The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Tyson

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #840 on: 21 Dec 2019, 01:48 am »
OK Tyson you twisted my arm. :lol:    I listen to 5 songs that I’m very familiar with and my first impressions are:

There is more detail and it’s cleaner and more defined. The sound stage got bigger and more filled in and a little wider with nicer separation. I kind of expected the above to some degree but what I found surprising was the mid bass has much more impact.

I’ll let it burn in a couple of more days and report back.

A lot of it is probably the wiring!  But some of it is certainly that little Path Audio resistor.  Those are like $30, but WELL worth it. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #841 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:24 am »
I had over 250 hours on the caps, resistors and speaker cables, which did add some detail and better separation, but there more now and cleaner.

mikeeastman

« Reply #842 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:39 pm »
Another change I noticed is that I have to lower the volume 3 or 4 db to play at the levels that are comfortable, I would have expected the opposite as the wire is slightly small gauge then what it replaced.   :dunno:

mikeeastman

« Reply #843 on: 6 Jan 2020, 06:18 pm »
I’ve got my upgrades done and burned in. I did three upgrades and I burned each one in for at least 200 hrs before tdoing the next upgrade. The first was replacing the Sonic bypass caps on my notch filter in my x-overs with Milflex caps and the mills resistors with Pathaudio resistors. This had the same effect as when I replaced the rest of the bypass caps with Milfex before. There was an increase in detail and a bit more dynamic.

The next upgrade was new speaker cables, they are made up of a combination of Neotech gold/silver and Neotech silver wire covered with a cotton sleeve. Agin an increase of detail and the separation got more distinct and  cleaner.

The third was a rewiring of the tweeters and mids with Neotech gold/silver wire. WOW! what a difference that made. I’m sure the two prier upgrades add to this, but still what a jump. The detail is incredible, the separation of the instruments and vocals is very clear and everything is just cleaner sounding. The mid bass has more punch and presence. Everything is more dynamic and  engaging. The change I liked the most, is now the vocals have this silkiness, especially on female voices,  that I just love.

Have to give credit to Danny for designing a speaker that what ever you do to it or the system it just comes though.

I have a new all in one unit coming in the next week to replace all my existing electronics, that is suppose to take all the improvements I’ve made  to the next level, according to someone with a very similar system, I will let you know.

Tyson

« Reply #844 on: 6 Jan 2020, 07:28 pm »
Mike that looks awesome!  All you need now is some of these and your crossover will look exactly like mine, hahaha!:

On a more serious note, you are right - the Super 7s are amazing in that they never ever become the bottleneck in your system.  Any change made upstream is heard perfectly clearly through them.  I've made a ton of changes (like you) and keep waiting for them to "top out" and they never do. 

titaniumheads

« Reply #845 on: 8 Jan 2020, 03:58 pm »
so I cut the grill frames for my super 7s in half and just covered the woofer section. I like the way it looks. Not a very good picture of them.

Early B.

« Reply #846 on: 8 Jan 2020, 04:01 pm »
so I cut the grill frames for my super 7s in half and just covered the woofer section. I like the way it looks.

Good idea. Definitely looks better.

Captainhemo

« Reply #847 on: 8 Jan 2020, 05:34 pm »
Making me  cry Greg  :( 

At least there's an easy option for  folks    !!

jay

Ric Schultz

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #848 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:49 am »
Mike,
The coil you want on the midrange is the 12 gauge copper wax coil Jantzen.....way better than the 14 gauge and probably way, way better than whatever small coils are in your speaker.  Even a single Neo 10 with a 12 gauge copper foil wax Jantzen is simply killer (my own speaker).  You can use a 14 or 16 gauge Jantzen for the highs.....you need to replace the coil in the filter with a Jantzen as well.....everything makes a difference.   Remember to go into the inside foil of the coil for best sound.