality signal.  if they went away, i'd sell my all tunas.  one reason i financially support my fave (non-commercial) station.  for anyone who has a rare gem of a (non-commercial) station in their listening area, SEND THEM MONEY!!!  it's an endangered resource, & will give so much more long-term musical pleasure than something like a power cord upgrade...

and, re: remote control tuna, i find this not necessary, as the stations i listen to generally are yust playing music.  but, if ya really need one, i'd recommend a revox b261, which has a remote control option.  these aren't cheap, but they sound excellent, & are not a lot more than many remote tunas presently f/s.  and, considering it will sound better than anyting made by m-d, for example, they are a freaking bargain, imo...

doug s.

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:47 pm »
sleepkyng,

You know that the Tivoli PAL will output a stereo signal, right?  The Tivoli Model One will only output a mono signal.

sleepkyng

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2004, 03:50 am »
so the Tivoli pal is the one i want!

soundboy

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2004, 04:05 am »
Quote from: soundboy
sleepkyng,

You know that the Tivoli PAL will output a stereo signal, right?  The Tivoli Model One will only output a mono signal.

I am so sorry....let me clarify.  The PAL will output a stereo signal from its headphone jack; you won't get stereo from its speaker.  But you can hook up the PAL to an integrated amp via its headphone jack and get a stereo signal.

From Tivoli's website....

Also on tap is an auxiliary input to connect a CD, MP3 player, or other device, and a stereo headphone output for private listening (headphones not included), as a recording output, or to use the PAL as a high-quality outboard tuner.

sleepkyng

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2004, 05:41 am »
does the pal have an ac hookup?

i think i'm set on a PAL

is the quality of the tuner the same as the model one?

soundboy

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2004, 08:38 am »
The PAL comes with a rechargeable battery, but it needs an optional wall wart for DC operation.

Looks like the PAL uses the same circuitry as the Model One.

I am looking to get one myself.

Beezer

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:13 pm »
hearing is believing!

My philosophy exactly - I'm just having a hard time with it conceptually.  I'll have to try one out, although I'm not sure about the quality of the stations here in Ithaca.  

Beez

sleepkyng

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2004, 04:08 pm »
i'm sure ithaca will have great stations!

isn't cornell there?

Psychicanimal

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2004, 12:46 am »
Quote from: Beezer
hearing is believing!

My philosophy exactly - I'm just having a hard time with it conceptually.  I'll have to try one out, although I'm not sure about the quality of the stations here in Ithaca.  

Beez

Who cares?  Just dial in 92 WICB...kicks ass!!! :mrgreen:

I know Doug knows his tuner specialty, tough I don't share his overly enthusiastic perspective on quality.  It's a thermodynamic impossibility if your playback equipment is above certain point... :wink: