The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

tdangelo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 90445 times.

titaniumheads

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #720 on: 8 Jul 2019, 06:21 pm »
I will try a few things tonight. I dont have REW but I have omni-mic. I have 2 traps on the front wall, one on the back corner and one corner is open to a closet. They are GIK tri-traps with diffuser plates. The reason I am thinking its the room is before I had the VMPS/RMX speakers and 2 additional HSU 15" subs and still had little bass.

mlundy57

« Reply #721 on: 8 Jul 2019, 06:48 pm »
I will try a few things tonight. I dont have REW but I have omni-mic. I have 2 traps on the front wall, one on the back corner and one corner is open to a closet. They are GIK tri-traps with diffuser plates. The reason I am thinking its the room is before I had the VMPS/RMX speakers and 2 additional HSU 15" subs and still had little bass.

That and the fact you had a lot of bass in the garage.

Captainhemo

« Reply #722 on: 8 Jul 2019, 07:12 pm »
You could try removing some , or  all, of the traps  and see what happens.
You  could also try  moving the speakers around  to see if makes any diference.  furniture can also    cause issues.... it all  becomes part of the  equation :(

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #723 on: 15 Jul 2019, 08:26 pm »
I posted some final pics of the  finished Super 7's over   here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159096.msg1751308#msg1751308

This  is the original prototype  pair so  wanted  to keep   them in that  thread  for people interested in   building a  paor  can see the results.

jay

SteveKi

« Reply #724 on: 17 Jul 2019, 02:51 pm »
Bringing things back on topic.  In my quest to remove ALL non-copper parts from the signal path and replace them with better quality copper parts, I've gotten one of the last major pieces removed and replaced - the RESISTORS in the crossover. 

Buh-bye Mills M-Resist Supreme (a nice resistor, actually) and HELLO Path Audio copper resistor:

Tyson,
Can you post a close up of your crossover and list all of your upgrades.
TIA,
Steve

Tyson

« Reply #725 on: 19 Jul 2019, 04:35 pm »
Tyson,
Can you post a close up of your crossover and list all of your upgrades.
TIA,
Steve

Sure thing - here's a recent pic of the now-crazy amount of copper I have in the Super 7s:

Wiring is all VH Audio UP-OCC foamed teflon hookup wire.  My previous reference wire was the Neotech UP-OCC w/solid teflon.  The VH stuff is decisively better, IME.

Tweeter 10uf cap is Jupiter copper now, midrange 15uf is Jupiter copper now, the inductors are all Jantzen copper film and wax dielectric, the resistor is a copper Path Audio. 

The only non-copper parts are the film caps I used to replace the 56uF Erse cap that was originally in there.  I would love to put copper there to but that's horribly expensive and I'm not sure it would be a huge improvement since it's not directly in the signal path.  Maybe if I win the lottery one day, we'll find out....